Quilting Frames

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky seven

Reaction score
For the quilters out there, has anyone used or know anyone who has, the plastic frames that are sold at JoAnns? I'm thinking of the large ones that are adjustable and tilt on one side? I'm wondering if the plastic clamps that hold the quilt in place are so tight that they rip the quilts when taken off. I had the hand hold type for cross stitching and the plastic clamps were so tight that I struggled to move them. Any advice would be welcome. These frames don't take up a lot of space and are affordable.

I would like to make a correction, I meant to say they are plastic tubes. The sections that hold the quilt down are half sections of the tubes. I was wondering how tight they hold the quilt down and if they are easy or hard to take off and adjust.

I lap quilt using one of those PVC type frames. It's not on a stand or anything, I just keep it in my lap and quilt away. Oddly enough, it holds the fabric better than my old style wooden hoop. And it is so easy to move around as the plastic holder parts just pop right on and off. I'll never go back to the old wooden ones. And, even though it isn't really all that large, I've hand quilted a king sized quilt with it. Just start in the middle and work your way to the outside.

My original one was probably....oh......20 years old when the plastic snappy parts wouldn't keep a grip and would pop off. I figure they just probably just stretched out over time. But I got my money's worth out of them. I just went back and bought a new one (with my 50% off coupon, of course).

Thanks! I've been looking at the floor model but now I'll look into the lap quilt one also. I'm not that crazy about the wooden ones. They pop apart too easy and leave marks.

I even have this large wicker basket that I sit down next to my quilting chair and I keep whatever I'm working on in there when I'm not actually quilting. There is a fabric bag with needles and thread and scissors, everything I need (including the plastic quilting frame). This past year when my hubby was so ill and we were at a doctor's office or therapist four days a week, I simply took it with me and I'd quilt in the waiting room. It is surprising how much you can get done in an hour or two while waiting. And people would come over and ask about it. I never mind showing off whatever my current project is and explaining about quilting. I love that it is so very portable.

Latest posts

Back