Pregnant Maiden Mare Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like she has milk and all went by the book! I´m a worry wart and can think of a million what ifs and things that some would say should have been done but I'm also a big believer in giving the mare her space and not interfering any more than needed. Your little mare had an ideal area to do her job naturally. You did all you could do, and luckily so far all is well. Just watch them both closely, if you can disinfect the umbilical and worm the mare that'd be great. I hope and pray that they both are and will be fine.

If you see anything that concerns you (first call the Vet) don't hesitate to ask as foals can go down hill incredibly fast. We are happy to help you with our own experiences or by providing you with articles so keep us updated, we're here to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The raising of the leg is a GOOD thing. Your mare is being a good mom. Watch the foal to make sure she's pooped. I'm sure she has or

she'd be acting constipated by now. And foals do nurse for short periods naturally......They SNACK....They don't stay and eat a whole meal

all at once. LOL.

I appreciate all the help and advice, she is doing great. Mom has stopped squealing and baby is nursing fine. I'm just not used to having a baby this small. this is the first miniature foal I have had born here other then one other time many years ago. So I'll take any advice and information that comes my way. Thought I would add another picture or two. I'm sure I'll have plenty of those.

image.jpg

image.jpg

We LOVE photos! These are so precious, your foal and mare both are beautiful. I just love this one of the little one lying in the grass. I bet you do have a lot of photos! lol and it's hard to take your eyes off of them yes? You have a beautiful place for them. Have you named her yet?

My kids always seem to beat me to a name. They have been calling her stormy. I didn't even have a chance lol.

That's a lovely name! your children are probably so excited! heck I would be excited. I LOVED foaling season but as the years went on it was just too stressful for me, especially with the miniatures.

Congratulations on her arrival , Im so glad all went well for you and that mum is also doing great with her foal.

Enjoy
default_smile.png

Congrats! She's a little cutie!

We had a filly born on the 13th of May (a month ago now) and that maiden mare still squeals and will lift her leg or shift when her filly is nursing. Also, being the smallest mare, I've noticed that her filly nurses much shorter time frames and much more often the the colt (larger framed/bodied out of larger in height & frame parents) born the same day and the filly born a week earlier.

Latest posts

Back