Unexpected and Waiting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeaks

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, its been awhile since I've posted here, but things have been incredibly chaotic!! Hopefully some light can be shed on "Misty" here. First and foremost, thank you for reading and please forgive me on the size of the pictures. I am on an unfamiliar computer and Photobucket doesn't want to cooperate
default_sad.png

We purchased this mare in September of last year. We were told she was turned out with a stallion and thus more than likely pregnant.

We got bloodwork done shortly after we got her that deemed her "not pregnant." So we worried no longer, breathed a sigh of relief, and resumed life.

Well, I clipped her two weeks ago and realized her bulging sides were not in fact just fur. Please understand and keep in mind this isn't my Mini (she is my parents) and I don't fool with her much outside of keeping her hooves clipped, which in the pictures she got a tick long. While there is no worthy excuse, I no longer live at home and keep as tight a schedule as I did when I was home. I don't want to be judged for this last paragraph, so please grant me that courtesy
default_sad.png
. I wasn't responsible for the breeding and we had no reason but to assume she wasn't pregnant.

We had an ultrasound done that just confirmed what we already knew (felt the munchkin kicking).

I've included a couple of pictures and the previous owner stated she was due mid-June, but that was as specific as it got. I've been following this website: http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/foaling.htmand took a squeeze of the milk today that resulted in this:

20150610_154115.jpg

We guessed no earlier than 311 days by "comparing" the pictures on the website above, which unless she foals earlier... The timeline doesn't quite match up, but I know this isn't a "one size fits all." The milk, udder, and vulva pictures are from today.

20150610_154144.jpg

20150610_154040.jpg

My big concern is we spoke to the original owner who was also her breeder, not who we purchased Misty from, and she told us she had been a red bag mare on her maiden year. Misty has been turned out on pasture that no doubt has fescue (it is Virginia :/) and when we recognized she was pregnant, we immediately pulled her off the pasture. She's been stalled since then and is being given orchard grass.

Any light to be shed? I guess I'm not looking for anything specific, just uneasy at this whole ordeal. We were happy to find she was supposedly deemed barren. We've got our foal kit ready to go and in the process of surveillance. Fortunately she's not far from the house which allows us to watch her closely.

WELCOME!! Can you take a couple of pictures for us? One standing at her rear looking forward down her sides towards her head, and right down at her level -- squat down. Then a full side picture right down at her level.

It's good you took her off the fescue, but is there somewhere she can go out and get some exercise without eating the fescue. If not, take her on some walks, as exercise is important for these pregnant mares, as they prepare for some "hard exercise" in delivering their baby.

Looks like she's got some elongation time ahead of her, and since on fescue, it's hard to judge the udder, although with this picture to start, we'll be able to watch for more changes.

Again, "pretty girl" from what we can see! LOL

WELCOME!! Can you take a couple of pictures for us? One standing at her rear looking forward down her sides towards her head, and right down at her level -- squat down. Then a full side picture right down at her level.

It's good you took her off the fescue, but is there somewhere she can go out and get some exercise without eating the fescue. If not, take her on some walks, as exercise is important for these pregnant mares, as they prepare for some "hard exercise" in delivering their baby.

Looks like she's got some elongation time ahead of her, and since on fescue, it's hard to judge the udder, although with this picture to start, we'll be able to watch for more changes.

Again, "pretty girl" from what we can see! LOL
Thank you for the quick response
default_smile.png
I forgot to include the one side shot I did get of her. I will swing my this afternoon and get the specific pictures asked for and update the thread again
default_smile.png

We do take her out on walks a couple of times a day. We have a dry lot she could go on for a couple of hours in the day.

Sierra giving her some much needed "scratches"
default_smile.png
Misty is a really great mare and we want to do right by her
default_smile.png

20150610_155708.jpg

Here are some pictures from today
default_smile.png
Hope they are useful! She is on the underweight side for totting a munchkin
default_sad.png
She is currently offered free choice hay and a proper amount of grain. We don't typically grain our mini's and they get free choice of a roundbale through the winter.

tn_DSC_0568.jpg

tn_DSC_0570.jpg

tn_DSC_0574.jpg

tn_DSC_0575.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that little one is laying so nice and wide. She's doing just fine. Since you do have a dry lot, you might try placing her hay ration in different places around the dry lot, which will encourage her to do some exercise.

You might want to put her on some added alfalfa -- hay, cubes or pellets. It's a tummy soother, and will give her some extra protein which will help during this last trimester in building strong bones and muscles.

As to the grain, you should have her on a good Mare/Foal feed now, which has increased protein, I always used Omolene 300 and gave a full ration. For those mares that needed a little extra, I added alfalfa pellets to their feed ration, and I always fed straight Alfalfa hay.

She's looking good!! And thanks for getting those pictures so quickly. She is a really pretty girl!!

Thank you so much for the quick response and kind words! I'm very nervous, but can't deny the underlying excitement.

I will happily continue to share pictures and posts on her progress
default_smile.png

Thank you for the suggestions, I will be sure to follow them!

Very pretty and welcome
default_smile.png
. Omoline 300 is awesome stuff. I use it as well. When I open a new bag I wanna take a taste since it smells soooooo good. ( just a warning it doesn't taste as good as it smells like).

It's just like DMSO. Luvvvvv the smell but I would not want it. Vets look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I like it. If I'm in a clinic, I can sniff out the horse that was given it. Great sense of smell
default_smile.png

Shes gonna explode! lol she is absolutely gorgeous though, her colour is fab.

Is she getting soem good protein food? I don't want to seem critical but shes on the leaner side to me. I'm not an expert so forgive me if im way off the mark!

You aren't off the mark at all, so apologies needed
default_smile.png
She is too lean to be toting a tot, trying our best to up her intake and increase her weight and get her on the right track
default_smile.png

She is a cutie, thank you for the compliment!

I didn't think she could get any wider from the last lot of pics you posted
default_smile.png

How has she been ? I don't think you will be waiting much longer
default_smile.png

Her udder looks to be filling nicely
default_smile.png

Oh my!!!! Doesn't look like you'll have long to wait. That baby is forward of center but laying very WIDE. Look for some rolling to happen as she gets this little one lined up. Udders looks good, and it's getting very exciting!

If you have her on a mare/foal feed, you can increase her intake. Just make sure she can chew constantly, especially over night. You can also add some calf manna which will help add some calories. She's so pretty and looking so good!!!

Lets hope so!!
default_smile.png

She's in good spirits, personable and affectionate. Seems unphased by her ready-to-bust belly! I'm working to move her to where I board my horses to keep a closer eye on her as the barn owner lives on site. She's still producing amber liquid from her teats. It'll run down your palm, but if you turn your hand down it won't drip off, so still pretty tacky. Still maintaining a great appetite
default_smile.png

Thank you so much for the compliments on her! Her color was what caught my Mom's attention and made her pursue her. She's a sweet girl.

So, now it becomes... Colt or filly? ;)

Hmmm well some people swear they can tell my the top of the tail head , whether it is fizzy or the hair is flat. I think you should be able to find that info on the nail test thread at the top of this section of the forum.

Wishing you a healthy arrival
default_smile.png

Just for a guess, Ill say filly
default_smile.png

Up until this year the colts were always moving in mamas stomach, the fillies were more quiet. This year the wild one was a colt. But the other two mares that were carrying colts had limited movement. The filly was the quiet one.

Latest posts

Back