Hours to Drive 2017

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll start.

January 1, I took Dapper Dan out. He had been resting due to a stifle issue, but was ready to do some work. After working with Rowdy for so long, being behind DD was odd. Rowdy is about 35" and DD is 32". Amazing what a different that makes. We went about two+ miles; part paved, part dirt, part gravel. He trotted most of the way. Weather was gorgeous--high 50's--so he was a little warm when we got home due to the heavy winter fur. But several good rolls took care of that. I believe he enjoyed the drive as much as I did.

Peanut was out in the sled for 30 minutes on Jan 1st.

Glad to see this thread has started! Now I need more snow! It's gone :-(

Marsha, it should. I ran across a YouTube video last night that had a draft horse pulling one across a short stubble field. The driver cheesed it up with a BIG ole smile when he passed the camera.

Spanky and I did a 1 mile hand walk on 2 January. It included hills, and a bit of a fit at a mud puddle. As I'm so out of shape, I WANTED a good roll when we got home, but only Spanky got to enjoy it. He was pretty hot...but the 68 degrees had quite a bit to do with that! We'll be doing a few more conditioning/desensitizing walks before I add equipment. We live in a very quiet area that's just 1/10 of a mile out of town limits, so I want him calm in our neighborhood first.

The Otter sled would go across grass I would think, might be a bumpy ride though! I used mine the other day to pull the maunure tubs to the pile and crossed some bare ground with no problem.

Took Dapper Dan out yesterday for our two mile route. He trots most of the way, though we did stop to chat with a neighbor. 5 dogs and 3 cats, so it's always interesting passing their house. Dapper Dan is not fazed by the barking, though.

Temperature was in the 60's, so not too warm for him, though he did enjoy a thorough roll afterward.

He has his Adequan injection today; he is still on the maintenance dose once every 4-6 weeks. I am so happy how it has helped him!

I have had Rowdy out twice on my 2 mile walk. We work on some of his maneuvers on the walk. Doubt I will drive him any more but I don't want him to forget all his lessons. When he goes back to his former owner, he will never do anything again but stand in a pen, but while he is with me I'd like him to get some mental exercise.

DD looks happy in the new picture.

I have not tried the adequan yet for my pony. He is on Conquer HA and doing well so I am holding out.

It's been terribly muddy here so no driving for me. It's going to rain next week, too. :-(

I dug my bridle out Tuesday. After 7 months just tossed in a box, it is D-I-R-T-Y and MILDEWED. It's a decent quality leather, so it should clean up alright.

We've been doing ground driving lessons back and forth to his turnout pen with lines attached to his halter. Also doing turns on forehand, haunches and side-passing in his stall. Totals 45 minutes a day for 4 days this week.

Considering that I drove 347(!) local miles on Tuesday, I think we did alright.

DD looks happy in the new picture.

I have not tried the adequan yet for my pony. He is on Conquer HA and doing well so I am holding out.

It's been terribly muddy here so no driving for me. It's going to rain next week, too. :-(
Hard to believe Dapper Dan is standing by a gate that I can step over. Although, I'm getting to a point in my life where I'm considering opening the gate instead of stepping over it...

I don't know about Conquer. The Adequan is expensive to buy, but it lasts me over a year. The pharmaceutical company figured out the dosage for his weight. From dragging his hind feet and seeing his eyes showing discomfort, he has gone to frolicking like a colt. He has been on it for 2 1/2 years. The vet thought he would require banamine also before a drive, but he doesn't seem in any discomfort at all, so I haven't given him any lately.

The Conquer is an oral paste/gel and it's working, I see a big difference since he has been on it and a dose of vitamin E. I'm going to have him checked over when he gets his coggins done in March and talk again with the vet about the adequan. It's nice to hear a postive outcome with it as I know it will probably be in my future at some point. This particlar pony has days of "stiffness" that is hard to pinpoint.

I drove Rowdy today. Said I wouldn't, but I decided I couldn't stand to let him go to waste. I ground drove him to my circle pasture, then we did circles for half an hour. He did pretty well. Then we went out on the road; a few cars passed us. Back onto the property and by the pond. Some ducks flew up and startled him, but he didn't freak. Finished off with side passing practice and a couple of his tricks. He was a good boy.

How old is Rowdy? Maybe he is maturing and settling into himself. He looks pretty darn good in the last picture (after he got done sticking his tongue out!). Who is your carriage dog? He looks happy with life :)

How old is Rowdy? Maybe he is maturing and settling into himself. He looks pretty darn good in the last picture (after he got done sticking his tongue out!). Who is your carriage dog? He looks happy with life :)
Rowdy is 10. Plenty old enough to have a brain. I think he would do great in an arena or working as a team. If I were 53 instead of 63 I wouldn't hesitate to keep working with him. (My bolting experience with Ranger year before last really put the fear into me. I haven't really recovered. Plus the cow experiences.)

Last night we got home after dark and were chatting with friends in the driveway and Rowdy came strolling up to say hello. I had accidentally left the gate to our circle pasture open. Thank God the boys did not go walkabout out onto the road while we were gone.

The dog is our rat terrier, Buddy. That is his favorite position while I'm driving, right between the wheels.

I guess Rowdy IS an adult by now! I thought he was younger.

I have a friend who raises Jack Russells, is that the same as a rat terrier? They love to be with her horses.

She has around ten of them and I'm embarrased to say that I can't tell some of them apart, they look very much alike and are SO quick it's hard to get a good look at them. She has a solid brown one who is quite handsome.

I ground drove Peanut for an hour this weekend. I don't know if ground driving counts as "hours driven" but I thought I'd list it.

Latest posts

Back