Aquarium

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a small aquarium for Christmas. It can only support a couple of fish and some snails. I also have two teeny blue crayfish. They are the most fun to watch for. I wanted a small one to start; if we like it we can get a bigger one later. This is an acrylic bow front style; it sort of magnifies the interior. Can you see the teeny crayfish?

aquarium.jpg

wee cray.jpg

That is so cool. I love fish, they are so fun to watch. Your crayfish will get much bigger, and in a heated aquarium, will turn bright blue!

The little crayfish are bottom feeders, so they'll help keep things clean. Wish we could have some, but we have Angel Fish, which are rather aggressive and would probably eat them!

I lost a crayfish. I think the water was too warm. We removed the heater. Before I could get the cray out of the water the snails had tidied him up. They found him while I was staring and grieving. It's a jungle. Plan to get a turkey baster which might work better for removing small things than a net. Think I will wait to get another cray until I see how the other one gets along.

Oh that is sad. I hope the second one does ok. We had a goldfish that lived about seven years and we lost him last summer so we bought two to replace him and they both passed away within a couple of months. I did nothing different at all, but they just did not thrive. Before that I had a bottom feeder fish, a plecto-somthing-or-other and he lived 10 years. You just never know which ones while thrive. I did not get anymore goldfish. I do miss them though.

Sorry to hear about your crayfish. They can be tricky. With it being a new tank, the water may need time to adjust and condition with the ph, hardness and ammonia levels. They sell test kits at pet stores for those things. I like the sticky thermometers for the side of the tank so you can keep the temp regulated. Some tropical specimens are so touchy.

I had a 150 gallon Reef Tank and 110 gallon saltwater fish tank. Shrimp and things like that was almost impossible to keep. Where everything else flourished the shrimp would die so I finally stayed away from them. Just some info from past experience.

Carol

The woman I got the crayfish from is also trying to raise shrimp. She's having some luck, but not ready to sell yet. I doubt I will try any of those. I do like the little crays, though. A salt tank would be so cool! The marine things are so colorful.

That is a really pretty tank I like it. I do see your crayfish! that's cool! I'm sorry you lost one of them. I remember Mama having a big tank with a lot of tropical fish, they are so fun to watch. Around here the pediatricians all have huge salt tanks in their offices, they are hypnotizing....I'm like a kid staring at the Clown fish and others with their vivid colors.

My husband and daughter are the fish lovers more than me.....I just feed them. Larry talked about wanting a salt water tank and I said NO.

We have occasional power outages and can only imagine losing hundreds of dollars worth of fish when their heater and filter goes off for any length of time!

Red cherry shrimp are the easiest. But all of them go through death cycles where nearly all randomly die and then a few weeks later, you start to see the survivors. It's a weird & depressing phenomenon.

Bamboo shrimp are large and fun. I had one for a long time that I hand fed. ♡

I just got a 125g tank. Just for my Black Ghost Knife. =) Super spoiled fish.

Red cherry shrimp are the easiest. But all of them go through death cycles where nearly all randomly die and then a few weeks later, you start to see the survivors. It's a weird & depressing phenomenon.

Bamboo shrimp are large and fun. I had one for a long time that I hand fed. ♡

I just got a 125g tank. Just for my Black Ghost Knife. =) Super spoiled fish.
I had to look that fish up. My son used to have a big Oscar. We were temporarily in an apartment during a move. Windows open. They sprayed something on the lawn and it killed his fish.

How unfortunate that you lost one so quickly, they're cute in a crustacean kind of way.

I truly enjoy looking at aquariams. They're so peaceful, and fascinating to see the underwater environment. It's interesting to see the interactions of creatures that are so foreign to what I'm accustomed to. You can keep sharing pictures anytime. I'll keep looking at them.
default_laugh.png

The little crayfish is doing great. I used a tube to drop a pellet of crayfish food in front of him. I got the food from the fish gal. My cray rushed up to it, felt it all over, then abandoned it. I wonder if he took a couple of nibbles? The snails finished it off in a few minutes, though. I was worried about the big snails getting my little guy, but he climbs over them like rocks. I've seen him sitting on a flake of regular fish food for a long time, working on it. Maybe because he is so little he like the fish flakes best.

I think I have too many snails, and I see eggs on the aquarium walls. I think I will get a few out and return them to the fish gal.

I ordered some long aquarium tweezers.

Larry changes the water in our two aquariums about once a week or so.....takes about 2/3's of the water out and replaces it, plus vacuums the gravel. The water is cyphened (sp) into three buckets....Then I go in with my hand and pick the little snails out that are clinging to the sides of the glass and drop them into the buckets. I then use the old fish water to water all of our indoor potted plants.....and we have A LOT of potted plants. (Just counted 19). Those little snails would take over the place if I didn't do that......

Larry changes the water in our two aquariums about once a week or so.....takes about 2/3's of the water out and replaces it, plus vacuums the gravel. The water is cyphened (sp) into three buckets....Then I go in with my hand and pick the little snails out that are clinging to the sides of the glass and drop them into the buckets. I then use the old fish water to water all of our indoor potted plants.....and we have A LOT of potted plants. (Just counted 19). Those little snails would take over the place if I didn't do that......
Maybe I will throw mine out into the farm pond. I store my water lily in the heated horse tank during the winter (my little garden water feature is not deep enough to keep it from freezing). I could put the snails in there. Maybe they would keep the tank cleaner!

If you ever have any questions about your fish aquarium feel free to message me. My dad owned an Aquarium business for 16 years so a lot of his knowledge rubbed off on me as I was growing up
default_smile.png
It's quite pleasant to have a fish tank.

Latest posts

Back