How long can stage 1 labor last?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker30

Reaction score
My lil baby has about 2 weeks till her due date.about 8 days ago her belly dropped and she's been bagging up. For the past 2 days and most of the night she just stands in the same spot and sweating rubbing her head on her front legs, biting her sides backs up in circles. Her bowel movements are lose. I can tell she's uncomfortable and the baby is very active. This morning I noticed some drips of blood anddry blood around her vulva not a lot. The vet says its normal and she is going to foal soon. I've been doing a lot of research because I'm going crazy here waiting but I need some real life advice. How long can stage 1 labor last?

Sounds like she is moving ahead perfectly. The closer she is to foaling the less she will be moving around. She will be uncomfortable and sometimes mares will shift weight from one foot to the other. Regarding the blood , I agree with Rocklone, it sounds like she has lost her mucous plug and is now moving into the final stages.

Before a mare foals her stools become loose , she will bite at her sides, rub her behind on everything and anything she possibly can.

There are some really great pinned threads at the top of the marestare section of this forum that may be of help to you.

Is this her first foal ? Wishing you the safest of arrivals
default_smile.png

My lil baby has about 2 weeks till her due date.about 8 days ago her belly dropped and she's been bagging up. For the past 2 days and most of the night she just stands in the same spot and sweating rubbing her head on her front legs, biting her sides backs up in circles. Her bowel movements are lose. I can tell she's uncomfortable and the baby is very active. This morning I noticed some drips of blood anddry blood around her vulva not a lot. The vet says its normal and she is going to foal soon. I've been doing a lot of research because I'm going crazy here waiting but I need some real life advice. How long can stage 1 labor last?
Sounds like she's doing just fine. It's hard to watch them so uncomfortable, but as above, it sounds like her mucous plug has gone. Don't leave her unattended, as you will want to be there in case she needs assistance. Your vet is correct in that what is happening is perfectly normal, so just take a deep breath, and realize things are going well. And congratulations on you checking with your vet to be sure she is doing well. We are pleased that you are concerned enough to do that for her.

At the top of this forum is some important information -- the "real life advice" you're looking for.

Tell us something about your precious little momma. How tall is she? Is she a maiden mare or has she foaled before?

We're here to answer all your questions, and help in any way we can. I'm always available by phone should you need some immediate assistance in an urgent situation -- night or day: 863-990-3210 is my cell.

Do you have the ability to take some pictures you can share with us? If you don't know how to post them, we can help, or you can email them to me at: [email protected] and I can post them here for you. We'll answer any question you have -- no question is dumb -- we want you knowledgeable and ready to help the little momma.

Can't wait to learn more about you and your mare.

~~Diane

Last edited:
How many days gestation are you calling her due date? Miniature horses can foal at 300 days and have a healthy foal, so we usually advise watching them fairly close from 300 days on, a little earlier is even better.

I have two that foaled at 307 days, and a couple in the low 320's days.

Thank you so much for reassuring me I'm so nervous just hearing that this is all normal makes me feel a lil better. I rescued her about 8 months ago and learned she was pregnant at her first vet visit so I'm not sure her due the vet said mid feb and I'm not sure if she has foaled before or not. Her shoulder height is 34inches I can post some pictures in a few I'll grab my computer because my phone wont upload. She also didn't eat her food tonight just pushed it around a little then back to her spot.

They are pretty full of foal late gestation, so get pickier, but can also be a sign they are close. Keep an eye on her.

She looks so dirty but its been raining all day and we took a stroll and she rolled in the biggest mud spot she could find

You are smart when you put a camera on her. She may not look completely ready 'by the book', however she did not read the book as many say. A mare can foal without much of a bag or any bag, or suddenly put all action into play in a few hours. A sneaky mare can surprise you. I have had an experienced mare never pace or sweat and just lay down and start pushing (but she did have a full bag) and a mare that foaled with no bag, it came in afterwards.

I also had one mare go through all of the expected signs in the evenings, including all the pacing, getting up and down a lot, looking at her side, etc., and then quit completely, doing this little dance for a few days. She may have been repositioning the foal, but she drove me to distraction, but did safely foal eventually..

What a pretty mare you have there, wishing you luck with her.

so last night she was up and downall night long she was grunting and neighing and she kept throwing her head back like she was in pain she was having contractions and then at 5 o'clock this morning she just got up and walked out of her stall like nothing that happenedis this normal?but every time she laid on her side and the contractions got stronger she got up could this be a problem

so last night she was up and downall night long she was grunting and neighing and she kept throwing her head back like she was in pain she was having contractions and then at 5 o'clock this morning she just got up and walked out of her stall like nothing that happenedis this normal?but every time she laid on her side and the contractions got stronger she got up could this be a problem

Walker, I do not know if you have a problem or not, but taking her for a walk might help her even tho it is night ( I know!). I did have a mare normally very calm and easy, that was frantic to get out of her stall one night close to her due date, so I let her out in her paddock and she ran around like mad for a few minutes (alarmed me) then wanted back in where she stood quietly. I suspected she was repositioning the foal or else it was lying on a nerve, could only guess, I called my vet to let him know I might have a foaling problem and give him a heads up that I might be calling for help later. Did not need to call him out, 2 hours later she foaled naturally a healthy colt.

Are you witnessing definite contractions or seeing foal movement?

For the past week the foal has been having dance parties but last night i only seen the baby move a couple of times she stood in the same circled the same area all night then she would lay down she would start having little contractions and breathing heavily then it looked like her whole body was trying to be pushed out her rump she threw her head back lifted her tail kicked her feet neighed real load which I've never heard her do the then she would jump up eat some hay and start all over again.she did it 4 time from 11pm till 5am. Could the baby not be in the right position will it correct itself or what should I do

The mare will be correcting the position by doing as you describe, lying down..rolling..rubbing on things.. and the foal should naturally go to the birth canal. It does not always come out that way, but its supposed to. Make sure to read the pinned posts so you can be prepared for what would happen if the foal did not present normally.

She doesn't look quite ready from the pictures, as was said above. But you carefully watching her is critical at this point. What she is doing is repositioning the foal, I would guess, and if baby is laying on a nerve, it can be painful. We have watched oen of the mares on here, lay down and push, and we all thought she would foal that evening. After 3-4 hours of watching, she stood up and started munching her hay. She didn't foal for a week, but it was a healthy baby she brought to the ground, safely. she was just moving the little one around.

Since we can't actually "see" her to watch, you could discuss what you are seeing with your vet. Just a phone call might be enough. If we could "see" her, perhaps we could be more help. But, I would advise you to read through the pinned threads at the top of the forum, so you are prepared and can be of help to her should she need you.

This is a stressful time for you and the little momma. But, she doesn't look quite ready -- baby still laying wide, no "slab-sided" look, and baby isn't quite forward of center. She hasn't elongated as much as I think she will, and there doesn't seem to be the puffiness of pressure on her vulva yet. I'm not worried about her udder, as she could foal with no udder at all, and once she's foaled she could have a full udder in record time. So don't worry about lack of milk -- it will come.

But keep your eyes on her. You will see her rolling, pushing her butt against the wall or a post, and those types of movements. Her manure should change to look like cow patties -- very soft and squishy -- as she cleans out her system in preparation. But again, give your vet a call in the morning if you need some extra security. I believe she is just getting this baby in position, but we want you to be prepared and calm and ready to help her. So, give a call in the morning, but be very factual with your vet -- just the facts, so your vet has a clear picture of what you're seeing. Don't "guess" just tell her exactly what you are seeing. S/he may want to stop out and check on her for you, but from the pictures I think you're just seeing some repositioning behavior as she "shoves" this little one around.

Keep us posted. We are here for you!!

I manage to track down the previous owners and they said she foal about 2 years ago and that they found the baby dead still in the sac. I ask them how she acted during her last pregnancy and during labor but they didnt even know she was pregnant. I'm just wondering what would cause her to have a foal and just leave it or what problems could I read up on that would have cause this tragedy to happen. I want to be prepared because my vet is over 2 hours away so if there is an emergency its up too me

Thanks for the comments they are very reassuring and enlighning I know what to look for now

Latest posts

Back