How long can stage 1 labor last?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping tonight is the night she refused to leave her stall when I tried to take her out for our evening walk and she has been pawing at the hay and has made a little nest with they she didn't eat her dinner and she has been peeing every 30 mins or so fingers crossed its tonight and everything goes smooth... I'm so excited I'll post pics if he comes tonight

You might also print out the topic pinned at the top, and bring with you to the stall. Remember, you must be calm when and if you have to help, and work with NO panic -- just smooth actions. You can "fall apart and go crazy" after baby is safely on the ground.

Sometimes the sacs of these little mommas can be a bit "tough", and they are horses not dogs, so many don't go through the quick licking process dogs do when they birth a pup. Mares, many times are so uncomfortable after the birth, the almost ignore the baby for a period of time. In that case, it's up to us to break the sack and get baby breathing. Momma will come around when she feels better. Others just do fine, push baby out, stand up and either go back to eating or will nuzzle baby. There's no way to know how attentive they will be, and we don't have any history here, so you must be attentive.

If you start to see "feet" and are worried, or if something seems wrong, CALL the vet, then go into action. It is much better to have a vet arrive to greet your new little one on the ground, than to delay if you're unsure about something. And believe me, some of the dystocias we all need some help with if we can get it, so be kind to yourself.

Unfortunately, finding a baby dead in the sac is not a rare occurrence. That's why we always say to stay with little momma -- these last few days/weeks are most important for you to be in attendance. We have all sat with a little momma, then left for a few minutes to go get a cup of coffee and come back to a foal -- sometimes healthy on the ground and sometimes in desperate need of our help.

Just breathe and relax. You can do this. Put your vet on "speed dial" so you're not looking for a phone number, print the instructions, and we'll all be praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of a healthy little one for you!

Keep us posted!
default_pray.gif
:pray

Thanks too every one on here and all the forums that I've been ready threw I've calmed down alot... I had been ready articles online and watching videos but I think my mind was only picking out the bad situations. Reading post about people going threw the same thing and knowing the out comes of what happen really helped. Thank the lord I found this site and joined.

And we are so happy you are here, and we can help you. Even after this birth, we're here to help with anything you have questions about, so we hope you stay around a long while!

Watch for changes in her udders. Has the bag got to the point of being appearing filled and warm and firm? Are you able to squeeze out any milk? If so, watch for the milk to feel sticky.

They are fuller then they were and if I squeeze them milk with come out and it is sticky

They are warm but they have been for a week or so now

Sounds like she is really progressing. Keep a close watch on her. Maybe tomorrow you could post pictures to show how her bag is filling up.

Her elongation is looking better, so progress. Watch for elongation, some puffiness in the vulva, some butt pushing on posts or stall sides as she moves baby around. We're looking for her to be positioning baby, so don't be concerned if you see her rolling. She will start to look more "slab-sided" as baby moves into position -- their backbones will line up and momma may start looking not pregnant....but she is.

Can you get a full side picture of her, so we can see how baby is riding in there, please. We're looking for baby to be a bit "forward of center" which helps us know baby is getting into position.

Best of Luck with the safest of arrivals
default_smile.png

As Chanda mentioned, Try to relax as much as you can. And as Auntie Diane mentioned to you, the pinned threads at the top of this forum are worth their weight in gold.

Keep us posted on her progress
default_smile.png

She is looking good. Broodmares love to keep us waiting and the minute you look away, they'll spit that kid out and try to hide it from you. I am excited for you, and cannot wait to see what you get.

She could fool us, but I don't think baby is in position yet. I would expect to see baby slightly "forward of center" as you look at her, and baby, although "dropped" has still not moved forward. Once baby moves, momma will look more "v'd" in her appearance, and should become quite "slab-sided" as their backbones line up.

But, as I said, some quick rolling and/or butt pushing can accomplish this quickly, so watch her carefully as she gets this baby lined up.

Very exciting!!

Still no baby but I'm not as nervous as I was this website is Awesome as well as the members. I know what I'm looking for now I was over thinking every little move she made but she's just getting ready and its all normal. I want to thank everyone who left comments I may keep my sanity now lol. I'll keep every body updated on any changes

Latest posts

Back