mini fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob32racing

Reaction score
Im wanting to redo or actually build a new fence for my two minis. Im just curious as to how high everyone is going? My plan is 4x4 wood posts and either 1x4 or 1x6 rails. Im thinking if i use 1x4 i would space them 12 inches apart. With three rails i would be 48 inches tall. Im not worried about other animals getting in or out. Just keeping my two minis in the fence. What are everyones ideas?

Welcome to the Forum bob32racing.

I have full size fencing as I also have large horses. If there is one piece of advice I can give you is that "have fence, will rub"
default_yes.gif
( especially if its new )

On the inside of the paddocks I use for the Minis I have two electric fence tapes. I didn't apply them in the beginning and found that my Shetland liked to use the new fencing as a hammock. As I also didn't have electric tape across the gate, I soon had to replace that due to rubbing.

If your going to use wood railing then thats another reason Id apply a tape to the back, it will stop them chewing the fence. You could also apply a sealant to the fence, its a bit like the stuff parents put on fingernails to stop them from chewing.

The electric fence unit I use is connected to "mains " power. The battery one I tried first just didn't quite cut it , but the mains unit has been brilliant.

Keep us posted on the decision you choose

Im not a huge fan of electric fences. I guess i have one up but have never turned it on. Thats why i was wamting to do a wood fence, so its more secure. Wires wont move, posts wont move etc

Electric fencing is an excellent option. Many people use it in addition to permanent fencing as it keeps the animals from leaning on the fence, reaching through for that greener grass. Or stallion dynamics. Yes, posts and wires can move!

I think there are fewer fencing accidents with electric than with conventional types. Horses rarely get their legs and heads caught in it.

Mine is usually not even on; I turn it on for a few days if I see they are beginning to question it. We use T posts 10' apart. The only downside to electric is monitoring it for stuff that gets caught in it or grows up into it to short it out.

Most of my mini fencing is 4x4s with 1x6 rails covered in "No climb" fencing and reinforced with one line of hot tape.

Like Marsha said, I don't have to have the hot tape on much, just once in awhile as a reminder. The hot tape is mostly to prevent them from scratching their bums on the fence.

Ive got 4 strands of fence now 12 inches apart. I havent had any problems. Thats why im looking into a wooden fence as i just like the look.

Absolutely agree with you , they "look" much better than wire fencing, I have a black wooden post and rail front fence that Ive just replaced alot of the rails due to the heat buckling them. The "weather " will play a major part in the deterioration of wood.

I am in Australia though, so it gets very hot here.

If cost is no object, a wooden fence does look great -- until the little stinkers chew on it and climb through or over a time or two. (Don't laugh -- I've seen it.) Another thing to consider -- small horses are nearly hidden by a wooden fence. We positioned our house and its windows specifically to be able to see them, I'm not about to block our view. (Planting my new garden beds has been a challenge. I love monstrous, rambling old garden roses, but not in the way of seeing my kids!)

My choice is 2x4 no-climb with a hot wire top and bottom. You can buy it in black now, which looks rather nice, and you could use wooden posts or paint the t-posts black. I choose not to use electric by itself, but a top and bottom hot wire will keep your horses off of your fence.

We have talked about wooden posts instead of t-posts on the fenceline closest to the house, but if we do that there is no moving the fence, which we've done numerous times.

Latest posts

Back