In foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Debbie she is such a sweetie wish my others had the temperament she has, but yes mona thats what i thought when vet confirmed that she was only 2 so had the egg count done and came back at 100g so not worms but could be encrysted red worm however they cause abdominal swelling at the beginning of spring and were well in to summer and I had a 2yr gelding with a worm burden and ulcers and sadly lost him and she shows no of the symptoms, he did get bloated but it was at night and gone down by morning and hers doesn't its big and round always it just doesn't stick out from behind any more, also just out of interest the gelding would also get swollen eyes and the full moon which vet said was down to the worms wjich i found strange but interesting when i researched it

These pictures was taken 14th june the second night from buying her, and the last 3 or now..

DSC_0984-1280x720.JPG

DSC_0987-1280x720.JPG

DSC_1024-1280x720.JPG

DSC_1110-1280x720.JPG

DSC_1315-1280x720.JPG

DSC_1189-1280x720.JPG

I tried what Ryan said but she won't tolerate me being in that position but i see lots of movement in the flanks when they hollow but they have filled out over the last few days ill try fathom how to post a video but im not sure if its muscle spasms with her being under weight

bless her heart she wasn't in very good shape when you got her was she? In the bottom photo her topline has filled in nicely and she looks wonderful. In both sets of photos her belly is large.

She really wasnt in good shape at all Debbie, i'd say she was maybe 1-2 body score her neck felt terrible, but she is making progress and think a couple more weeks she'll be a nice weight just will take a little while longer to build some muscle but we have some lovley hills to climb i think she's going to make a fantastic pony

Shes looking great and I agree with the others, you should be able to feel movement by now.

Ive loved seeing the updated pics, even if she isnt pregnant ( which is probably a good thing being a 2yo) she definitely looks healthier, happier now that she is in your care.

Best of Luck with her, Im sure your going to have lots of fun with her in the future
default_smile.png

Thanks Ryan, shes rounding nicely on her shoulder and quarters now and her neck is feeling slightly better but the belly looks to be getting hug, think about giving pro-bioctics to aid digestive system something like pink powder im thinking but not sure shes not gassy and her bellies not firm like with a build up but then my experience in this area has only been with two geldings and there bellies were no were near this size

DSC_1566-1280x720.JPG

DSC_1563-1280x720.JPG

DSC_1528-1024x1820.JPG

DSC_1527-1024x1820.JPG

DSC_1516-1280x720.JPG

DSC_1544-1024x1820.JPG

Does she stay in this paddock all the time or does she get moved around? If she's not pregnant it's getting close to time to cut her back some, she looking a little too hefty in these last photos. Belly just looks to me to be overly large. Even thin though she had this belly. She's a beautiful girl, I love her color.

She is a lovely col, she was still shedding when i got her so its been a nice surprise what was under all the fizzy white hair. No shes not in there all day, she goes in there at 5am its just over a acre and really short, she grazes on waist high grass in hand for 2 hours now but i built it up to 4 hours now cut it down to 2 but gradually and shes stabled over night from 9pm till 5am bedded down on hay which is on top of rape straw (bedwell equinola) the stable is 10ftx12ft and the hay i put in would fill a large net but she only eats around half but shes started eating less over the last week. I tried her with alfa a oil but not interested, wont even eat bran mash, mints or carrots but will eat apples i thought maybe teeth but they are fine.

They do come around fast when well fed and taken care of, obviously you have done a great job in that respect. It's good to hear she doesn't have the pasture 24/7, she just needs balanced maintenance now not really any more weight.

Im hoping that if she's not preg that given time to adjust the belly will go down, she will come off pasture completely at the end of October with turn at in a bare paddock because it gets really boggy during winter so may be posting for advice if she turns back but for now ill keep you all upto date if anything changes, thanks for all the advice everyone xx

Yes please do keep us updated and take photos sometimes looking at them will show you a change you may not notice looking at her everyday. Since there is a chance she could be watch her closely.

Last night when i brought her in i notice swelling along the under side of her belly, only way i can explain or describe is to say it was like a conrnish pasty crust from front to back leading to a plam size swelling in front of her udder now this morning its gone and theres one large sausage in front of the udder it did not leave pitting and is firm, not sure if u can see on the pictures

DSC_1604-1600x900.JPG

DSC_1621-1200x2133.JPG

DSC_1613-1280x720.JPG

DSC_1625-1024x1820.JPG

That would be edema. It could also be fat deposits, when one gets overweight you'll see this. Grazing on clover can also cause this.

And finally this is also something you'll see in pregnant mares when the mammary glands are changing.

I will keep my eye on it, today its just a large swelling in front of her udder and has doubled in size, my other mare is over weight and gets fat pads in summer they are two separate flabby pads this is her below, we do have clover on the lands as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back