Sign in to follow this  
Marsha Cassada

Gardening

Fingers crossed you have plenty hiding underground :)

Coriander is one of those herbs you either love or hate. I really like it , it goes really well with Asian foods and with Fish.

Please click here to view our members Mini Horses, Ponies, and Tack for Sale ads!

Our garden is a disaster!  NOTHING took....except onions .... We have a squash and  some tomato plants in pots that are flourishing.....Weird.

Its been an unusually hot dry year here, cant remember when we had rain last, maybe a month ago. My garden was late getting in since we were helping my son and daughter in law move to a different town when I would normally have been planting. Still for being 3 weeks late its doing okay. My greenhouse is a jungle with tomato plants and they are really producing altho the the fruit are almost entirely green yet. The peas are podding now finally and it looks like its going to be a bumper crop, beans are producing pretty good but I'll see when they are done  just how many I get since its a new variety this year. Cauliflower finished early and the broccoli set its main heads a month ago, just enjoying the little side shoots now. My carrots aren't great this year but I've got enough to share with those near to me who don't garden. In all I'd say its not been a bad year for the garden considering its only the second summer in this new place.

Marsha, I really like your water feature. I bet its relaxing to listen to it gurgle and watch the birds.

A guest at our garden club meeting yesterday has a greenhouse.  Her engineer husband designed it so it would heat his shop in the winter.  Our group is looking forward to touring it soon to see how it operates.

Our water feature is coming together.  We got two more boulders placed, which will help define the dry stream bed area.  Planted the blue rug junipers; they will have nice year round interest.

I worked in my garden all morning, thinning the strawberries, trimming the squash plants, pulling up moss rose and the giant kale.  I want to plant some new kale; the old was getting rather tough-leaved.  I'll plant some more lettuce in a few weeks.  Possibly when it cools off a little the squash might perform better.

I planted some herbs in pots undercover. Its still too cold to put anything in the garden beds. I also planted two small magnolia trees into pots , to go on the back deck in front of the bamboo.

My Almond is blossoming , so the better weather must be coming , right ? :rofl

I enjoy reading about everyone's gardening, time constraints kept me from planting my usual very small plot except for basil that is a must for me (!).

One interesting thing happened though.  The hard freeze last winter killed my lime tree that I had grown from a seed and last year was the first crop, I had about 100 limes from it, very sad to lose it.  I had thrown fertilizer around it hoping for a recovery but to no avail.  On an impulse I tossed a handful of gourd seeds in that spot and here is what happened with no other work from me. I can see about 12 so far and new babies are still appearing.  Hope it will be a successful crop.

SAM_0548.thumb.JPG.5d553a594e7612b16a5da198c2d5bcb1.JPGSAM_0550.thumb.JPG.0feae977cbefae4c75e4454ffd4124d1.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry you lost your lime tree. Just when it was ready to give you a really good crop, mother nature decided to have her say. 

Im with you on the basil, Ive always got one growing as I use it in so many food dishes:) 

Poor little lime tree!  The gourds look amazing.

I put our 5 barred rock chicks into the garden today while I clean their container.  They are having a great time picking around in the asparagus.  They jump down for drinks and snacks, then jump back up into the asparagus.  It's quite a tall jump; sometimes they have to try more than once.   So cute to watch.  They are too little to do any damage.

chicks in garden.jpg

chicks in asparagus.jpg

• Like 1