Mare Question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her udder has gotten larger and her nipples have separated even more now. Does this mean we're close? (Sorry the picture is sideways! )20160315_225603.jpg

I think still a bit more, as her nipples will point down, and I think you will see some of the wrinkles disappear as the udder fills more. Keep watching and showing us how she's doing. All looks good!!

Took some more pictures today, so thought I would post them here and get any opinions on them! I didn't have anyone to hold her so unfortunately the udder picture is a bit blury, but hopefully you can still make it out okay! I will try to get a behind udder shot and a vulva shot at night check if I have help. Last night her vulva was very elongated, probably about 5-6 inches long.

Side profile shot:

20160317_171109_resized.jpg

Back end shot:

20160317_171128_resized.jpg

Looking from above:

20160317_171151_resized.jpg

Udder from behind:

20160317_171219_resized.jpg

Definitely some POSITIVE udder changes! Less wrinkling and much fuller. Also, baby is much better lined up, still a little out to the left -- I just love the lopsidedness of a pregnant belly!! And I love the lacing on her back!

She is moving ahead beautifully, and I can't wait to see her elongation picture. We'll be looking for elongation, puffiness, the relaxed look of it -- some mares even have the vulva look slightly open. You could start checking for color just inside the lips. The "inside" color is usually a salmon-type color, and as she nears delivery, you will see the inside start to look much more red.

Is she giving you any personality changes? She's moving ahead very nicely, and it's beginning to look like you're going to have to start checking her very regularly soon. All looking great!

She seems to be more grumpy than usual. In general she's very affectionate. However at night check last night she was laying down and normally when we walk in the barn she stands up immediately. But last night she just stayed down and showed no interest in getting up or having her bedtime snack. She's been rolling a lot and really looking at her sides so I think she's feeling the changes and is just uncomfortable in general. Poor girl, I'm sure she's ready for it to come out! (And we're ready to see what she gives us!!)

Is she laying out flat, or just laying more upright? They definitely get feeling more uncomfortable, which is perfectly normal. Keep close tabs on her moods, and I'm sure she'll let you know "something is up" -- many of them do as delivery is near.

Rolling a lot is just what she needs to do to get that baby in proper position. So that's good news. I don't think you have a long time to wait now, she's really picking up and moving ahead nicely.

She alternates between flat out and upright throughout the night. We joke that she sleeps more than us, yet she's constantly yawning!

Yawning is a sign I always looked for with my girls. It seemed like they were getting in all the oxygen they could in preparation. Not "scientific" at all, but mine always seemed to do a lot of yawning in the final days. You may want to start watching her more carefully and checking on her more often. With these maidens, they can be so tricky, she may only show a few signs and then BOOM.....baby!

So, although she doesn't "appear" quite ready, she actually may surprise all of us. I'd start watching her even more, and read the pinned threads at the top of the forum to prepare in case your help is needed. With these maidens, everything is "tight" so you must be alert and ready to assist if the need arises. Let her proceed, but if you see a problem, act calmly and quickly to assist.

Praying for an uneventful delivery of a healthy little one for you....whenever she decides the time is right!
default_pray.gif
:pray

Last edited:
Some more pictures from tonight. It's really nice having them all together on here because it really documents the changes!

Here is her vulva (I was a little disappointed that it wasn't nearly as elongated as last night, and then mad at myself for not taking a picture last night!)

20160317_224750_resized.jpg

Took a picture of the inside just so you could see the colour (she was not a fan of this and tried her hardest to keep it closed!). It seems to be a deeper pink than normal?

20160317_224759_resized.jpg

Udder from behind again.

20160317_224904_resized.jpg

And an under shot of the udder!

20160317_224921_resized.jpg

Still a bit to go, I think. But, with these maidens you can never be quite sure! The pictures are a great documentation, and will give you a record of her foaling pregnancy changes for the future.

Thanks for the pictures, we'll just be watching and praying for a safe foaling.

Thought I would give another Smudge update. There doesn't seem to be much change from the last pictures, however her behaviour is changing. She is more restless and she isn't as interested in her food. Still lots of rolling and looking at her side.

20160320_223038_resized.jpg

20160320_223053_resized.jpg

20160320_223119_resized.jpg

20160320_223142_resized.jpg

20160320_223255_resized.jpg

Another update! (Hope you aren't getting too sick of me
default_laugh.png
) I'm noticing some reddening in her vulva as well as a LOT of rolling. Her bag is starting to not have as many wrinkles and her muscles around her tail and her butt and getting squishy.

Here are some pictures!

20160322_180153_resized.jpg

20160322_180303_resized.jpg

20160322_180210_resized.jpg

20160322_171308_resized.jpg

She's looking very good! And we never get "sick" of our friends here, and all the pictures!!

Udder looking improved, elongation moving forward, all looks just fine!

Thanks for you responses, they'be been helpful! Any idea on how much longer? I know it's tough to judge, but just wondering. We have a huge storm coming tonight and with the full moon, I'm thinking it sounds like a recipe for a baby! LOL I'm just not sure if she's that close that tonight is even a possibility. Then again, maybe we'll have an Easter baby!

She now has "cow patty" poops. How long do they usually get these before delivering?

It does sound like she is getting very close, wishing you all the best for the safest of arrivals.

As if we would ever get sick of the updates
default_smile.png
The more the merrier
default_thumbup.gif

Have you noticed any change in her elongation? The cow patties are a great sign she's cleaning out her system for the special delivery. PLEASE keep us posted on how things are progressing! We're very excited for you. Of course, you KNOW these mares can be very tricky, and make us think it will happen right away......and then they make us wait days! But, we're very hopeful she hasn't read the book on making owner (and "Aunties") crazy!!

Latest posts

Back