Unexpected and Waiting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Headed to my folks now. She foaled unassisted a beautiful baby filly!! I haven't seen her yet, but my Mom said she looks like a buckskin in color. We all know how those mini coats are though!!

Sqqqueeaa!! Thanks to everyone with their advice and suggestions!

Definitely not buckskin in color, but still super cute!

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0721.jpg

DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

DSC_0726.jpg

Very cute. Congrats! Looks sorrel, but since mom looks silver dapple, a silver something is possible, depending on what daddy is.

What a GORGEOUS little boy!!!! Looks chestnut to me too, but with that silver gene at work......what color was daddy??

CONGRATULATIONS!! Well done, little momma!!

Thank you everyone
default_smile.png

Supposedly the Dad is a bay... Which puzzled the vet a bit. I'm not savvy at all with color genetics, but I'm not complaining a bit with this little man.

Everything went flawlessly, the vet was VERY pleased with him and the placenta. Her notes from the visit:

BAR strong and good fight. Eyes wnl (but discussed that JFA should double check for anterior segment dysgenesis later). Good suckle, palate is palpably normal. Administered enema, and then had excellent passage of meconium. Umbilicus dry and normal (we dipped), 1 finger hernia. 2 testicles. Mild laxity x 4 limbs, mild carpal valgus. T= 99F P= 80 reg R= 20 eup. Ribcage palps wnl, lungs and trachea auscult wnl, GI auscults wnl.

IgG SNAP >800

Dx: healthy baby!

<> No turn out for at least 7-10 days, to allow the tendons to mature a little more.

<> Dip the navel in betadyne solution once or twice daily for one week.

<> CALL quickly for any problems or concerns! When foals fail, they do it fast!

<> Congratulations on the cutest foal I have ever seen!!!

Not a huge surprise on the foal color, although with a bay daddy, the foal could be silver bay. Time and/or testing will tell for certain. Right now he looks sorrel, but silver bays are often mistaken for sorrel, especially as babies.

What color are baby's eyelashes? Not 100%, but usually white eyelashes will mean silver, in this case silver bay, I think. [but, regardless we should give it a week or two and revisit his color with new pictures, new born foal camouflage will distort the true color.]

And, sorrel is a possibility with this cross, it just means neither parent is homozygous for black, and if sorrel, both parents gave their copy of red. Red is recessive to black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eyelashes are white on the little man.

I appreciate the explanation on the potiental of his color. I includled a couple more pictures of today. He's doing very well, curious and bouncing. Mum is a bit more passive, but she's a very good one as far as I can tell
default_smile.png

She was turned out with the stallion pictured in my avatar given she was sold to us pregnant. When bloodwork came back she was removed from his company(a week later) and she had no further contact with him. She wouldn't be due until August 20th and I'm unaware if the previous owner had any other stallions other than the remarked bay. I find silver bay's quite stunning, so I certainly would be pleased with that. Honestly I don't think there is a bad color, I'm just beyond thrilled he's healthy and everything went so smoothly.

11015193_10154449332662228_2392213365052839122_n.jpg
11659230_10154449516762228_3666174529373898117_n.jpg
11053409_10154449347532228_264044880533285601_n.jpg

My vote is a silver bay.

I noted in the vet notes that s/he is saying no turn out for 7-10 days because of lax tendons. I totally disagree with this. Turn out with his momma, in a small area with no other horses is what he needs to strengthen the tendons.

I'm going to post a picture of one of my foals who was born with VERY lax tendons -- his "knees" bent the wrong way completely. Then, I put him out with his momma, where he got exercise "at his speed" and within a week, he was standing up perfectly normal. The key is to keep him away from other horses that could make him perhaps try to run before he is ready. But, left out with his momma, he will exercise and strengthen his legs in a "controlled" environment, as his momma won't stress him before he's ready. I'll load the pictures now.

Eva's colt 3.jpg Eva's colt 5.jpg

and one week later....

Eva's colt - 1 week old - 4.jpg

Last edited:
I also agree with Diane on this, turnout with his mumma in a small area will help greatly to strengthen his tendons. If you can find Magic Marker Minis 2015 thread , one of their foals this year also had problems with tendons. Turnout time with mumma helped to quickly strengthen her tendons.

He is just lovely , keep those pics coming
default_smile.png

I agree with both Ryan and Diane. My filly that was born this year also had lax tendons. From the looks of your photos, my filly was worse than your colt is, but not as bad as Diane's little one. My vet gave me the same advice as yours did, but I chose to follow Diane's advice instead. Within two weeks the legs looked great! She is now about 7 weeks old and last week I had the vet out to do coggins. She looked at my filly and was amazed at how great her legs look - and remarked that she didn't think she would be so straight. So, I suggest following Diane's advice on this one too!

Yes our filly's back legs where bad. She walked around hunched because she couldn't straighten her back legs. She layed down a lot and when up too long, her hips shook from being tired. Afteer a week, she was more straight. You can see the pictures on my thread. She now has very straight. legs and races all over the place.

I wonder if she was worried about the fact we have two mini donkey's and another miniature mare. Perhaps she was afraid we were going to throw him out with them, which we wouldn't do... But she didn't know us, no telling :/ Since we were "first timers" she may not have wanted to offend us, I'm not sure. She appeared genuine, but it seemed odd to bottle up such a bottle of energy.

We turned him out yesterday with Mum and he's figured those little legs out! Misty appeared to be getting short nerved with him as he continued to disappear behind the cabin and out of sight *chuckle* Legs are looking better already!

tn_DSC_0723.jpg

He found my phone laying in the grass

tn_DSC_0718.jpg

tn_DSC_0712.jpg

tn_DSC_0737.jpg

tn_DSC_0739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another silver bay vote here! He's the same colour and same side as a friends one who has an amazing dappley silver bay going on. He is stunning.

What a handsome little boy!!! And his legs look very good, and he'll be 100% in no time at all, I'm sure!!

Silver Bay, and VERY handsome!!

Oh my! He is Beautiful! Love his pics! So what is his name? I absolutely love the pic by the wood pile.

Latest posts

Back