Sign in to follow this  
MajorClementine

Your Drive Day

OOOO a sleigh! How fun!!! I would love to drive in the snow some day :)

Finally got someone to take a quick video and picture of Hercules and I. This is drive #5 and he is fabulous! He is going to be so athletic and fancy hopefully!

Finally got his papers, his dad is multiple Champion and Reserve champion Country pleasure driving horse Meridians Dyna Tempest and his mother is a multiple champion and reserve champion classic pleasure driving horse 7S Nashvilles Crown Jewel. Interesting that he turned out a chestnut with flaxen mane and his mother was a black and white pinto and his sire was a bay with 4 white socks! I am not really a fan of his registered name but oh well.... It is Crown Jewels Ultimate. I was hoping it had something to do with Hercules or something like that.

Here's a picture and video. Hope you all have a happy holidays!!!!

Hercules Drive #5

• Like 3

It's done nothing but snow, snow, snow here ...

Gotta do something with all of this snow...

We had fun w/ ponies, lariats & inner-tubes or those red plastic toboggan sleds

Finally got his papers, his dad is multiple Champion and Reserve champion Country pleasure driving horse Meridians Dyna Tempest and his mother is a multiple champion and reserve champion classic pleasure driving horse 7S Nashvilles Crown Jewel. Interesting that he turned out a chestnut with flaxen mane and his mother was a black and white pinto and his sire was a bay with 4 white socks!

Easy - both horses (sire & dam) are heterozygous black (Ee). Hercules got the little "e" from both parents, making him a chestnut. Even if Hercules got his sire's bay gene (A?), it won't show on a "red" base. The "A" for bay stands for Agouti. Can't remember why Bay is called Agouti and not a modifier or dilution gene.

For the first time ever, since I started breeding ponies, my stallions are not homozygous black and neither are a lot of my mares (some are). I have a chance of getting quite a few chestnuts in the next years - they will be my first ones in the 20 years I've bred Shetlands. I've always had black, brown, bay and silver (black or bay) from my personal breeding program in the past. In fact - all of our foals sired by Wizard will carry at least 1 bay gene (A?) because he's homozygous for bay (AA) making them all bay if they are black based and able to pass a bay gene if chestnut and used for breeding in the future.

I can "wax on" forever on color. There is always something new to learn with colors. I wanted the silver coloring in my ponies so concentrated on putting a group of silver mares together to use for breeding (and a silver stallion for a while) and was very "lucky" to accidentally find a stallion that was homozygous for both black and tobiano (getting my beloved spots, too). This 3rd generation of ponies for us will be interesting indeed. We will have all the colors of the rainbow available except true grey (which I DO NOT WANT to introduce into my herd. I don't like a true grey horse, never have, and there are too many good ones out there to "have to use" a grey)...

And actually - all of the stallions we've purchased and raised to use in our breeding program have been homozygous for tobiano... Was a "treat" finding that out on both the silver stallion and on the very last colt that our 1st stallion sired. :yes All of my foals have been tobiano pintos in the past - a few have also carried characteristics of overo patterning - and will be into the future.

Edited by paintponylvr

^^ Color genetics are fascinating. I've read up a little but I love when people really understand color genes.

Curious as to why you don't care for the grey gene. In thoroughbreds we tried to steer clear because of the increased risk for skin cancers...

In driving news, lots of sleighs out today. Three days of snow with not enough snow plows makes for some good snow packed roads for sleigh rides. It is so much fun to see people pulling out sleighs that have been in their families for generations. Some haven't been used for several years due to poor sleighing conditions. November- late January used to be sleigh weather out here. Everyone had a sleigh. Anymore a snow storm before Thanksgiving is rare and most of the time the snow doesn't stick around long.

Going to get Clementine out with the kids sled behind her on Saturday. Hooray! Also going to put the sleigh runners on my EE cart if we have time. Merry Christmas everyone!

^^ Color genetics are fascinating. I've read up a little but I love when people really understand color genes.

Curious as to why you don't care for the grey gene. In thoroughbreds we tried to steer clear because of the increased risk for skin cancers...

In driving news, lots of sleighs out today. Three days of snow with not enough snow plows makes for some good snow packed roads for sleigh rides. It is so much fun to see people pulling out sleighs that have been in their families for generations. Some haven't been used for several years due to poor sleighing conditions. November- late January used to be sleigh weather out here. Everyone had a sleigh. Anymore a snow storm before Thanksgiving is rare and most of the time the snow doesn't stick around long.

Going to get Clementine out with the kids sled behind her on Saturday. Hooray! Also going to put the sleigh runners on my EE cart if we have time. Merry Christmas everyone!

Grey - partially as you say. One of my favorite bloodlines in Welsh was heavy in greys. I dealt (at a distance as I was an acquaintance) with him (stallion) during a case of skin melanoma. Then I worked for the vet clinic when he came in when it spread to his head/face. It was terrible. That is one of the few times that I was both disturbed and cried (A LOT) over someone else's pony!! Then his 3 month old daughter came in. OMG - at 3 months of age she had an advanced case of melanoma starting at her face... She died during treatment before she ever reached 5 months old. The bills that woman received were tremendous -but her stallion sired a lot of foals for her that went on to great careers - riding, jumping, show, driving and family pets. I do understand that not all greys get melanoma.

Then - I just have never really cared for true greys. I learned as a youth that you could get a "grey" with a roan (some roans have melanoma problems, too). Also, because I like pintos and appaloosas and have long bred for "color" - we didn't want to introduce a gene that would "erase" the color from sight. When I was 12 I worked with a beautiful black pinto arabian stallion. It was awesome. I went on to other things for a while and then went back to the farm where he was and he "wasn't there"... I couldn't find him and I was upset, LOL. He was there. He was no longer black and white w/ pretty snip on his muzzle but a "white" horse! Until he got wet w/ sweat and then hosed off, I truly didn't recognize him!! I was dumbfounded - that was my firsthand introduction to how greys change colors. I understood better then how Lipizzaners change color.

and then I DISCOVERED :wub "SILVERS" (I knew them as "chocolates" first) :wub !! I was, and STILL AM, in LOVE. Then you can combine them w/ my beloved "spots"! If I get a mini - I'd want a "CHOCOLATE" blanket or :drool leopard :drool that I could drive.

Enjoy your Christmas snow... If you get the chance to show pics, I'd love to see.

Something wrong here - just doesn't seem like Christmas when we can run around in swim suits!! The pool however, would turn you blue!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Edited by paintponylvr

This makes the "Sleighing Song" come alive!

Well we have been trying to get our house ready to put on the market all week so I haven't gotten to see Hercules!!! I am going to go out tonight and see him and drive him though. We had been working on bending. I am excited to see him. That is one down fall to not having him in my backyard!

Whoo! Hoo! We finally got 3 of the minis down here to So. FLA. Yesterday was wonderful. My BFF and I got to go for a nice easy drive around the canal, about a 2 mile loop. Kelli is just learning to drive so it was a real treat. The day was just about perfect, great temp, sky a bit overcast, light winds and best of all light traffic!

• Like 2

Glad there is still some driving going on around here!

Didn't take Clementine out this week but I did take our Fox Trotter, Red, out with my father while he was up visiting. It was a cold but gloriously sunny day. We've been remodeling our kitchen and I needed to get out of the house. We went late enough that I didn't want to get Clementine out and sweaty since she is in full Yak coat. Hopefully we'll start to thaw out soon :)

Rowdy and I had a great drive day yesterday. I took him over to the trainer; she had not seen him in cart since he left her. She was thrilled with his progress and excited to see him working. We both rode in the cart; practiced getting in and out with a quiet "stand". She helped me make a few adjustments to the bridle. He does not have his driving muscles developed yet, so we only worked a little over an hour. He is really using his hind end well. Transitions are getting better; I need to focus on giving the transition cue consistently.

My 19 year old avatar horse has more stamina; his driving muscles are well developed and I think that makes a big difference.