Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big horse group had an obstacle class set up this weekend. I was all excited to take Rowdy! Then a storm came through and they had to cancel. Boo! There were some fun things: brush to wade through, noodles to go under, dragging something, a bridge. Backing wouldn't have been good for us; we need to work on that. I've been so focused on getting him to go forward well I haven't started on backing much yet.
Bummer about it getting canceled. That would have been so much fun for you guys. I've been thinking about setting up my own obstacle course in one of our pastures. One to drive my minis and and to desensitize my riding horses with. Pool noodles, streamers, tarps, water, poles....

Not the best drive today. Maybe the weather, but he was really wound up. I had to ground drive for about 20 minutes, practicing circles, before I got into the sulky. Then he did fine on the road until we came to the infamous cows. He was really acting up so I took the sulky off. Thank goodness we were not in the cart! The sulky just unsnaps. I make him go past the cows about 5 times and he finally went by calmly. I was retrieving my sulky from the ditch when a man drove by and stopped to see if I needed help. He brought the sulky up while I held Rowdy and we went on our way without any more trouble.

I have some trees and boulders to use for "cones".

Funny how they get themselves worked up into a tizzy some days isn't it. Clementine has those days when everything on her right side is scary. Doesn't matter if we've passed it 100 times on previous drives. Then she has days when I'm sure the 20 kids on scooters will spook her and she doesn't even blink.

Sounds like you handled it well though. Nice of that guy to stop and help. I once caught Clementine (after someone left the gate open) by the tail just before she ran out onto Main Street. I had my baby in one arm, her tail with the other hand, and she was kicking me for all she was worth. People were actually taking pictures. I eventually got her home on my own, by her tail most of the way (lucky for me she was still pretty young). Anyway... glad someone saw you might need a hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking to the woman who helped me with Rowdy and she strongly recommended that I set up cones and some backing-up barriers. This structure should help Rowdy overcome his tantrums better than just driving out and about. Even though I have boulders to drive around, that is not the same as a structured course for teaching him focus. I'm going to try it.

The cows were the same ones that freaked out my other horse, Ranger, last year. Same spot, same cows. They are white cows instead of black ones, so that must make them spookier? Rowdy has passed cows before that ran along the fence beside him mooing and didn't lose his cool. But these white ones must be extra scary.

I got out to drive Mikey on Wednesday and he was also full of himself. Now that he's not getting driven every day or so he's full of energy when I do get out to drive him. Luckily I have a couple of girlfriends that have a bit more time and will be able to get out and work with him to keep him in condition. No driving for me this weekend as I'll be volunteering at a local CDE training event. I hope to learn a lot so that when I go back in August we will know what we're doing!

Focus takes time as we all know. I'm amazed at the difference a few months of training can do. My little guy when from rearing and backing when he didn't want to do something to standing quietly and having a good time when out and driving.

Keep at it and I'm sure you'll make those cows a non-issue soon!

Had a great weekend of driving. Went out on Saturday and drove for about an hour on the track. Mikey's new boots came in and he was SO much happier going on the gravel than without them. Sunday I went out with my friend and again drove for an hour or so between the two of us. Monday saw hooking up with an old horsey friend and introducing her to the fun of driving. Mikey was a bit of a pill though, not on his best behavior. I think it was because I'd been working him for the last two days and he's had some time off since the trainers left for the summer.

I'm hoping to start going out Fri - Tues and giving him Wed and Thurs off. We need to get in shape for the CDE in August!

I loves Mikey's new shoes! I'm thinking Ms. Clementine is going to be needing some since we are going to be driving more trails and less roads.

Our weather has seemed to finally clear up so I'll be clipping Clem and Major next week then starting Major on ground driving. I was able to pick up a like new harness for him last fall for $100. It's a very nice leather one from Ozark. The woman who sold it to me bought it to show then got sick and sold all but one of her minis. So lucky me, now I have a harness for both Major and Clementine (who are about 10" different in size) so I don't have to try to custom fit the same harness to different horse before each drive/lesson. Such a huge time saver!

Took Rowdy to town again this week. My sister has a bottle calf that is pretty big now. We went back and forth by him several times till Rowdy got comfortable. He always acts up when I drive in that area of town; he lived there for the first 6 years of his life and there are lots of horses boarded there, so that probably explains some of the behavior. But he did much better this time so I feel we are making good progress.

Lots of monster harvest vehicles in our rural area now, and they are all in a hurry, so I may hold off driving our local roads till after harvest.

This weekend I drove Peanut twice and he remembered his lessons from a couple of weeks ago. Even gave me a fairly nice back up. Not perfect but he tried pretty hard. And he stood still!!!

Hitching him remains challenging as he is still so mouthy. It takes two. It is improving slowly. He does better if he is haltered and has a lead attatched that you can "step on" and control him that way. The trainer showed me that trick and I was dubious, but it works. It is almost like ground tying.

I do it when he is foolish on the cross ties too.

I enjoy reading everyone's posts!

Well I haven't been able to drive as much as I want, we are in the middle of trying to buy a house and it is taking a long time, we are living with my parents since we sold our house already and the live about an hour from the barn! Its killing me!!! Plus, with purchasing a house, we can't really spend money so my show season is down the drain!

Now that my rant is over. I finally got to go out and drive Hercules. I feel so blessed to have this little guy. He's 3, the first mini I have ever broke, start to finish, by myself and he is just FABULOUS! Since I was in Montana for a week I figured he would be a stinker. I lunged him and then hooked him up and he drove like he never missed a day. I just cant believe how good minded this horse is for only being 3 and still a stallion. He never even looks at mares and he LOVES to work. I am really bummed that I can't go to the show this month, I have already missed two, that means I can't qualify for worlds....oh well, hopefully next year! We will be more prepared that way anyways!!!

Sounds like the spring driving is really picking up for everyone! Clementine continues to be a joy to drive. She is soooo much better at standing to be harnessed and hitched. It's like a different horse from last year to this year. She turned 6 this spring so I think some of it is mental maturity.

I have good intentions to start Major ground driving and I'm hoping to get to that this month. School just got out last Friday then I spent the weekend at Search and Rescue training. I'm helping plan my little bro's wedding which is at the end of June then am in charge of a youth camp the first full week in July. After that I've got the rest of the summer off so if I can just make it through the next few weeks I'm home free for some quality driving time.

The other thing making it hard for me to get out and drive is my driving buddy being gone. My dad drives his Fox Trotter and I drive my mini and we are like our own parade through town. Well, he and my mom are off on an adventure for the next 15 months so that leaves me to drive alone. I do enjoy driving solo but it's easier to be motivated to get my butt in gear if I have someone to drive with.

We got out early this morning while it was still a little cool and before the big harvest machines got going. Rowdy did very well. Today I hitched entirely without him being tied; we are working on a good Stand for harnessing and he is getting better. We did cones first; he is still resistant in the turns but more flexible by the time we finish. Two miles of road work; we practiced backing up on the hills. Rowdy has a very long back; I think this will affect his ability to get under himself. I need to drive with an expert sometime and have his conformation evaluated. I don't want to ask him to do something he is not conformationally able to do.

A parade next weekend is in his future. And the obstacle course is rescheduled for next month.

@ Marsha: Be sure to have someone take pics of the parade for you!

I wish I knew what to look for in movement with Clementine. That's one of the reasons I'd like to find an open show to take her to. For the critique from those who know what they are doing.

When you do cones do you just put them in a line and weave in and out??

@ Marsha: Be sure to have someone take pics of the parade for you!

I wish I knew what to look for in movement with Clementine. That's one of the reasons I'd like to find an open show to take her to. For the critique from those who know what they are doing.

When you do cones do you just put them in a line and weave in and out??
I just use two cones. I had to adjust the distance between them based on my area to use and how much space he used to get into a turn. I don't have room for 3 cones, as in a barrel setup. We do a figure 8 around them, changing direction after about 8 loops. He has barriers that force him to turn (fencing, boulders, raised beds); my goal is to get him soft enough so we can do figure 8s anywhere. But he is not there yet! I am just so happy we have worked through the tantrums.

I am thinking I will stencil stars on him. It's a patriotic parade, so I will be dressed in red and I have a big flag.

I feel badly not taking Dapper Dan, but I don't have anyone to drive him and I won't humiliate him by ponying him. Rowdy needs the experience and exposure.

You guys should take videos and pictures and post them so we can see their movement
default_smile.png

I spent all day yesterday (Sunday) at the barn. Mikey hasn't been getting worked as much as he used to what with the trainer away for the summer so we have regressed a bit in our standing and being "still". I was able to get my husband to hang around long enough to help me with hitching and then we did about a kilometer at a trot along with some walking and practicing our standing and doing nothing.

I was also waiting for a woman to come out and use Mikey as a case study for her certification in the Masterson Method of equine massage. Because of this and her running late we had to stop driving an hour before she was supposed to get there so he could cool down. He got some paddock time eating grass, followed by a bath since the weather turned nicer. It was really interesting to watch Samantha work on Mikey. You could see the change in his demeanor as muscles relaxed. I'm curious to see how this changes his impulsion and movement when we drive again.

I need to get someone out to video me as I'm driving - I'm usually the one taking pictures of others!

You guys should take videos and pictures and post them so we can see their movement
default_smile.png
Such a great idea. I love watching others videos but I didn't even think of posting my own... I'm a bit slow some days.

@ dalvers63 : Lucky Mikey to be a massage case study! I'd love to hear if it improves his movement. I'm a HUGE believer in the benefits of massage. Wish I could find someone affordable around here for my riding horse.

It's hard to get someone to take pictures. I almost always drive alone. But it's a great way to get a better idea of how we are working together. I wonder if I could set up the tripod and get it adjusted to a good angle? I might try that.

It's hard to get someone to take pictures. I almost always drive alone. But it's a great way to get a better idea of how we are working together. I wonder if I could set up the tripod and get it adjusted to a good angle? I might try that.
I usually drive alone too but this gives me a good excuse to get my husband involved. Also, setting up your phone/camera on a tripod or even just up on some buckets can get pretty good shots. I've had to do that with grooming before. Just make sure you remember what your "picture area" is so you don't drift way out of the frame. I've done that with grooming videos and have to do them all over again :p

Clementine is getting fat and it's totally my fault. I've been terrible about driving this spring. I miss my driving buddy! I'm making it a goal to get her out this week. Tomorrow may be the day. I'm pretty sure I don't have anything planned so me and DS may have to go for a drive. I need to start logging some hours for sure. DS is only 6 but he can work my phone video camera better than me so maybe I'll have him take a short video to share...

I usually drive alone too but this gives me a good excuse to get my husband involved. Also, setting up your phone/camera on a tripod or even just up on some buckets can get pretty good shots. I've had to do that with grooming before. Just make sure you remember what your "picture area" is so you don't drift way out of the frame. I've done that with grooming videos and have to do them all over again :p

Clementine is getting fat and it's totally my fault. I've been terrible about driving this spring. I miss my driving buddy! I'm making it a goal to get her out this week. Tomorrow may be the day. I'm pretty sure I don't have anything planned so me and DS may have to go for a drive. I need to start logging some hours for sure. DS is only 6 but he can work my phone video camera better than me so maybe I'll have him take a short video to share...
Great idea about setting up the camera. I need to do that and luckily my husband is more interested in playing with the horses than my other hobby (fishing) so I can usually get him to come out to the barn.

Mikey was having the same issues as Clementine. With my only able to get out on the weekends these days he spends his weeks being lazy! I should have my own transportation soon (yay for truck shopping!) and I'll be getting out there 4-5 times a week. I need to get him in shape if I plan to do anything substantial at the upcoming CDE.

Good luck with getting out to drive Ms C!

Latest posts

Back