Mare Question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia & Smudge

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I'm new to this forum as a member, but have been watching the posts and using the pinned posts for a while now. We recently bought our first mini in February. She is in foal and was pasture bred sometime between March 26 and May 30 2015. She is a maiden mare. We are expecting the foal any day now! She has been keeping us on our toes for sure. She started bagging up 4 weeks ago and had a small amount of wax two week after that, but then no baby. A week ago her bag was HUGE and her teats were pointing down but still nothing! This is our first mini foal (we've bred appaloosas before) so we just aren't sure what to think! She has been showing a lot of the signs, tail rubbing, restless at night, etc. So I'm just wondering how much longer do you think she will go? Do minis normally act this strange for this long of a period before foaling?

Any help is greatly appreciated! (Hopefully the pictures work!)

This was her bag a week ago when we thought she was close to foaling.

20160309_215323.jpg

This is her bag now.

20160312_223925_resized.jpg

Here is a side shot of her belly.

20160312_223730_resized.jpg

Here is a behind shot of her belly.

20160312_223759_resized.jpg

And a behind shot showing her bag.

20160312_223904_resized.jpg

20160312_223825_resized.jpg

I think you've got a little time yet. Since she's getting an udder, it could fill more, and she still looks lopsided. Are you seeing/feeling foal movement? Babies settle down as they run out of space, so don't be alarmed if baby does seem really active.

These pictures will give us a "starting point". We're glad you've joined us, and we're here to answer any questions you may have.

In about 3 days, take another set of pictures, so we can see what changes are occurring. Don't be anxious, just watch for rolling (moving baby into position and she'll be come more "slab-sided" -- almost looking not pregnant, she could do some butt pushing. Can you get a picture of her vulva so we can see how elongated she's getting, and add that one in, please.

Pretty girl!! And maidens are very tricky.

Also, do you know if you have fescue grass/hay? Sometimes this can cause some irregularities in their bagging up. Not to worry, since she's new to us, we just want to cover all the bases and ask all the questions!

A few weeks ago the baby was moving around a lot and I could feel/see it, but there hasn't been any movement in the past week and a half. She rolls quite a but every night, sometimes its pretty violent as she throws her head and goes from side to side!

We recently got new hay that's a Timothy grass mix. But I didn't see any fescue in it.

I will post a picture of her vulva and our hay later tonight!

Thanks so much!

Here are some more pictures I took of her today. I notice her bag seems to be filling out a little more than before and she is rubbing her bum and her sides along any walls/rough surfaces that she can find.

Here is her from the back end (sorry that it's blurry!)

20160313_174854_resized.jpg

Here is her vulva.

20160313_165745_resized.jpg

Here is her bag this evening.

20160313_165847_resized.jpg

Here is her from looking straight down.

20160313_174826_resized.jpg

And finally, here are a couple pictures of our hay.

20160313_170315_resized.jpg

20160313_170331_resized.jpg

She's by Countrylanes Buckn Bantam Devonaire and out of Pearl Creeks Tia. I'm interested in learning more about her breeding! I don't know much about the miniature horse bloodlines.

Ah i see. Not lines im familiar with. But i can't seem to get much detail. Have you go the grand sires/dams names?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are her papers (not sure if you'll be able to read the bloodlines):

FB_IMG_1454202436881_resized.jpg

And just for fun. this is the "baby daddy's" papers!

FB_IMG_1454202387975_resized.jpg

Bonny, I have heard of milk testing and it was very accurate for my appy mare. But so far I have been unable to get anything but a few drops of milk from my mini mare, she's not a fan of us touching her bag so won't let the milk down.

They both have nice lines, and I'm hoping we'll see some spots! I'll run the full pedigrees for you and send them to you if you'll send me your email address. I think I have some pics of some of the background horses, too, that I'll send. You can PM me if you don't want to post your email, or just send me an email at: [email protected] and I'll send the info back to you.

She's moving ahead nicely, everything looking very good!

This might be easier to read. Both horses are only registered in AMHR, and the pedigrees are attached:

AMHR.pdf

Attachments

• AMHR.pdf
    132.2 KB · Views: 88
IMO, she still has some time to go. Can't say how much, because each mare is different ;) But her udder doesn't look ready to me yet.

Exciting and nerve wracking, no? MARE is a four letter word, you know ;)

Good luck!

AHHHH we are related then. Knew I recognized that muzzle!

This is Birchwood uk buckaroo banner. Not his best photo but it shows that distinctive muzzle.

1FE3097D-8A3C-4DA0-9416-9879A4FDE89A_zpsfkjw9s3u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
New pictures taken today after her pampering time! She looks very round today so not slab sided at all, her bag seems bigger though. I think she's enjoying keeping us guessing!

Side shot:

20160315_180854_resized.jpg

Looking from behind:

20160315_180909_resized.jpg

Looking from up top:

20160315_180917_resized.jpg

Udder from behind:

20160315_181025_resized.jpg

Under from underneath:

20160315_181045_resized.jpg

Vulva:

20160315_181106_resized.jpg

She is looking great , these maiden mares sure like to keep everyone on their toes
default_smile.png

I think you have a little time yet, but only she will decide when the time is right.

Keep a look out for anything you think she is doing that is "out of the ordinary " for her. Like she may be distancing herself from other horses, standing in a weird spot in the pasture that she may not usually frequent ect.

best of luck for a safe arrival
default_smile.png

Since she is developing her udder, I think you will see more udder, and her nipples fill. Her udder will lose some of its creases as it fills more. I think you've got some time, but she's certainly moving ahead!

I'd be watching her for personality changes....some get really "dependent" and want you around more, some move "away" and become more stand-offish, but the clingy ones are certainly more fun!

She is elongating nicely, and has just a bit more to go.

All is looking good!!

Latest posts

Back