Cocoa's active foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still looks the same. Maybe some day I will be able to post pics of the little baby. And what can I do for her as she has lice. Scratching up a storm. I shaved her. Bathed her and put her in the sun. What can I put on her since she is pregnant???

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have she been given ivermectin? It'll get lice, if she has the sucking variety (there are two kinds sucking and biting).

You'll have to ask your vet which topicals might be safe for pregnant mares. Let me check the insecticidal shampoo I have and see if it says anything... Probably not, active ingredient is pyrethrins and it says consult with vet before use on pregnant animals.

Definitely worm with Ivermectin and check with your vet for topical safe substances.

Have you clipped her, so they have no where to hide (except under her mane); it would likely help to get rid of them. As long as it's warm enough for you to clip her.

That's different. Our vets say that Ivermectin is fine during the pregnancy. I use it at least 2x during a pregnancy and then the day she foals.

I used Pro-Zap Insectrin "dust". It has Permethrin as the main product and comes in a shaker can. I did treat w/ 2nd treatment - but it seemed to work w/ just one... All 14 ponies are much happier now - the most heavily infested ones are the happiest and no more rubbing or itching and bald spots. The one mare was in bad shape causing serious sores - 1 treatment offered her relief.

Your girl is looking good and coming along. Mine are due around the 16th of June and are just starting to develop udders. Koalah is her usual large (very largeand getting larger) self (she stays looking pregnant even when she's not...). Tory seems smaller w/ this foal - but the stallion she is bred to is smaller than the last two stallions, so that may be why... OR maybe she's carrying a filly??? Would be awesome!

Is your mare that you are talking about - Cocoa?

I am very surprised by the vet's reply to Ivermectin. But, to each his own. But Ivermectin is safe for mares during pregnancy (used it consistently here for many years on all the pregnant mares), and takes care of lice with a retreatment in 2 weeks. But, if you're happy with your vet, that's fine. Just do what they advise so as not to aggravate any future need you might have for needing their assistance.

I'm seeing a different vet tomorrow and will get her opinion. And yes paintponylvr it is cocoa that's due. This is my first time with her. I will use the ivermectin if you all do. She needs something. Thanks.

Ok so the 2nd vet says no ivermectin and also said it won't work on lice. Is there a diff in area or what's up with this? It would be much easier to give them baths. Any thoughts?

That's so strange. Ivermectin was the first thing my equine vet said to use on the horses for lice. She also advised I use a powder for reaching deep down into their manes. But how strange. One says it works, another says it doesn't.

I hope Dr. Taylor can add something. I'd love to know and have his opinion.

oooooooooo, she's looking good!! Baby still laying a bit sideways, but she's looking so healthy and beautiful!!

Last edited:
Looks like mom did a few final rolls and put on all the final touches to show us this perfect SPOTTED BABY!!!! JUST BEAUTIFUL ! Congratulations.

Last edited:
Congrats!!!! Very nice blanket
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back