Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I'm going to try tying and see how it goes. I drove him today an Holy Moley was he hot. Hubby drove him first, then I took over. He tried his old "scoot" maneuver today but I knew it was coming. He was trotting and scooted forward into my hands and I brought him back with my elbows soft and dropped and he came back and set his head and strutted o_O. Like Marsha says, my toes curled a little. It was an interesting moment, how his forward momentum was channeled into collection for those few strides.

I never have help and ALWAYS hitch alone. I tie them to the fence, harness and hitch them up. Then I usually go open a gate so we can go outside. I leave their halter on and then put their bridle on top over their halter. Then I untie them from fence, get in cart and make them back up before going forward. Anytime I get out of the cart I always make them back up before going forward again.
It seems to be the custom in these parts: halter first saddle & pad, then bridle over it to ride my horse.

We tried out the covered wagon today. I wanted to make sure everything stayed in place. Had to do some tweaking, but I think we are ready for the parades. Dapper Dan was a total trooper! So proud of him. My sister went along, driving Midnight, so keep an eye on stuff to see if it fell off or came loose. I am thinking about my costume. Today I did wear the felt hat that belonged to my dad; I wanted to make sure it would stay on and not interfere. We went 2.7 miles, mostly walking. Scared the neighbor's big horses pretty well. trial wagon 2.jpgtrial wagon 4.jpgtrial wagon3.jpg

Everything about that is just perfect, Marsha! You and Dan and wagon look adorable!

You must have had a lot of fun gathering the bits and pieces for your wagon!

I think it is different with vehicles than riding.

I'll take your word for it Marsha; I have not driven a horse. It is not even universal to leave a halter on a riding horse under the bridle; but here is an old boy who talks about this topic. It is sort of shaming to notice that the bit usually gets applied with help from a thumb through the ring into the gum. With me, the horse is accustomed to (occasionally) getting a candy (my name for an apple wafer) so I never needed gum presssue to open for the bit.

Wow Marsha so cool! Happy Mothers Day to any other mothers, we went to the flower shop via cart. Then a shirtless jerk on a motorcycle took an illegal left turn at the same time as a car turning right onto the street we were on, looked me straight in the face and revved past us! Chaos had a minor spook taking two steps but was a trooper, if a bit edgy after that.96371230-5E34-4A7B-9907-959826FA5D7E.jpeg

Wow Marsha so cool! Happy Mothers Day to any other mothers, we went to the flower shop via cart. Then a shirtless jerk on a motorcycle took an illegal left turn at the same time as a car turning right onto the street we were on, looked me straight in the face and revved past us! Chaos had a minor spook taking two steps but was a trooper, if a bit edgy after that.View attachment 47127
O my goodness, how scary! What a good boy, Chaos. A trip to flower shop by horse and cart sounds like a marvelous Mother's Day outing!

A beautiful photo of all three of you, and as Marsha says, a marvelous outing. Love the mini boots color! Is your cart pink? Very cool!

Careless and dumb motorcyclist, Obviously he failed to grasp that horses are the original freedom ride with four on the floor, leather seats, all terrain, and as such deserve respect! 😂

Chaos took good care of you both! 🤗

Sadly it is turning pink lol! It originally was red but the sun is fading it like crazy. I have some enamel spray paint I need to coat it with eventually.

Latest posts

Back