How long can stage 1 labor last?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is grunting and biting her sides a lot and she keep squatting but she is not peeing is this happening tonight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just keep watch. Some mares do that when they get "niggles" from precontractions. She might just be getting ready. If she goes down don't leave until she's either birthed or eating calmly again! Haha.

She is grunting and biting her sides a lot and she keep squatting but she is not peeing is this happening tonight?
It could, but just beware that it is not uncommon for a day time foaling. One of my mares gave birth at noon once and twice mid morning. Oh, those sleepless nights and days. I used to have my alarm set for every 30 minutes when they were somewhat close and then when they were very close and I would be struggling to stay awake in the art room attached to the barn I would have my cell phone alarm set to go off every 9 minutes.

She's looking great. Elongation - udder -- and as said, I think since she's giving us these signs, her nipples will fill more and point down. She's not far now!!

Keep a constant watch on her. They CAN foal during the day, if they're being nice to us. But most of mine were night time foalers, so I slept in the barn, sometimes in the stall -- depending on how sneaky I knew the mare was, and for my littlest mares 27-29, I slept with them thinking they would need the most help because of their size. WRONG! Most of my littlest ones pushed out babies on their own, while some of my largers girls -- up to 34" -- were the ones who needed help.

Praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of a health little one safely to the ground!!
default_pray.gif
:pray

Last edited:
Here's what our mare's nipples looked like the day before she foaled... My post stated that she would foal after she got more filling, and her sides had gotten thinner. She did foal mid-morning the next day - after I went back up to the house when she wasn't displaying any signs she was close...

15dec25kla120730.jpg

Sounds like your mare is moving the little one around. How is she actually looking...

Thanks for the picture I wasn't sure what I was looking for she is bagging up and they are hard and warm but not that big yet...

I can't figure out why her right nipple is tucked up in between her boobs

Every thing is looking the same to me but her butt is getting squishy like jello and she is violently rubbing her butt on every thing including me lol it looks painful she lifts her tail and pushes hard and rubs side to side

I wish she could just talk and tell me hey I'm gonna have this little foal sat morning at 245 so I'll see ya then... Lol I can dream

Thanks for the picture I wasn't sure what I was looking for she is bagging up and they are hard and warm but not that big yet...

I can't figure out why her right nipple is tucked up in between her boobs

Not all can have perfect nipples and double D's.
default_laugh.png

Squishy butt indicates she is getting ever so closer. Has her last poops started looking more like cow patty than her usual?

There are looser then normal I was just about to ask how loose it actually gets... Its doesn't fall apart but its mushes. Its hard to explain..

I was actually about to ask about boob sizes lol because hers are rock hard and I'm not sure they can get any Fuller

Ok, sounds like you need to have everything ready for a foaling. We are rooting for you. You can do this. Cannot say how loose any mare's poops will get but with everything you are saying in addition to the pictures I am going to say get ready. Maybe there will be some night owls up on here tonight to check on you.

Fingers crossed I'm so glad I got on here because I was no where near prepared for anything but I feel confident now in assisting her if needed.... I so hope tonight is the night

Everything sounds like she is progressing just perfectly. The butt pushing is moving baby around into better position, and her elongation is starting to look a bit "puffy" which is just perfect. She is doing well, and we're here for you.

Just keep a VERY close eye on her, as these last few changes can happen rapidly. Hope you're sleeping in the barn with her or have her on camera so you can watch closely. All sounds well, and YOU CAN DO THIS for sure!!

Can't wait!

I got the camera on I'm getting my son to sleep he's excited too then I'm going out...

Finger crossed that the next picture are of a healthy beautiful foal.

Finger crossed that the next picture are of a healthy beautiful foal.

It was a cold and intense night she did not have the baby but she was up and down all night rolling around scratching her but and at about 3am her belly looked like two beach balls hanging on either side then it flattened back out and I started seeing kicks and flutters on the bottom of her stomach up by her chest(is it still called a chest when her boobs are at the back) anyways I'm pretty sure the baby is now in position I'll post some pics once I upload them

Latest posts

Back