Maiden mare at 331 days in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you run tests on your mare? Is there a reason you are just selling (or trading) her?

You could also try breeding her to a different stallion.

We are not breeders. We bought the 2 mares hoping for a foal. The only reason we are selling or trading is just that we do not plan to breed.

I'm a little confused, so might sound harsh, but if you aren't breeders and don't plan to breed, why do you need to sell or trade the mare? Mares can drive, be pets, be pasture ornaments or whatever, they aren't just for breeding.

Long days and lack of sleep make for misunderstandings. my sleep deprived mind read it as well she lost her baby (wasn't pregnant) so let's sell her.

Of course horses are bought and sold (rarely around here, I seem to be better at collecting them, just ask my husband), but fuzzy minds just don't think clearly. I obviously shouldn't try to type when I'm tired and totally sunburnt and windburned, I think my brain is fried too (and not just my face, neck and arms). And I have one more day of hours in the sun getting everything else but my work done. [i think I'm ready to scoop poop over what I've been doing the last 3 days, going on 4 tomorrow.]

Sorry, I never intended for my response to be offensive.

Hmmm... so YES, as a breeder, I have made the decision many times to sell a mare that wasn't producing for us. Both when we were breeding to outside stallions and while owning our own. I also, a few times, made the decision to sell a horse that didn't quite work out for us temperment wise. I was in a situation for a long time where our children were directly involved w/ the ponies/horses we owned and if one would purposely attack - it was sold. I always told folks up front why said horse/pony was for sale. Other times, we worked w/ trainers that could do things that I couldn't (I often purchased from not so good situations and trained horse and resold about a year later - did all of my own training and trained for outside owners as well - but never quite went "mainstream" as a full time pro trainer). I am now in a situation where dealing with horses that are " way over-reactive" isn't the best situation for me due to work schedules, age/condition & working alone; so have sold on those mares (especially the one that passed on her personality to two foals sired by two different stallions).

Your response just caught me a little "flat footed" and I thought I was offering some other ideas...

I'm not sure where Copper Canyon, TX is. TX IS a big state - I've driven thru it many times, my dad lives in Temple (& hubbies brother & family used to live in El Paso) and besides visiting, I have taken ponies there for delivery to buyers, have purchased/picked up myself and have gone to one show - that had many more minis than it did shetlands (I have registered shetlands - the ones that are double registered have all grown over the mini limits to be shown except for one).

Diane - can we post names/breeders on this section of the forum? There are 7 farms listed on this forum w/ stallions - http://www.lilbeginnings.com/breeders/- 6 of those list stallions and some of those may be available at stud for outside mares... I know of several others that also have stallions - I don't know if they stand them for outside breeding, but they may have other contacts...

I believe a little bit of shock and sadness made me make some knee jerk type reactions. We are not sure what we are going to do. We are looking into breeding her. We have had so much loss this past year that midge with false pregnancy was just shocking for us. I really want to thank everyone for the support, we are heart broken.

The link is just perfect. Just choose your state and get in touch with the farms. Good thought to do!

So sorry to read this , What ever you decide to do , I hope you stick around. Any decision regarding horses is not an easy one. I was very much in the same position as you last year so I know exactly how you are feeling
default_smile.png

Back