Pregnant Maiden Mare Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were from a few days ago. Not the best pictures to help see changes but can give an idea. She is just teasing me at this point lol. I haven't noticed any major changes, so I'm thinking maybe I still have a little ways to go.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

/monthly_05_2016/post-46045-0-31645800-1462894964_thumb.jpg /monthly_05_2016/post-46045-0-89472800-1462894977_thumb.jpg /monthly_05_2016/post-46045-0-49825700-1462895042_thumb.jpg​
OK here are the ones posted on May 10th for easier comparison. On the photos in your post above (added today) she does appear to have a little more dip in her belly, shes carrying a little lower, and filled out more in the flanks. Her croup is a little pointier too.. another good sign, but that could just be the way she is standing.

Have you felt any more movement from the foal? Usually by 5 to 6 months you'll feel some fluttering, when you definitely feel kicks your mare will be 7 to 8 months along so if you can remember when that was it will give you some idea of her due date.

Her belly has not significantly dropped yet, but it has dropped, and she does appear to be making a change so watch her closely. Unless there are any other obvious signs that make you think otherwise it may be awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been easily able to see big kicks for about 3 weeks. I don't have to try hard to see them and you can feel the legs and feet (or I'm assuming legs) when it moves. I really wish I could post videos here.

Ok just trying this to see if it works, here is a short video of the foal moving. This was around 3 weeks ago, you can see a couple good kicks in this one.

too precious. thank you for sharing!! Since May 14th was the first time you were positive you saw any movement or kicking I guess we can safely say she may be close to 9 months along? Do you know when she was taken from the stallion?

PS I fixed the video so it would show here on the page

I can't remember the exact date we took her away from the stud. But unfortunately I don't think it would be a good indicator of how far along she is because we left them together for awhile (they get along well).

Shes looking good and I agree I think you have a little time yet. Shes only teasing you at this stage and a pregnant mare will "Drive you crazy" before she decides its time.

Thanks for the update , looking forward to seeing what shes preparing for you
default_smile.png

This morning went out to find this little filly. I missed the delivery so I'm thankful that all went well.

icon_warning.png
Edited by ashleyjade, Today, 11:52 AM.

New-foal1.jpg

New-foal2.jpg

Woo Hoo! Glad it went well for you, and you have a cute little filly to show for it.

I missed all three of mine, but the last one was red bag and I was too late; but I have two wonderful healthy happy foals, so pretty good season.

I haven't seen her nurse yet which makes me a little nervous. Baby has tried a few times and mom has moved away. I have seen the baby urinate though. I just wondering if I should be concerned? She seems like she is an attentive mother otherwise. Is it just possible she doesn't want to nurse while I'm around?

They can take a bit to latch on and get it, but if you seen her pee, that is a good sign. Keep an eye on them without being intrusive, if you can.

Congratulations on your new little one!!! I can imagine your shock and joy this morning when you went out!!! So very, very grateful that all went well. She is absolutely gorgeous and I am so happy for you.
default_firstprize.gif

To answer your question it could be your mare was just wary of you, But yes it is something you should be concerned about. Your filly must drink and absorb colostrum within her first 12-24 hours.

The immunoglobulins can only be absorbed by the foal's gastrointestinal tract during the first 24 hours (the peak time for when the intestine can absorb the most is within the first eight hours of the foal's life). After that time her intestinal tract cannot absorb the larger immunoglobulin molecules. After about eight hours of the newborn's life, the absorptive capability declines steadily to zero, around 24 hours of life.

Since you said she is attentive to the foal...the photos say she Loves her! I will hope and pray that the little one has already nursed. Will the mare allow you near her? Don't worry too much if she won't, Mother Nature works very well at providing all they need.

I agree since you've seen her pee that is good. Hopefully she has (or will) pass her meconium as well...this is also very important.

Please let us know how she does, if she's nursing etc. Please ask any questions you can think of, hopefully we all can help. Enjoy your new baby!!

I have seen her nurse now. Although I wish I had seen her nurse for longer periods. I think the mom is still a little unsure of how to act with a baby. She sort of Hollars when the baby nurses, I hope this passes quickly it worries me. I know she needs the colostrum and that's what worries me the most. However the baby is doing well and doesn't appear to be in any distress. I was also actually surprised when I went out this morning and found mom and baby, she walked right up to me and so did the baby! She has no problem with me being near the baby. But she is wary of other people. I am trying to keep my space as much as possible right now though.

Oh that is so wonderful!! I'm glad to hear she is nursing. Does your mare act uncomfortable the whole time she is nursing, or is she just vocalizing a little? Since this is her first foal and she is no doubt sore she may make noises like that. I wouldn't worry about it unless she is obviously hurting, because if she is she will keep the foal from nursing because of it. Washing, handling, and gently squeezing the teats and udder before birth helps with this most especially with maiden mares. Will the mare let you touch her udders? If you can express some milk to make sure it's there that would help ease your mind.

If you watch real close you'll see milk on the foals chin when it stops nursing, that's a good sign! Please do everything you can to make sure the mare has milk.

I forgot to ask if you found the placenta?

I just went out and checked again on the foal, she was up following mama around. When she does nurse you can hear what sounds like she is getting milk. Not really sure how to describe that. As for mom I'm not sure she is going to let me touch her udders. She comes up to me but has always been wary of me touching around that area. I wish I had tried more before she had the baby. When the baby nurses she holds her back leg up and justs acts like she doesn't want her sucking but I have seen the baby suck multiple times. But for short periods. When I go to check again I will see if she will let me express milk. I also have not been able to find where she had the baby. She had access to probably 2 acres. I wasnt expecting her to have the baby quite yet. So I have not seen any signs of the afterbirth.

We have a mare that when her babies are first born, she will lift her leg while baby is nursing. It gives the baby better access to the milk bar. Once the baby has mastered how to nurse, than she quits lifting her leg.

As for the mare sqealing when baby nurses, its something new since she is a maiden. Also the act of baby nursing, causing contractions to first expell the placenta; second to shrink the uterus done to its normal size. She will eventually stop squealing.

Back