Bubble's pregnancy tread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She looks great
default_smile.png

thanks ikblazin , i feel a large and hard bump in the middle under her belly , at this time does anybody knows the foal's position ? i was wondering wich body part i was feeling lol

Could be the butt. I would NOT take your eyes off her. If it is the but then baby is lining up, getting into super man position. Very exciting

you think ? really ! Omg Ikblazin i guess i will stay up tonight ! i am watching her and she just laid down at the opposite side of the stall , she never sleep there , she also scratched her head all day on everything including me . i am soo excited/nervous right now
default_ohnoes.jpg

Lol. Iv only foaled out four mares myself, so don't be anoid with me if she doesn't foal. But it sounds like she is setting up shop. Rubbing could mean she's uncomfortable. Also if you look in her vulva, it will be bright red and hivey looking. It it?

I was watching a mare that looks just like her last week. Her udder was exactly the same. Thought she would foal right away. I waited three nights and nothing. Then stayed outside for another mare, delivered that ones foal, and went home. Needless to say in the morning there was another baby out there. And it wasn't the one I delivered lol. They can be tricky

* and the mares nipples never pointed down

I agree with Rebecca , time to start "watch" , don't think you have long to wait .
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
so , no foal last night , i looked inside her vulva yesterday and it wasnt scarlet red yet, i would not wait to see it since i was looking for that sign last year with an other broodmare and i missed it , checked at 11pm- 1am still light pink ,and no sign of imminent foaling ,woke up at 2:15 and and she already had foaled about 30 sec before the foal was half out of the bag.. i dont wait for the nipples to point completely down either , i look at behavior change . if only i could test some milk !! ok time to go to work , i wish i could put the camera on marestare but it seem like i have an ''non-routable'' ip adress , been working on it for many days and it only work at home
default_frusty.gif

She's looking close. I believe baby will shift a bit more "forward of center" when viewing her sideways, but at this point everything can change very quickly. So you have reached the point of watching with an eagle eye... and some sleepiness nights... while she chooses the time!!!!

i don'T like the fact that she has no milk at all , impossible to get something from her udder .. castlerockminiature , i am confused about her belly , when i touch under her belly there is a large and hard bump about 6-7 inch from her front legs , i should shave her to show you but if its the foal butt well it is almost align is it ? Confusing ... i work today but i have 2 days off after , hope she will foal while i'm off work. I will start today to stay up at night and hope she aint going to foal in 3 weeks loll

I don't use test strips for milk. I just don't sticky like honey and color. Has worked well. But like I said iv only foaled four personally. First one a maiden. Third night she foaled,squirting milk all over. The rest were pros. I did however assist a foaling over the phone. But that's a long and very weird story. Sorry no baby
default_sad.png
. Also a lot of mares will not milk for people, so iv been told.

still no baby tonight , mare restless , keeps scratching her head everywhere , no milk , ikblazin i've used the milk test (pool strips) last year and i liked it , i saw ph go down from 8 to 6.2 and calcium go up to 400 then she foaled , the milk was cloudy white but i has been this color for a couple of days , when i saw calcium go up i knew it was time , i don't think it is 100% reliable but i would love to test her just to see if she plays with me or if she is seriously going to foal soon lol

i never tought that they could ''hold'' their milk ? is it possible ? i don't know

Yup. Maybe try a warm compress, then milk her. It will resemble a warm baby mouth. Massage the udder a little. She looks as though you should be able to get something out.

I might try the strips. If mine will give me milk. I only had trouble on one mare and it was not mine. So may have been personal lol

I like the pH strips as well, and had very good luck using them. But then on this board, we had a mare drop from 8.2 to foaling in one day, which was thoroughly "outside" the norm! So we've learned to watch for a variety of changes, and not leave these precious moms alone when they are close!

There is no need to milk a mare before foaling. Anna never milks or messes with the udder at all. She'll have milk when the time is right, and if you're concerned, you can notify your vet you may have a mare with no udder that might require a shot after foaling.

Last edited:
i am for sure going to make an emergency call to my vet for an oxytocin shot and plasma if she foals witout any milk , her udder is big , it is almost impossible that she wont let go milk after foaling but we never know ! ikblazin , maybe you sould give them a try , you only need a tiny tiny drop but as catlerockminiature said it is better to not mess with the udder at all , even tho i know mares having milk running down their legs hours before foaling i still think a drop over here and over there won't do harm ? i may be wrong too

you are right castlerockminiature , we always have to watch all the signs , for the milk test strip they say you have to test morning an evening because you can have a big drop in the ph very fast , my other mare dropped to the minimum 6.2 but stayed there for a week before i saw calcium go up right before she foaled

i am going out right now to see if ikblazing 's trick will work , warm towel here i come loll

Lol. I use that technique on mares that are not letting down for foals. There bag gets rock hard and not going anywhere. Usually only seen it happen when the baby doesn't work hard enough, so the bag just gets stiffer and stiffer. Or at least that seems to be the cause from my observations.

Wishing you and the warm towel luck lol :p

no luck with the warm towel but she really enjoyed it and was playing in my hair loll i will let nature do the rest and keep watching the cam
default_smile.png

quiet night tonight , she spent most of the night lying flat sleeping , no change in belly or udder , still no milk this morning , inside vulva a bit darker but not much .. it is going to be very cold next 2 days here so i hope she'll wait by the end of the week at least

Latest posts

Back