Unknown dates: please help!! (Pics attached)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very sorry to read this.

Let's us all learn from this sad occurrence, that these ladies need our help as they near delivery, even when it's not a dystocia, sometimes the placenta is tough, and baby can't break through on his/her own.

We've unfortunately all had this happen, and I lost my "heart" filly this way once, deciding that momma wasn't pregnant after going back and forth for literally 6-8 weeks. On the DAY I decided momma wasn't pregnant, I put her in pasture, and came home from work to find this.....which from the looks she had early in the morning after I left for work, and didn't have anyone staying with her.

Granda X KC.JPG

Which is why I never quite give up on these mares that don't look pregnant. So, be comforted, we have all suffered through this sadness, and it makes us more attentive in the future, which only benefits your upcoming future foals.

Last edited:
So sorry to read this. If there is one thing that we can all learn from this is that its imperative that we are there during delivery.

Know that you have our support and best wishes during this time, Take care
default_smile.png

So sorry. Yes, It has happened to everyone I know that breeds. These darn mares that like to be sneaky. The #1 reason I will have cameras and alarms next foaling season.

Thank you all for your kind words. I have beat myself up over this. I have came to the conclusion that is NO way I could have physically been there 24/7. I also am a mom of 2 very active girls, a full-time nurse, and a wife. While I feel I did my best I can't help but to take a offense to some of the comments.

We bought Star not knowing she was PG...I did not ask for this but feel I did the best I could. As mentioned above...I hope this serves as a 'lesson' that these mares will deliver when they want to--and preferably when they are alone. If you are lucky enough not to work, or do not have a family, etc...you may be able to be there. I tried...and deep down I know I did my best and I am at peace with that.

Once again, thank you all for the support over the last month...tonight will be the first full nights sleep that I have had. I don't know what 'lesson' that you can learn from my experience it truly was devastating and I hope no one ever had to go through this--especially that my two daughters found the dead little filly (as they checked her before school as well). In no way was Star ever left more than a couple hours without a check nor did she act suspicious when I checked her at 2AM. It is all very sad.

Please rest well, and know you did the best you could, and no one can ask more of you than that. We are all feeling your sorrow, but be at peace. I hope you were able to help your girls through it. It can be very upsetting, but sometimes sad things happen. As long as momma is fine, there are always other years. I grew up on a farm, and while sometimes the lessons are hard, I believe they prepared me for many things that have happened to me in my life.

Sending you lots of {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

~~Diane

I'm so very sorry to read of your loss, but as has been said, dont beat yourself up over it. You certainly did your very best for your little mare what with your busy life and a young family, plus the fact that you didn't breed the mare in the first place.

Sending ((((HUGS)))) to you and your daughters.

I'm very sorry. I havent been on the forum in a couple days, and missed this entirely. You did everything that was humanly possible, and being humans is all we really are.

I am so sorry! When we lost lalas foal I too felt so guilty like I could have done something different. Trust me u did everything you could! So sorry

I am late on this but I am so sorry to hear the sad news. I know your whole family had to be heart broken. I hope you all are doing better.

Latest posts

Back