Maiden mare size

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forewarning - went a little crazy with this one on names!!!

Without reading the current rules, I don't know how many spaces you can have in your AMHR (or AMHA - know nothing about that registry) registered names.

Our ponies are registered ASPC (Shetlands). When we first got into the Shetlands, we chose the farm name of LP Painted Ponys and we paid for ($200) the prefix of "LP Painted". That's supposed to prevent anyone else from using that in front of their horse's name. ASPC allows for 21 characters to include the farm name AND spaces. That gets tough sometimes...

As to names - we've used combinations of the parents' pedigrees, weather, holidays, personality etc. I try to keep the barn names as part or or similar to the registered name - both for ones we've bred/raised and ones we've purchased... That will hopefully help family and friends or totally unknown folk match ponies up to papers if the unforeseen should happen (I'm not around). Plus it's just NICE to me.

"GG" - one of the mares that is due to foal this spring (soon?) is a little different. She is sired by Michigan's Chief Red Fox out of Little Jim's Silver Bell. She has a "giraffe" on her rump - looks just like the fisher price/avon toy that used to be available (still is on eBay). Giraffe DID NOT work for a name (GAK) - BUT it became "GG" for a barn name. She was registered as LP Painted Silver Toy H (the "H" is for her actual breeder - we bought "Bell" as a 3in1 package). "GG"s 1/2 sister - sired by All That Style N Class is registered as LP Painted Classic Bell and her barn name is "Classy".

Now that I have additional stallions, I'm trying to use a portion of the stallions name or a letter from his name to identify the resulting foals. If I had a lot of foals, I could see using a number in there to denote the year born (can't remember if that's allowed or not - it's not anymore in Pinto or wasn't the last time I did my membership and double registered ponies there).

Of all the ponies currently on our property, I think I've only got two who don't have their barn names matching their registered names. "Ami" - also on our 2016 foal list is registered as SNS Exoticas Crowning Glory and came w/ the barn name of "Amira". I dropped the "ra" from that and just use "Ami". "Taff" is registered as Showman's Buckwheat (a mare?) - didn't do anything for me. "Taff" fits her coloring and I like having a Taff. One of my favorite movies is the Disney movie called "Ride a Wild Pony" - based on the book called "A Sporting Proposition" - both set in Australia... The pony goes by "Taff" w/ the boy and "Bo" with the girl.

Wizard's first 3 foals would be - LP Painted Kava Wiz (out of Wa-Full Koalah's Silver Fluff); LP Painted RiddleMe W (based on his head marking); LPPainted K Blitzen W (born the day after Christmas - dam's name is Lady Kay and we call her K-La). Sometimes we squish the words by taking spaces out so that we can have a full name...

Hmm, after counting some of these names, I'm thinking that the name 21 spaces comes separate from the prefix or suffix. I dunno! I've always kept ours at 21... Now I'll need to pull the rule book...

Let's see - Cherry-Hill Olympic Victory is "Tory". We purchased her bred to MO Shock N Awe, EDV and the resulting colt is LP Painted MO-Olympus and we called him "OLY". We bred "Tory" to WF Action Jackson (barn name of "AJ") and the resulting colt is AJ's last foal/last son/homozygous for tobiano and is also blk/wht like his sire. His name is LP Painted AJs Echo and we call him "Echo". Right now, we're retaining Echo as a Jr stallion and eventually we'll probably have some sons/daughters whose names will go back and pick up some of Echo's dam's pedigree...

Someday I need to do up a list of the names of ponies we've bred and raised...

What amazing pictures, thanks for sharing them
default_smile.png

She must have the most wonderful temperament. If there is anything you are wishing for apart from "healthy" lets hope its that she passes some of those traits down on to her baby
default_smile.png

Looking forward to watching her as she progresses
default_smile.png
Thanks Ryan, she does have an amazing temperament and definitely want that! The stallion as well so I think this will be an amazing foal!

Forewarning - went a little crazy with this one on names!!!

Without reading the current rules, I don't know how many spaces you can have in your AMHR (or AMHA - know nothing about that registry) registered names.

Our ponies are registered ASPC (Shetlands). When we first got into the Shetlands, we chose the farm name of LP Painted Ponys and we paid for ($200) the prefix of "LP Painted". That's supposed to prevent anyone else from using that in front of their horse's name. ASPC allows for 21 characters to include the farm name AND spaces. That gets tough sometimes...

As to names - we've used combinations of the parents' pedigrees, weather, holidays, personality etc. I try to keep the barn names as part or or similar to the registered name - both for ones we've bred/raised and ones we've purchased... That will hopefully help family and friends or totally unknown folk match ponies up to papers if the unforeseen should happen (I'm not around). Plus it's just NICE to me.

"GG" - one of the mares that is due to foal this spring (soon?) is a little different. She is sired by Michigan's Chief Red Fox out of Little Jim's Silver Bell. She has a "giraffe" on her rump - looks just like the fisher price/avon toy that used to be available (still is on eBay). Giraffe DID NOT work for a name (GAK) - BUT it became "GG" for a barn name. She was registered as LP Painted Silver Toy H (the "H" is for her actual breeder - we bought "Bell" as a 3in1 package). "GG"s 1/2 sister - sired by All That Style N Class is registered as LP Painted Classic Bell and her barn name is "Classy".

Now that I have additional stallions, I'm trying to use a portion of the stallions name or a letter from his name to identify the resulting foals. If I had a lot of foals, I could see using a number in there to denote the year born (can't remember if that's allowed or not - it's not anymore in Pinto or wasn't the last time I did my membership and double registered ponies there).

Of all the ponies currently on our property, I think I've only got two who don't have their barn names matching their registered names. "Ami" - also on our 2016 foal list is registered as SNS Exoticas Crowning Glory and came w/ the barn name of "Amira". I dropped the "ra" from that and just use "Ami". "Taff" is registered as Showman's Buckwheat (a mare?) - didn't do anything for me. "Taff" fits her coloring and I like having a Taff. One of my favorite movies is the Disney movie called "Ride a Wild Pony" - based on the book called "A Sporting Proposition" - both set in Australia... The pony goes by "Taff" w/ the boy and "Bo" with the girl.

Wizard's first 3 foals would be - LP Painted Kava Wiz (out of Wa-Full Koalah's Silver Fluff); LP Painted RiddleMe W (based on his head marking); LPPainted K Blitzen W (born the day after Christmas - dam's name is Lady Kay and we call her K-La). Sometimes we squish the words by taking spaces out so that we can have a full name...

Hmm, after counting some of these names, I'm thinking that the name 21 spaces comes separate from the prefix or suffix. I dunno! I've always kept ours at 21... Now I'll need to pull the rule book...

Let's see - Cherry-Hill Olympic Victory is "Tory". We purchased her bred to MO Shock N Awe, EDV and the resulting colt is LP Painted MO-Olympus and we called him "OLY". We bred "Tory" to WF Action Jackson (barn name of "AJ") and the resulting colt is AJ's last foal/last son/homozygous for tobiano and is also blk/wht like his sire. His name is LP Painted AJs Echo and we call him "Echo". Right now, we're retaining Echo as a Jr stallion and eventually we'll probably have some sons/daughters whose names will go back and pick up some of Echo's dam's pedigree...

Someday I need to do up a list of the names of ponies we've bred and raised...
Wow!

Some great ideas in there, thank you! I just looked it up and AMHR is 35 spaces so I'm good. 21 would be hard! Here's what I'm thinking...

Mare: Windy Lands Legally Blonde

Stallion: Little R Dream Paladin

Foal: I really like the name Scout...so options:

Little Scout's Dreamland

Scout's Little Dreamland

Littleland's Dream Scout

Dreamland's Little Scout

Dreamland Scout

I do too, but think that "Dreamland's" is somebody's prefix. Shetlands - know they have Moderns & Modern Pleasure ponies. Huge write up in The Journal about one of their fillies a couple of years ago that went on to do very well at the Shetland Pony Congress. I know I saw the "stable" and the owner at Congress both years that I went, not sure if I saw that filly. That might not be the exact spelling so you might be able to use it...

Yes, here it is and they don't use an apostrophe in their name - Dreamlands Shetland Ponies

I had thought of some other names, but didn't get them on paper or computer when I thought of them and will now need to remember them... :-

I do too, but think that "Dreamland's" is somebody's prefix. Shetlands - know they have Moderns & Modern Pleasure ponies. Huge write up in The Journal about one of their fillies a couple of years ago that went on to do very well at the Shetland Pony Congress. I know I saw the "stable" and the owner at Congress both years that I went, not sure if I saw that filly. That might not be the exact spelling so you might be able to use it...

Yes, here it is and they don't use an apostrophe in their name - Dreamlands Shetland Ponies

I had thought of some other names, but didn't get them on paper or computer when I thought of them and will now need to remember them... :-
Paula,

Yes that is what I was afraid of so trying out other variations. Thanks! Is there a way to search prefixes?

Also my mare had something weird happen--

GELDING that she has seen before a few times was in the arena. Stopped to talk to the owner. Mare starts swishing her tail and acting strange. I lift her tail and she is winking like crazy! Then some fluid squirts out, thin clear dark, like tea colored. She never squatted or spread her legs or backed into him or anything (TB CROSS!) and this wasn't pee.

My vet was concerned and did an ultrasound and everything looks good, active baby.

Anyone ever have this happen? Pregger mares acting like they are in heat?

I had an AQHA mare that would appear to be in heat while pregnant. Some are just extremely hormonal.

We have a mini that was bred and than acted like she was in heat around two months later. She even allowed the stallion to cover her. Never came back in after that. Notice our surprise when she started showing signs of foaling, what we thought too early. The foal, who didn't get out of bag (foaled between hour checks), was full term. She was pregnant when she allowed herself to be covered the second time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely normal.....for some mares. And as above, they will actually let a stallion breed them....the little hussies!!!

We have a mini that was bred and than acted like she was in heat around two months later. She even allowed the stallion to cover her. Never came back in after that. Notice our surprise when she started showing signs of foaling, what we thought too early. The foal, who didn't get out of bag (foaled between hour checks), was full term. She was pregnant when she allowed herself to be covered the second time.
WOW! Ok, I'm feeling better.

Absolutely normal.....for some mares. And as above, they will actually let a stallion breed them....the little hussies!!!
Tink is definitely a hussy! lol

Here's what I found - funny, I didn't see ours on it though I have in the past. Probably just missed it. Prefix

Well, I found ours on the Suffix list, LOL - Suffix
Thanks! Interesting that Dreamlands, Dreamland, Dreamland's are not on either one of those. But I noticed the date is 2012. I can't seem to find the updated one or I don't have access. I think there is a 2014 list, can anyone find and post it? thanks!

That was the actual list that ASPC/AMHR currently shows. Maybe Dreamlands isn't in use. You are right, I was surprised by the date as well... I don't know if ASPC/AMHR has an updated list or not. I haven't updated my member ship and there are areas I can't access. Will be doing member ship fees next week.

That was the actual list that ASPC/AMHR currently shows. Maybe Dreamlands isn't in use. You are right, I was surprised by the date as well... I don't know if ASPC/AMHR has an updated list or not. I haven't updated my member ship and there are areas I can't access. Will be doing member ship fees next week.
Ok, Thanks!

219 days along...

When did you start feeling baby kick?

image.jpeg

What a pretty girl!!!

I'm no help, because I rarely if ever felt babies move, just when they did a bit of kicking when they were being re-positioned for delivery. So, hopefully some one here can help you.

If I put my arms around belly with fingers interlaced right in front of udder, I could feel light kicks and rolls at about five months. Try if about 15 minutes into the mare eating. Now, my mares are due in April and can visibility see the baby kicking if watch long enough and mares is standing still.

Latest posts

Back