2017 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a little wall cupboard at the thrift store. It is actually pretty nice for being Walmart China. But it had some rough useage--broken door, latches broken. I've got it all apart and the door repaired. My husband had to help me get 3 of the screws out; they were so boogered they had turned into rivets. I'm painting it white, then will probably distress it. I was going to put 1900 magazine pages in the back, but I'm thinking I might put old linoleum. Totally different look. I ordered new screws; got the flat screw driver kind as they are more vintage looking than phillips.

I could put fabric in the back; or cork; or Kraft paper; or vintage wall paper. It needs new shelves; probably will buy glass. No idea what I will do with it, but it's a fun project. I like to repurpose things rather than just sending them to the landfill.

I could put fabric in the back; or cork; or Kraft paper; or vintage wall paper. It needs new shelves; probably will buy glass. No idea what I will do with it, but it's a fun project. I like to repurpose things rather than just sending them to the landfill.
Bet you could find some fun vintage look fabric to put in the back.If you haven't looked lately, glass shelving can get rather spendy. I opted for wood in my cabinet, as two glass shelves cost more than a half-sheet of oak plywood (we still have over half of it left for other projects). [i did buy stain and polyurethane, but have plenty of that left too.] We bought the cabinet at an auction, the shelves were missing.

Be sure to share a picture when you are done.

I used the 1909 magazine pages. The vintage page color seemed to go best with the paint. And my old linoleum is not the right color for the bathroom, where I think I will use the cabinet. I papered over all but one shelf slot, so will just need one piece of glass; the shelves were too close together to be useful for me. It's coming along. Just waiting for my screws to arrive. If I put it in the bathroom, that will mean total rearrangement of everything on that wall and probably some purge.

I finished the little cupboard. I lined it with 1909 magazine pages. Had a glass shelf cut for it. I made the knob out of gourd. You can see some of my pearl buttons and my sea horse buttons inside. Total cost: $5. Interestingly, I saw the same cupboard in another town's thrift store a few days later. It also had a broken door and broken hardware. The cheap little shelves were still there but the top was missing. I paid $2 for mine and this one had $11 on it.

shell7.jpg

knob.jpg

shell0.jpg

Crocheted a harness for my chihuahua, Roxy. Didn't use a pattern just measured her as I went along. I don't have a small d -ring so that will be sewn on once I find the size I need and I will crochet her a matching leash then.

DogHarness1.jpg

DogHarness3.jpg

She looks as though she is ready to go for a walk and show it off! You are a wizard crocheter!

I just finished a new phone bag for my mom. The turquoise one is for a flip phone, but she got a smart phone and needed a larger bag. This pattern is all one piece, no joining (I hate joining).

phonebags.jpg

Crocheted a harness for my chihuahua, Roxy. Didn't use a pattern just measured her as I went along. I don't have a small d -ring so that will be sewn on once I find the size I need and I will crochet her a matching leash then.

DogHarness1.jpg

DogHarness3.jpg
Oh my... I love this! How cute
default_smile.png

A friend gave me this pattern for a tabletopper, and I've finally decided to try it. Think I'll make two with this fabric, as I have enough fabric to do so, then try other fabric to make a few more.

Still sewing it, so it's just laid out. Pattern calls for the corners to be cut off to make it an octagon.

2017 - placemant - rebeccas rose.jpg

Fresh and springlike! Would it be possible on your next one to center a rose in the middle? I think that would draw the eye in. I love rose fabric.
I've already cut the fabric, and didn't think of it. If I have some strip left of that fabric, I can see about fussy cutting a rose for that piece.

What do you think of the octagon shape? It should lay nicely on a table. You are so quick.
I rather like it, it's different and doesn't look like it needs to fit a specific size table.

I still have to layer, quilt and bind them, but the pieces are big and the pattern pretty straight forward, so it wasn't too time consuming.

The vendor took my gourd buttons to the show in FL and sold all but the two flowers. I have requests for more. She said I am now officially a studio button artist. It will be fun to see some of the buttons on competition cards. I'm working on more dragonflies with sparkling eyes, a monkey, and two lighthouses. A nice sparkle will be inset on the lighthouses to indicate the light. And I want to do a crayfish, since I am enjoying the little one in my aquarium.

Working on this for a guild project, we are making quilts for local Vietnam veterans.

It's only about half the size it needs to be and I'm out of red/white/blue fabric; I've ordered some blue with white stars and a red/white/blue fabric that says peace and love, need more white on white too. I was hoping to just use stash fabric, but don't have enough r/w/b fabrics for that.

2017 - guild patriotic - start.jpg

This is the one I made earlier that I already turned into guild for the first round.

2016 - quilt guild patriotic quilt project.jpg

It's amazing when we start looking through our stashes and find them deficient! How could that be when we have so many goodies? The woman who did my machine quilting does quilts for vets also. What a great project!

I'm not sure about peace/love on a vet quilt. That used to have a sort of anti-military connotation. (Where were you in the 60's? Maybe you were not born yet.)

Blue with stars sounds perfect. Remember the Columbus fabric collection for the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America? There were some wonderful star and stripe fabrics. I have a few scraps left. I wish they would reproduce those.

Maybe I will donate my Oklahoma map quilt. That would be a good use for it.

The peace love fabric is in red/white and blue. I thought initially it just said love. You're right it might not be right for this project, will check it out when it arrives, if it's not, then it might just go into a few tablerunners for Fourth of July. The blue with stars will definitely work.

[i was barely a thought in my parent's heads in the 60's.]

Did your fabric arrive? Will it work for your project?
The blue stars will be great, but I'm not sure on the Love print, I think it might be too bright. It just arrived yesterday, so haven't really had time to try it out.
I started adding the blue stars, looks good. I tried a chevron print I had, and it's too bright and busy, I think you can see that in the picture; the love print is similar color/bright, so will probably not work either.

2017 - guild patriotic - 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the chevron fabric in there!

Thought you might like to see a peace/love button. This is a Vanity button. That's the collector's term for buttons by garment designers for celebrities. This one was for Sammy Davis Jr. Gee, he is probably before your time! I told a worker at Subway recently that she looked like Sophia Loren and she had no idea who that was. So much for my compliment!

peacelove.jpg

Latest posts

Back