Pregnant, or fat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the bad quality, I took pictures off my other phones screen, because for some reason my other phone can't post pictures on here. What is that stuff at the tip of her nipples? Could they possibly be infected? She's very touchy this morning. I hate seeing her like this. I just want to help her
default_sad.png

Since it looks white that is a "plug" that keeps anything from getting up in the mammary glands. It's nothing to worry about. As for her discomfort with having her flank/stomach touched, you'll just have to keep an eye on her and wait and see. Don't know what else you can do. She shouldn't still be touchy there from her colic episode a week ago.

Since it looks white that is a "plug" that keeps anything from getting up in the mammary glands. It's nothing to worry about. As for her discomfort with having her flank/stomach touched, you'll just have to keep an eye on her and wait and see. Don't know what else you can do. She shouldn't still be touchy there from her colic episode a week ago.
The color is more of a yellowish white. She wasnt even that touchy the day after she coliced, just a little bit, but its gotten way worse, and is still getting worse, it seems.

With the changes that she was showing a few days ago in the different posts, and the edema, and now this.....I am personally leaning towards your vet was wrong!

With the changes that she was showing a few days ago in the different posts, and the edema, and now this.....I am personally leaning towards your vet was wrong!
Really? Yeah, I kind of think so too.. my mom does a little too. If she is pregnant, how many more weeks do you think until she foals? I wish we could have a more definite answer on this. We are going on Sunday morning to a family reunion in Missouri- 11 hours away from home! That makes me a little uneasy. We do have other arrangements if she is pregnant, but it will cost money, and we would rather not spend that much if we aren't sure if she is pregnant. That is why we took her to the vet yesterday- for a definite answer. If she was pregnant, or not, and if not, what was wrong? The vet said she doesnt think she was pregnant, but there was a slight chance. She said she also wasn't sure what was wrong with her if she wasn't pregnant. I am kind of upset with the vet, because she can't figure out what is wrong with her. Pregnant or not, she seems to be getting more touchy and such... and I just want to help.

Remember, the size of the bag PRIOR to foaling really isn't anything. Some of these ladies fill at foaling, so don't let that confuse the issue!

Okay, so I just got back home last night. Fed her in the morning and took her out to look at her. She has gotten noticably fatter. My dad was taking care of her, so I dont know if he fed her too much hay, or not, but she did not overeat grain. She measures 49 1/2 inches around her stomach where the saddle goes, and 55 1/2" around her stomachs biggest point. She lost a few inches around where the saddle goes, but she gained more inches around her biggest point, which is near the middle/back of her stomach. I thought she wouldn't be as touchy, but she still is, pinning her ears and kicking when I touch her lower stomach/udders. Will post pictures tonight hopefully.

Here are the pictures. Forgot to say, she has been on a pro biotic supplement (smartdigest) for the past week and a half.

It may just be me, but it looks like she has some filling in bag area. If you can feel real quick (don't get kicked or bit), check and see if the puffyness is hard or soft. When our maidens started getting a bag, the puffyness was hard.

It may just be me, but it looks like she has some filling in bag area. If you can feel real quick (don't get kicked or bit), check and see if the puffyness is hard or soft. When our maidens started getting a bag, the puffyness was hard.
It is 11pm here. but I will feel it tomorrow morning. Thanks

Okay, couldn't really feel it for a long time (she was super extra touchy today), but I did feel it. It felt puffy for sure, but it felt mostly soft. A little firm. Maybe if she calms down more later, I will try to get a better feel. Her udders do feel more full from the puffiness than it used to be without the puffiness.

Latest posts

Back