Maple Hollow Farms 2016 Foal Watch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple Hollow Farm

Reaction score
I am getting excited for foaling season so figured I would get my thread started
default_smile.png

We will once again be on marestare and once the cams are up I will post the link HERE

We bred a bit less for this year but still are going to have a busy and exciting foaling season!

Here is the list of mares bred at my place and their due dates based on 330 days gestation but keep in mind some of ours like to go early :p:

[SIZE=medium]Freckles 4/2 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Diamond 4/3 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Sassy 4/5 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Fae 4/11 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Wanna 4/14 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ebony 4/19 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Flicka 4/4 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Susan 4/19 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Blitz 4/30 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Extra 5/19 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]And these are the mares at my mom's place. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Eve 4/18 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Golden 4/22 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Strawberry 5/6 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dusty 5/9 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Gorgeous 5/22 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Destiny 5/22 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Moment 5/13 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I will add pics in the comments of the mares and their stallions! [/SIZE]

Here are pics of Little Kings Remmington (HOF), cremello splash stallion

His mares are Jandts Flicka Dear (bay), Fallen Ash Scouts Blackeyed Susan (black pinto), Ericas CrossCountry BigCity Blitz (bay pinto), Maple Hollows Extravaganza (black pinto), and Maple Hollows Blue Lite Special (sorrel)

dsc_0121 4x6.jpg

dsc_1207 cr 4x6.jpg

flickabodytrotweb.jpg

2010 aamhc show2edit.jpg

20150701_154829edit.jpg

Extra with Shawna_optedit.jpg

DSCF9842edit.JPG

Bissel Mounds Monte Carlo (HOF), black near leopard stallion

His mares are Freedom Hill Farms Fem Faytel (Buckskin pinto), Kaycee Freckles Playgirl (red sabino), Maple Hollows Ebony Chardonnay (black appy), and Jandts Wanna Pimples (bay appy)

IMG_9943-X2.jpg

Bissel Mounds Monte Carlo (HOF).JPG

DSCF2157edit.JPG

DSCF1607edit.JPG

20140819_132921.jpg

20140921_115355edit.jpg

And last but not least is Hartins Toy Commander (HOF), silver bay

And his mares Maple Hollows Magic Moment (bay pinto), Arions Maple Hollows Destiny (Silver buckskin pinto), Maple Hollows Vineyard Magic (Silver bay pinto), and LBFs Gorgeous (black pinto)...I think gorgeous was also covered by Echo at one point, but dont remember which one was last, mom has their breeding dates.

Commander_1.jpg

Jackson228-060-13MINI.jpg

DSCF6037.JPG

11246163_10205600577311741_986199194_o.jpg

DSCF1767edit.JPG

Welcome back Melinda
default_smile.png

Always excited to see your thread begin for the year, cant wait to see what your girls have prepared for you this year.

Wishing them all the safest of arrivals
default_smile.png

OOOOOOOOOOOOO EYE CANDY!!!

Can'[t wait for your foals to start arriving and I can't imagine foaling out that many mares of my own families'!

Thanks guys! I am going crazy already! For fun if you want to try to guess foaling dates and what color/gender you think foals will be :p

I will give you at least a little hint on Remmy's foals at least as he is color tested cremello, ee, AA, zz, oo, SW1/n

And Playboy is Homozygous Black
default_smile.png

I do have suspicions on genetics of a few others but since they have never been tested, dont know if I should list them. If you want to know my suspicions just say so and I will put them :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure give us your suspicions on the genetics of the others. Educated guesses can be pretty good, especially if you've bred them before and have foal colors to work with too.

Ok, so here are the ones that are not tested but guessing their genetics based on parentage, appearance, and foaling records.

Susan we assume to be homozygous black as she has never had a red foal and both parents are black based, also suspect splash due to a blue eye.
Extra we assume to be homozygous black and tobiano as her parentage is full of black based pintos and no red siblings on either side. Also could be splash due to dam (susan) and unusual face markings.
Echo we suspect is also homozygous black as he has never had a red foal either and been bred to red mares.
MT we think is homozygous agouti as he has never given a silver black, black, or smokey black foal

Monte is pretty well foal tested that he is Lp/lp, PATN1/patn1, Ee

Ebony is suspected of being LP/LP due to her extreme characteristics and based on the description of the Appaloosa Project. She also seems a bit night blind.
Gorgeous is also likely homozygous black as she has never had a red foal either

Everyone else is either pretty obvious or not enough info to guess zygosity :D

Freckles and Diamond are both at 300 days now! Once someone starts at least acting like they might foal someday then I will get my camera online!
default_whistling.gif
I have it all set up and ready, just need to clean it or yall will be yelling at me for a blurry image
default_hypocrite.gif

O, yes, yes, yes...let us know. Yours are one of the cameras I can actually "see" - have so many problems with viewing others (??).

I do have a question though for maybe both you and Diane. Why do you mix your color patterns (paint type/appaloosa type) rather than keeping them "pure"? Is it just to match up bloodlines and types for better (hopefully) foals than their parents? To see what you get from the two patterns? Or because you were asked specifically to cross those two parents?

When I was a kid, we had both tobiano paint horses (APHA) and appaloosa horses (APHC? think that's the acronym) - but large horse breeders didn't typically mix the patterns due to registry requirements. When I got into the Shetlands and looked at a lot of minis, I had a hard time understanding the concept of mixing the two color patterns and always thought "
default_new_shocked.gif
"BLICK" - how awful!" and was so totally turned off by breeders who had "mixes" on their farms. Now...not so much and recently I've seen a couple of mixed pattern horses that I really liked and ... "hmmmm...."
default_new_rofl.gif

I also have recently seen several "Want" ads looking for ponies or minis of "good" mixed patterns (OK, and what then constitutes "good"???) .

Just curious on philosophies or "just 'cuz I can".

I have a couple of solid colored mares that I would love to cross on a Mini leopard appaloosa. One mare is double registered AMHR/ASPC - so that foal would be registerable as an AMHR horse and would go permanent if didn't go over the height limit by 3. She is 36" (@ top of withers), heterozygous for black and silver, no LWO (tested due to her sire being well marked/balanced frame). "Ami" has a sweet personality, stands wonderfully straight and square and moves true but doesn't have quite the extension I'd like to see. Her head is surprisingly a little plain, but OK. The 2nd mare - not sure that foal would be registerable other than hardship @ 3 due to her being ASPC only and I'm pretty sure she has finally hit 40" @ the withers herself... Again she'd be cool - shes a cremello with single agouti (Kechi). Kechi would need to be bred to a stallion who will impart a less "hot/reactive" personality - and hopefully the foal would inherit ALL of that from the sire and not from her. Kechi does have a tendency to sometimes stand under herself, though she doesn't epitomize either goose rumped or sickle hocked to me, should find a stallion a little stronger in those areas... She is currently bred to a colt that I think was totally wrong (not my choice) and I do have not one but 2 stallions I think she'll cross well with (both homozygous tobianos) in the future IF I choose to breed her again.

But soooo toying with getting one or either to an appaloosa stallion...
default_biggrin.png

Paula, with the Miniature Horse Breed, as far as colors and patterns are concerned, "The Sky's The Limit". Since they are a size breed vs a "pure blood" breed, and and all color combinations are allowed, to many, the more wild the color/patterns, the more appealing it is.

O, yes, yes, yes...let us know. Yours are one of the cameras I can actually "see" - have so many problems with viewing others (??).

I do have a question though for maybe both you and Diane. Why do you mix your color patterns (paint type/appaloosa type) rather than keeping them "pure"? Is it just to match up bloodlines and types for better (hopefully) foals than their parents? To see what you get from the two patterns? Or because you were asked specifically to cross those two parents?

When I was a kid, we had both tobiano paint horses (APHA) and appaloosa horses (APHC? think that's the acronym) - but large horse breeders didn't typically mix the patterns due to registry requirements. When I got into the Shetlands and looked at a lot of minis, I had a hard time understanding the concept of mixing the two color patterns and always thought "
default_new_shocked.gif
"BLICK" - how awful!" and was so totally turned off by breeders who had "mixes" on their farms. Now...not so much and recently I've seen a couple of mixed pattern horses that I really liked and ... "hmmmm...."
default_new_rofl.gif

I also have recently seen several "Want" ads looking for ponies or minis of "good" mixed patterns (OK, and what then constitutes "good"???) .

Just curious on philosophies or "just 'cuz I can".

I have a couple of solid colored mares that I would love to cross on a Mini leopard appaloosa. One mare is double registered AMHR/ASPC - so that foal would be registerable as an AMHR horse and would go permanent if didn't go over the height limit by 3. She is 36" (@ top of withers), heterozygous for black and silver, no LWO (tested due to her sire being well marked/balanced frame). "Ami" has a sweet personality, stands wonderfully straight and square and moves true but doesn't have quite the extension I'd like to see. Her head is surprisingly a little plain, but OK. The 2nd mare - not sure that foal would be registerable other than hardship @ 3 due to her being ASPC only and I'm pretty sure she has finally hit 40" @ the withers herself... Again she'd be cool - shes a cremello with single agouti (Kechi). Kechi would need to be bred to a stallion who will impart a less "hot/reactive" personality - and hopefully the foal would inherit ALL of that from the sire and not from her. Kechi does have a tendency to sometimes stand under herself, though she doesn't epitomize either goose rumped or sickle hocked to me, should find a stallion a little stronger in those areas... She is currently bred to a colt that I think was totally wrong (not my choice) and I do have not one but 2 stallions I think she'll cross well with (both homozygous tobianos) in the future IF I choose to breed her again.

But soooo toying with getting one or either to an appaloosa stallion...
default_biggrin.png
First of all thanks for watching in advance! Hopefully will be getting online soon!

As for breeding pintaloosas, first of all I do LOVE some of the patterns that can happen but for me first and foremost it is because I thought the mares would cross well on that particular stallion. Do I think them ending up loud colored is a huge bonus, sure, but as long as they come out correct and healthy is my goal! In big horses it is not ok simply because of registration purposes but in minis they can be still registered so long as both parents are, regardless of color.

There are alot of mini people though that came from the big horse world that dont care for the crosses but it all comes down to personal preference just like some people prefer solids, or dont like sorrels, you will find those that love or hate pintaloosas
default_smile.png

Im sure whatever you decide to breed your mare with will be good so long as they compliment eachother conformationally!

I am attaching a few of my pintaloosa crosses to show how they can turn out! the sire of two of these is a pintaloosa himself and he is also a 3x Hall of Fame driving stallion! I hope it is ok how I attached a few of them since I couldnt get them to upload the other way
12771990_10207168692873650_228126071756339536_o.jpg

12654600_10206967872293261_4167008330855227228_n.jpg

12640493_10206967834652320_2238402098702675688_o.jpg

resizedscan0072_opt.jpg

Ok, wow - really like KC and that filly of yours, Diane.

Also, like the LAST horse posted by OP - the stallion. He is one of the ones who started making me rethink the pinto/app color Xs, years ago when I "spotted" that picture somewhere... (have no idea if it was in print or online).

I have, of course, seem some of absolutely beautiful colors and patterns and very deplorable conformation, disposition and movement. Having come from Paint Horses as a kid, I'll never forget the one farm we went to look at horses. Yep, they were all beautifully marked black and white tobianos - some had various overo characteristics. I'd never seen so many long eared, pig-eyed, roman nosed horses in one place before (there were between 10-20 horses in the one field - by the time we'd seen 2 fields, we'd decided that we'd had enough and they weren't what we were looking for). Most were also exceptionally lean and "knobby" legged, too (over at the knees or pretty badly sickle hocked). None matched the sires/dams listed on their papers - some of whom Mom and I had seen in person and raved/drooled over (& wanted offspring by if we could find them). Mom and I were both a little green (nauseous) when we left that farm and the "gentleman" who took time out of his day to show them to us was quite put out that we weren't interested in buying any of his "great horses"... Of course, none were saddle trained because they were all good breeding stock (??) - and they couldn't be "wasted" getting trained under saddle (might get injured, don't you know? <well, of course they would - they were predisposed to injury!!>). We drove quite fast once we cleared his farm driveway!!! Almost swore off registered stock as we'd been to quite a number of farms - and each one, for a while, was worse than the one previous. We went home and loved our "grade horses" all the more!

I have, of course, seem some of absolutely beautiful colors and patterns and very deplorable conformation, disposition and movement. Having come from Paint Horses as a kid, I'll never forget the one farm we went to look at horses. Yep, they were all beautifully marked black and white tobianos - some had various overo characteristics. I'd never seen so many long eared, pig-eyed, roman nosed horses in one place before (there were between 10-20 horses in the one field - by the time we'd seen 2 fields, we'd decided that we'd had enough and they weren't what we were looking for).
Sounds like you visited the farm across the road from where I boarded in college. The guy had a field full of black and white paints, beautifully marked with train-wreck conformation. I heard he went to the local sale yard and bought pretty much anything with color he could find and bred them for color. [i'm sure they weren't the same place, but I'm sure there are many similar places all over.]

Latest posts

Back