Pregnant, or fat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today when I went out to feed her, I touched her belly again, just to see how she was feeling, hoping that she wasnt as touchy. But, no, of course, she's even MORE touchy. Now she'll pin her ears, squeal, bite you, or pin her ears and look at her stomach, if I touch ANY of her lower stomach and anywhere near her udders. Yesterday it was just her lower belly near the flanks, and her udders. She measured 50 1/2 yesterday, and now she is at 51. I have still been exercising her, she went to a show on Saturday and drove, she got the day off Sunday, but then I lunged her and did some showmanship last night. She has also driven on Thursday, and did some showmanship on Friday. Plus, she is on dry lot, now.

I felt like yesterday she was getting better about her stomach, and that she was feeling much better, because she wasnt doing as much about the stomach as she was about her udder area. But now, she is supet touchy about her stomach.

Okay.. got some interesting pics of her udder today.. this might actually be the breaking point where you guys can tell if she is pregnant or not.. will post them soon.

That's edema. That usually happens when they are towards the end of there pregnancy. The edema will move back and her actual bag will fill. Some mares that are a tad overweight can get the edema also. I don't think that's her case, since she doesn't look overweight in the pictures.

You may want to check with the previous owners and see how long she was with the stallion. She may have been bred later. We had a mare that we saw bred last year that calculated out her foaling by the end of Feb. She ended up not foaling until the end of March. She had come back in heat and the stallion rebred her. We never saw her covered that last time. We know the foal wasn't over cooked, so the foal was not from the breeding we saw. Our mare and stallion are right by our house, so can hear anything going on.

Also the last two pictures you took of her mammary area is different. The first couple pictures showed her nipples touching each other. The last picture shows them not touching. If may be how she was standing. Also, a maiden mare usually has no loose skin in the bag area. Her nipples would be sucked up tight to her belly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the last two pictures you took of her mammary area is different. The first couple pictures showed her nipples touching each other. The last picture shows them not touching. If may be how she was standing. Also, a maiden mare usually has no loose skin in the bag area. Her nipples would be sucked up tight to her belly.
I think it might have just been the way she was standing, but I don't know, I'll look again tonight. Do you mean her nipple would be like that if she was or wasn't pregnant?

These are her tonight. She must have been standing differently in the photos because her nipples are touching again. She measures 50 1/2 where the saddle goes (two fingers behind the withers) but 54 1/2 at her biggest/pokiest spot.

If you compare your post #1, post #14, post #18 and your post just above, I would say it looks like there are some changes going on. Her nipples may be touching, but the shape has changed, and they are no longer "squashed" up there.

This is looking better each day. And definitely, it appears she has some early edema, which is just perfect.

Here's a picture of two of our mares udders. The first one is a four year old that has never had a foal. You can't see her nipples from behind. The second picture is a six year old mare. She had her first foal two years ago. Her foal this year didn't survive a difficult birth. You can see her nipples from behind.

CAM01148.jpg

CAM01144.jpg

There's also another way but your mare may eat you. While she is eatting, put your arms around her belly closer to her flanks. Babies have a tendency of moving/kicking when mom is eating. Your hands should be flat right in front of her nipples/bag area. Try not to be kicked or bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also another way but your mare may eat you. While she is eatting, put your arms around her belly closer to her flanks. Babies have a tendency of moving/kicking when mom is eating. Your hands should be flat right in front of her nipples/bag area. Try not to be kicked or bit.
I tried that, but instead of a baby kick, I got an angry angel kick lol! I can try again later, what should it feel like if there is a baby moving around?

I agree I can see changes too. Her nipples are no longer tucked up and facing each other.
default_smile.png

I took her to the vet again today, and she said she didnt think she is pregnant. I guess I will just have to switch her feed, and work her harder.

Don't be surprised if she produces a little one for you. I'm sure there are many of us here who have been told by our vets that "the mare isn't pregnant".....just to have a lovely foal come to the ground.

Not saying it's so in this case, but be prepared....vet's can be wrong, especially in these little ones!

Don't be surprised if she produces a little one for you. I'm sure there are many of us here who have been told by our vets that "the mare isn't pregnant".....just to have a lovely foal come to the ground.

Not saying it's so in this case, but be prepared....vet's can be wrong, especially in these little ones!
I know, I had a friend who had a vet out and they said her mini wasnt pregnant, then a week later, she foaled! Its crazy how sneaky this little minis can be, haha. I am continuing to keep a close eye on her, she seemed really touchy tonight, about her whole stomach and udders. I gave her some banamine tonight because I thought she was having bad stomach pains but it has been about two hours since I gave it, and she is still very touchy about her stomach.

Back