In foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those tests are pretty accurate. With your mares estrone sulfate level at 4.8ng/ml she would have to be Very close to foaling for your vet to be wrong, it's known those levels will drop just prior to foaling so he may be. Looking at the photos I wouldn't rely on the vets prognosis just yet. Yes it is correct that level would be a negative, but the Vet was hands on with your mare so giving you that result after examining her doesn't make sense looking at these photos. I've had many mares look just like this right before foaling but I also have to add I've had open broodmares look the same.

May I ask were you given breeding dates? Also you referred to her as a filly is this her first foal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Debby,

Yes she is still a filly she is only 2! I bought her from online auction and had a transporter bring her i was lead to believe she was 3 and due to foal in 6-8 weeks ive had her 5 weeks so would have 1-3 weeks left. When the vet came to see her she agreed she was infoal and gave me lots of advice and stated the test maybe inconclusive late term but when she called with the results she said the lab doesn't consider anything below 6 positive

These are pictures from this afternoon, she has beads on one teat but couldn't get a clear pic and one is whilst laid down and also a clear blob of mucus on her privates

DSC_1197-1024x1820.JPG

DSC_1207-1024x576.JPG

DSC_1204-1024x1820.JPG

Between your July 12 and todays picture of your fillies vulva, it looks like she has elongated and gotten a little looser. Its her private area way of preparing for a watermelon coming out of a hole the size of a orange.

For her milk bar pic, can you possible take the picture from directly below. The picture below is for reference. Depending on what your using, it may take several takes. My phone requiries more than one take.

CAM02129.jpg

Ok ill go see if i can take some from below, is the goo a concern weather infaol or not

Without seeing it, I'd say it is possible the mucous plug. You see it with some horse, some you don't. That mucous is nothing to be concerned about.

Also, not sure what number the breeder is going off. Most miniatures they say the average gestation is 330 days, but all of our first time mares have not foaled before 342 days. Two went 355 and 354 respectively. There later foals have been born between 320-330 days.

The breeder may have said one thing, but since she is a maiden; you might want to add up to a month later.

Argh right well it was a dealer she came from and they just said previous owner told them july - aug for foaling and she had been running with a mini leopard spot and they thought she was 3 due to not checking the foaling date on passport thats all the info i got, so not sure they had a exact date,

Ive just been out to get more picks and the blob of goo was gone but she has some pinky slime at the end of her urine shes eatiing and drinking no.sign of distress but definitely had little beads on one teat

Since she's not really bagged up, the beads are probably calcium deposits. They help keep foreign bacterial from getting in.

The mucous can pass anywhere from right before foaling, up to a month before. It can be blood tinged, therefore sometimes called "bloody show".

Oh good glad to hear that was starting to stress a bit there haha!! need to re-read the pinned posts before any action starts

Not much change i dont think, these pics are from 18th and 19th little bit of swelling in front of teats but goes down but morning so opposite to what peaple say happens??

DSC_1303-1024x1820.JPG

DSC_1371-1024x1820.JPG

DSC_1378-1024x1820.JPG

DSC_1382-1024x1820.JPG

DSC_1322-1280x720.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you mona she doesn't and i have my dowts, she was advertised as a ride and drive rising 4 in foal and due August!! Shes was 2 in may so dowt shes ride and drive so wouldn't be surprised if shes not due a foal, so if shes not theres something going on in there, wish i knew for sure :-?

Back