Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOOO a sleigh! How fun!!! I would love to drive in the snow some day
default_smile.png

Finally got someone to take a quick video and picture of Hercules and I. This is drive #5 and he is fabulous! He is going to be so athletic and fancy hopefully!

Finally got his papers, his dad is multiple Champion and Reserve champion Country pleasure driving horse Meridians Dyna Tempest and his mother is a multiple champion and reserve champion classic pleasure driving horse 7S Nashvilles Crown Jewel. Interesting that he turned out a chestnut with flaxen mane and his mother was a black and white pinto and his sire was a bay with 4 white socks! I am not really a fan of his registered name but oh well.... It is Crown Jewels Ultimate. I was hoping it had something to do with Hercules or something like that.

Here's a picture and video. Hope you all have a happy holidays!!!!

https://instagram.com/p/_ifJ_NixkjZnZdBp_Y6ube2Jbu5W4ar2UHZ_I0/

Finally got his papers, his dad is multiple Champion and Reserve champion Country pleasure driving horse Meridians Dyna Tempest and his mother is a multiple champion and reserve champion classic pleasure driving horse 7S Nashvilles Crown Jewel. Interesting that he turned out a chestnut with flaxen mane and his mother was a black and white pinto and his sire was a bay with 4 white socks!
Easy - both horses (sire & dam) are heterozygous black (Ee). Hercules got the little "e" from both parents, making him a chestnut. Even if Hercules got his sire's bay gene (A?), it won't show on a "red" base. The "A" for bay stands for Agouti. Can't remember why Bay is called Agouti and not a modifier or dilution gene.

For the first time ever, since I started breeding ponies, my stallions are not homozygous black and neither are a lot of my mares (some are). I have a chance of getting quite a few chestnuts in the next years - they will be my first ones in the 20 years I've bred Shetlands. I've always had black, brown, bay and silver (black or bay) from my personal breeding program in the past. In fact - all of our foals sired by Wizard will carry at least 1 bay gene (A?) because he's homozygous for bay (AA) making them all bay if they are black based and able to pass a bay gene if chestnut and used for breeding in the future.

I can "wax on" forever on color. There is always something new to learn with colors. I wanted the silver coloring in my ponies so concentrated on putting a group of silver mares together to use for breeding (and a silver stallion for a while) and was very "lucky" to accidentally find a stallion that was homozygous for both black and tobiano (getting my beloved spots, too). This 3rd generation of ponies for us will be interesting indeed. We will have all the colors of the rainbow available except true grey (which I DO NOT WANT to introduce into my herd. I don't like a true grey horse, never have, and there are too many good ones out there to "have to use" a grey)...

And actually - all of the stallions we've purchased and raised to use in our breeding program have been homozygous for tobiano... Was a "treat" finding that out on both the silver stallion and on the very last colt that our 1st stallion sired.
default_yes.gif
All of my foals have been tobiano pintos in the past - a few have also carried characteristics of overo patterning - and will be into the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Color genetics are fascinating. I've read up a little but I love when people really understand color genes.

Curious as to why you don't care for the grey gene. In thoroughbreds we tried to steer clear because of the increased risk for skin cancers...

In driving news, lots of sleighs out today. Three days of snow with not enough snow plows makes for some good snow packed roads for sleigh rides. It is so much fun to see people pulling out sleighs that have been in their families for generations. Some haven't been used for several years due to poor sleighing conditions. November- late January used to be sleigh weather out here. Everyone had a sleigh. Anymore a snow storm before Thanksgiving is rare and most of the time the snow doesn't stick around long.

Going to get Clementine out with the kids sled behind her on Saturday. Hooray! Also going to put the sleigh runners on my EE cart if we have time. Merry Christmas everyone!

^^ Color genetics are fascinating. I've read up a little but I love when people really understand color genes.

Curious as to why you don't care for the grey gene. In thoroughbreds we tried to steer clear because of the increased risk for skin cancers...

In driving news, lots of sleighs out today. Three days of snow with not enough snow plows makes for some good snow packed roads for sleigh rides. It is so much fun to see people pulling out sleighs that have been in their families for generations. Some haven't been used for several years due to poor sleighing conditions. November- late January used to be sleigh weather out here. Everyone had a sleigh. Anymore a snow storm before Thanksgiving is rare and most of the time the snow doesn't stick around long.

Going to get Clementine out with the kids sled behind her on Saturday. Hooray! Also going to put the sleigh runners on my EE cart if we have time. Merry Christmas everyone!
Grey - partially as you say. One of my favorite bloodlines in Welsh was heavy in greys. I dealt (at a distance as I was an acquaintance) with him (stallion) during a case of skin melanoma. Then I worked for the vet clinic when he came in when it spread to his head/face. It was terrible. That is one of the few times that I was both disturbed and cried (A LOT) over someone else's pony!! Then his 3 month old daughter came in. OMG - at 3 months of age she had an advanced case of melanoma starting at her face... She died during treatment before she ever reached 5 months old. The bills that woman received were tremendous -but her stallion sired a lot of foals for her that went on to great careers - riding, jumping, show, driving and family pets. I do understand that not all greys get melanoma.

Then - I just have never really cared for true greys. I learned as a youth that you could get a "grey" with a roan (some roans have melanoma problems, too). Also, because I like pintos and appaloosas and have long bred for "color" - we didn't want to introduce a gene that would "erase" the color from sight. When I was 12 I worked with a beautiful black pinto arabian stallion. It was awesome. I went on to other things for a while and then went back to the farm where he was and he "wasn't there"... I couldn't find him and I was upset, LOL. He was there. He was no longer black and white w/ pretty snip on his muzzle but a "white" horse! Until he got wet w/ sweat and then hosed off, I truly didn't recognize him!! I was dumbfounded - that was my firsthand introduction to how greys change colors. I understood better then how Lipizzaners change color.

and then I DISCOVERED
default_wub.png
"SILVERS" (I knew them as "chocolates" first)
default_wub.png
!! I was, and STILL AM, in LOVE. Then you can combine them w/ my beloved "spots"! If I get a mini - I'd want a "CHOCOLATE" blanket or
default_drool5.gif
leopard
default_drool5.gif
that I could drive.

Enjoy your Christmas snow... If you get the chance to show pics, I'd love to see.

Something wrong here - just doesn't seem like Christmas when we can run around in swim suits!! The pool however, would turn you blue!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited by a moderator:

This makes the "Sleighing Song" come alive!

Well we have been trying to get our house ready to put on the market all week so I haven't gotten to see Hercules!!! I am going to go out tonight and see him and drive him though. We had been working on bending. I am excited to see him. That is one down fall to not having him in my backyard!

Whoo! Hoo! We finally got 3 of the minis down here to So. FLA. Yesterday was wonderful. My BFF and I got to go for a nice easy drive around the canal, about a 2 mile loop. Kelli is just learning to drive so it was a real treat. The day was just about perfect, great temp, sky a bit overcast, light winds and best of all light traffic!

Glad there is still some driving going on around here!

Didn't take Clementine out this week but I did take our Fox Trotter, Red, out with my father while he was up visiting. It was a cold but gloriously sunny day. We've been remodeling our kitchen and I needed to get out of the house. We went late enough that I didn't want to get Clementine out and sweaty since she is in full Yak coat. Hopefully we'll start to thaw out soon
default_smile.png

Rowdy and I had a great drive day yesterday. I took him over to the trainer; she had not seen him in cart since he left her. She was thrilled with his progress and excited to see him working. We both rode in the cart; practiced getting in and out with a quiet "stand". She helped me make a few adjustments to the bridle. He does not have his driving muscles developed yet, so we only worked a little over an hour. He is really using his hind end well. Transitions are getting better; I need to focus on giving the transition cue consistently.

My 19 year old avatar horse has more stamina; his driving muscles are well developed and I think that makes a big difference.

since i had my second knee replaced in december, i have been out of it. i had my boys' team trained' last spring, but then my knee got so bad i was lucky to drive 1.

i have my team harness ready to go, my wagon is ready and i only need the team pole set up to be ready to go. my knee has healed well and by the time i have them ready to hook up the team pole should be settled. i will be looking forward to joining this thread, i love hearing all your stuff.

Finally got my husband to come out and take some pictures and video of us so I know what we look like! Hercules is doing great! We have started to work on bending our shoulders, bending/counterbending while going straight. That is the hard part! He is great at bending in a circle now and very relaxed. He is excellent at lateral movements which is funny as usually they don't pick that up this quickly but he is so athletic!! Slowly but surely we are getting it. He is super smart I just wish I had more time to get out to the barn. We are in the process of selling our home and trying to find a new one with no luck. On top of that my car broke down
default_sad.png
so we are down to 1 vehicle at the moment until we get it fixed.

I love how with just a little of the flexing of the shoulders I am doing he is already starting to pick himself up a little more and open his shoulders up and hold his neck up higher. He is VERY lazy for a country pleasure horse so I am hoping his brains and athleticism take over as he matures in the cart so we will still be competitive. I cant wait to body clip him to see whats under all his fuzz!

I am just getting back from a trip to Ventura, CA. I had some wheels from a horse size Meadowbrook that needed re-tired. I found a wheelwright in the Ventura area so I took a little vacation with my son and drove down. He did a beautiful job on the wheels! He had a well loved 4-wheel surrey for $800 that I was really tempted to buy. It needed the hubs tightened up on the wheels (spokes were a bit lose) and the springs were a bit soft but it was in pretty good shape. I was thinking of picking it up for advertising my grooming business in parades.... Now if I only had $800 I was mad at...

Banner and i have finally been out again, so i can post! haha. He had a big break over winter - ive just been so busy. He got a tiny chest clip because we have a lesson next week so i really had to get him in the cart to refresh him. He was good, but it was the first time i had used a whip and he had a few spooks when he was able to feel it brush him or see it somehow. He was not as fluid as he normally has been, but i put that down to not having been in the cart for months!

He did very well though. As soon as we started the house alarm started, he didn't blink and eye. Then my uncle arrived, so a big creaky yard gate being opened and a noisy van coming in - again NOTHING. He didn't react at all to my uncle fussing around him and he even had a little go haha.

12805920_10207318449416949_7260082637443541553_n.jpg

12799377_10207318448936937_6918471853489362544_n.jpg

Rowdy and I were out today. I was gone for a week and this is our first drive in about 10 days. I did feel more comfortable ground driving him for a few minutes, doing some circles and figure 8s. Then we went out on the road in the cart. He did very well and I felt pretty comfortable with him. He came down from a brisk trot to a slow trot nicely. We passed some cows, but today they did not moo and run, so he just gave them a look. He is getting more flexible in the turns. One of my goals is to do a nice wide turn instead of the pivot he keeps trying to do; today he was much better. The figure 8s are helping with that. I did have to exit the cart to reinforce the "stand" once. But then he stood well until asked to walk on.

I make sure I stay alert and focused.

Well today was a big day for me. i got rosco and charlie in early, i was feeling pretty good. i brought them to the tie rack and tied them next to each other, and began to put the team harness's on them. everything did not fit, so spent a long time fitting them.

last year i sent them to a trainer to become a team. i was given specific directions on how to harness them. it's been a year since then. so i didn't mind letting them stand there for a while. got them done and they stood like angels.

i was alone in the barn and was pretty sure they would be fine, but did not want to take them outside until i tested them.HAPPILY i asked them to turn right , wow, they did. straight down the aisle way. did circles and figure 8's and lots of whoas and goes in the aisle way that is 40 feet by 10 feet. forgot about serpentines. anyhow we had a ball.

Well a lot has been going on in my life and it has been hard to get out and drive. It is my stress reliever and happy time so it was definitely needed. I finally got out yesterday. It's been over a week since I have been out. I just have to say I ABSOLUTELY ADORE this horse. He's recently turned 3 and still a stallion and he is the same horse every time. He's only been going in the cart a short time but always remembers everything we worked on, no matter how long ago it was. He's not where I want him to be at this point but no fault of his own, life recently has gotten in the way of that unfortunately. I still hope to show him this season. I badly want to body clip him to see what's under there. Hes SO FURRY! (His neck and belly are clipped). https://instagram.com/p/BCfup_Tixrwr4ICT03UE_JT2j7YK6HDolAP6Kc0/

https://instagram.com/p/BCfubrRCxraT8KnyEIzlW74vG6SNRmiuV_R9nY0/

@Strangeaddiction : He's got beautiful movement! I am itching to clip as well but we've got another couple of months here. I need to wait until the grass comes up at least. Otherwise I will need to blanket every night... and I don't even own blankets for them
default_whistling.gif

I am getting excited to start ground driving Major this spring. I believe he has some training because he is very easy to get to move out in front of me. He is much smaller but more "drafty" than Clementine. He is only 29" high but boy is he a mover. Those little legs can move at light speed. I just let him and Clem out into the big pasture yesterday and they took off running and kicking. Clem was booking it down the fence line and Major turned on the heat and not only caught up to, but passed Clem. I was amazed. Chariot horse??

Thank you! His Dad is multi champion Country Pleasure driving horse, Meridians Dyna Tempest and his mother is multi champion classic pleasure driving horse 7S Nashvilles Crown Jewell. I am thinking he will be a country pleasure horse, too much action for classic pleasure. Hoping to do all around stuff with him eventually
default_smile.png

That's so fun!!! Can't wait to hear/see how he progresses! I love to track and see progress that we all make with our horses
default_smile.png
Sometimes you don't think you are making much progress but then you look back at where you started and are AMAZED!!!

Rocklone: That's a beautiful horse you've got there! And I have to say, your posture in the cart... that's what I strive for. Is it weird that I notice posture??
default_smile.png

Marsha: Sounds like a good session all around. Wide turns are something we need to work on too. I didn't think about figure 8s to help with that. I think I need to do a little more arena driving to to work on fine tuning. I also need to do more research on fine tuning.... still pretty new to this.

jeannie: I so badly want a team. Isn't it funny how they seem to remember more than we do sometimes. Are you using breast collars or neck collars on your team? I'm toying with the idea of picking up a close match for my Clem to team with but I'm a little worried about personalities. How long were your two together before you had them worked with as a team? The mini I'm looking at belongs to a friend and I'm hoping he'd let me take her for a while to see if the two can even get along before I buy her and try to make a team out of them...

I think this year I am investing in a "Comfy Fit" breast collar for Clem. I want to work her in the sulky I picked up last fall and it does not have a tree. So I'm thinking the comfy fit will be more comfortable for her pulling that vehicle. Less cutting into or rubbing on her shoulders. I'd love to just get the full harness, however, I think I'm going to have to do it a piece at a time.

Latest posts

Back