Unknown dates: please help!! (Pics attached)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

We purchased 'Star' a couple of month ago. Previous owner said she thought she may have been bred but had a negative test in July. We noticed some changes about 3 weeks ago. According to the previous owner she thought she conceived May 18th which would put her at 343 days. Does this seem accurate when looking at the pics? Thank you VERY much!

image.jpg

Get a broadside picture and a picture from directly behind her at her level. Helps us determine where the baby is sitting. From her bag she looks close. Nipples just need to point down. Depending on if she has had a foal before, she could how many days you said and that much progress. I've had two maiden mares go to 355 and 350 days before. Diane from Castle Rock has had a mare that foaled many times at 365 days.

Thank you VERY much!! I was told she foaled about 3 years ago. Here are a couple more pics of her rear and broad view:)

I appreciate the help!

Tracie

image.jpg

image.jpg

The picture from behind is a little off but I can't see the foal sticking out on both sides. That's what you call slab-sided, meaning the foal is lining up to be delivered. Doesn't mean she will foal tonight. The side view needs to be more broad side, so can see where the baby is laying from the underside of her belly. If its v'd, that is another sign that foaling is close. Can you get any fluid from her bag? If not, that's okay. If the fluid is a off white color and sticky, do not leave her unattended. Foaling is close. I would definitely keep a very close eye on her. I don't think you have long to wait. Other, more experienced Miniature breeders will answer sometime today. Diane from Castle Rock is one of the best. She should be checking in this afternoon/evening. Safe foaling.

Very cute mare. Welcome to the forum!!! Diane as already stated can give you bundles of information
default_smile.png

Welcome to the forum
default_smile.png

What a lovely mare you have. I also agree that she is moving closer. how is her tail resistance ? Is she able to clamp down easily or are you able to move it freely? She certainly looks to be relaxing regarding her croup muscles.

Did you notice her bagging up ect when you noticed the changes starting to happen ?

Everyone is really nice here and happy to answer ANY questions , even if you think your question may be silly , ask away everyones willing to help as much as they can to help you get this little foal safely on the ground.

Glad you have joined us and welcome again
default_smile.png

Thank you! Actually...today I lifted her tail for a pic and it lifted freely--different than any other time. I have attached a pic that shows her udder development from when I first noticed it.

I am a labor and delivery nurse so this is all very exciting to me!! I have delivered plenty of babies but NEVER a foal:). Hopefully, all goes well for her. I have already learned so much from this group!!

So...foal within a couple days??!!

image.jpg

Not sure if there will be an arrival in the next couple of days, BUT I will say I don't think you have very long to wait. Her udder looks to have gone down in the bottom two pictures from the 22nd -26th . but that really means nothing
default_smile.png
Some days it will seem a lot fuller than others and then just when you thought "hey we are getting somewhere" , down it goes.................... Only she will know when the time is right. Watch for changes in behaviour and also inside her Vulva, some mares but not all will change colour within the inside from a pale pink to a much darker red colour. By her tail head relaxing Id say she is progressing perfectly.
default_thumbup.gif

Pretty girl!! Try to get us a couple of pictures as described above: 1 standing/squatting behind her looking forward so we can see how baby is laying in there....right down at her level. The second squatting down at her level and a full side shot. This will let us see how baby is lining up in there.

She is certainly progressing from what I can see in the pictures. What are you feeding her? I think she could use some mare/foal feed to help fill out those hips and keep her in good condition while she's nurses this little one. The extra protein and calories will help strengthen baby and momma for the hard work ahead. I'd also add some type of alfalfa to her diet -- hay or pellets or cubes. This extra boost of protein helps baby build some strong bones and muscles, and is an excellent tummy soother too.

Can't wait to see some more pictures. She's a pretty girl, and she's progressing nicely. A few more pictures, and I should be able to tell you more.

Last edited:
It is very exciting!! We bought both mom and dad. Meet Simba or (Fabio) as I like to call him?.

He is a gorgeous and he knows it!! I just love him. He has the best personality!! Previous owners daughter did many shows with him....he has several blue ribbons in the barn:). My daughters are just 4 & 6 but I would love to get him back in the ring or atleast to fairs:)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Tracie. I posted on your main forum thread before coming here - I see you are already here! Welcome to the Nutty Nursery. You have a pretty little mare and I think she is very close to producing her baby particularly as she has foaled before. Now is the time to be sitting up right with her all night as assistance at foaling can be needed within minutes of the onset of labour (but hopefully not!), no whizzing off to the loo or to make a quick cuppa! Hopefully you will only have a few days/nights to be sleep deprived - unlike a lot of folks who have many mares to sit up with over the foaling season - but there is nothing quite like being there to welcome a new little life into the world (as you must know with your job).

Good luck - I'm looking forward to some new baby pictures before very long.
default_yes.gif

Fabio is a beauty - name fits to me!!

I forgot to welcome you to this forum, too, so WELCOME. This is always an exciting time...

Wow!! You guys are great!' I added the mare/foal feed and she is loving it!! I feel like we have really progressed in the last couple of days. We are at day 345--I have attached today's' pic and one from 3 days ago for comparison:).

I would love to hear everyone's opinion on when they think she will deliver!!

Thank you!!

Tracie?

image.jpg

image.jpg

She looks great Tracie
default_smile.png
Her udder has filled some more. I agree with Anna in saying she doesn't have long and as Anna said, it could all happen with in the time of making a cuppa
default_smile.png

Glad she is enjoying the mare/ foal feed. Keep an eye of the colour inside her Vulva, it may change from a pale pink colour to more of a dark red.

Can you get us a full side shot so we can see how baby is positioned, please. It doesn't look like there is long to wait!

Welcome to the forum!! This is the best place to learn and get excellent advice! Your minis are very cute! And I would die for hair like your Fabio! Lol looks like your girl is getting very close! Do you know if she has she foaled before?

Got a question for ya! You probably are not leaving her tail wrapped with vet wrap all the time.. Only for pictures? I'm sure that's the case! But I just wanted to ask so I wouldn't worry ...
default_smile.png
the vet I worked for told me never to leave their tails wrapped for more than 2 days at the most. It's best to wait to wrap when they go in to labor. That's my 2 cents and given only in love =D someone can correct me if I'm wrong!!

Can't wait to see if baby comes with it's daddy's gorgeous hair!!!

Hi there!

I have been wrapping her tail at night and removing it during the day. I tried to get a better side pic...I also checked her vulva and it is a light/medium pink in color. Hope this pic helps!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back