Cocoa's active foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Hills Miniatures

Reaction score
I'm really excited this spring. We are having our first mini foaled here. This dear momma will stand in her stall like she is afraid to move then suddenly you will see her jerk all over from the active foal inside. I've never seen a foal so active as this one. Hope it comes early. 4 more weeks.

image.jpg

Welcome to our Nutty Nursery!!! We are excited that you've come to share your beautiful lady with us, and let us share in this miracle of birth.

We're here to answer any questions you may have as you near foaling time. No question is to be considered unimportant and we're here to answer anything you have questions about even if it seems to 'simple' to ask. We're here to share in your concerns and get this little one safely to the ground!

Could you take a couple of specific pictures for us please? Stand behind her, squat down at her level and take a picture looking forward toward her head. This will help us see how baby is riding inside and as she moves towards delivery, we can use this first picture as a gauge to see when baby starts lining up for delivery. Then a full side shot, again squatting down at her level. This let's us 'see' how she is carrying and we'll be using this picture to see baby repositioning and moving in the uterus as momma moves towards delivery.

We're happy you're here!! There are some good articles pinned at the top of our forum that we hope you will take advantage of, and again.....WELCOME!!

That is exactly how my first born mini colt was. He was racing laps in his poor mamas tummy! And let me tell you he came out wild as a March hare!!! He was born and stood up almost immediately and didn't slow down a bit! Lol This forum helped me tons when foaling out my little guy so be sure and stick around!! We want to see what she has hiding in there! What color is daddy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pics of her today. And also one of daddy. She is due May 12th. She looks ready to pop. Can they go a month early? She has no udder fill yet tho

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

cute! cant wait to see this cross, hope you get some spots:)

Oh, SPOTS!!!! I love SPOTS!!!!

Be assured, she's not ready to pop just yet. Baby is still riding sideways, which is just perfect for a mare a month out. She looks good and I love daddy! This should be a beautiful title one.

Just messaged the lady who had her last time. Was told she showed little sign of milk and went over due. She had it during the night and alone. Did very well.

This could get interesting yet

Very exciting cross looks like there will be lots and lots of SPOTS!!!
default_smile.png

Welcome back country Hills Miniatures.

Very happy to hear you will be having a foal this year
default_smile.png

looking forward to watching her as she progresses.
default_smile.png

So today I gave my mini a haircut. First time for me. She was an angel about it. And no it's not a show clip. Just a "get rid of hair clip". I have added new pics so we have a better idea when she is ready to foal. You can also see some of her dapple color now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

How pretty she is, and baby is poking out both sides, just as expected!! These are great pictures to "start" the watch!

Any chance their is fescue in your hay? An endophyte that infects fescue can cause issues with pregnant mares; it's recommended to pull them off any fescue 60-90 days before foaling, and use any other type of hay.

Ask where you buy your hay. You might be able to have it identified by the County Extension Agent, if you have one. I don't know if there is a test available to find out. At least talk to you vet, and inquire if fescue is an issue where you live. [My former vet, he moved, told me fescue (at least the variety most commonly infected) doesn't grow around here, so it shouldn't be an issue.]

Ask your vet about fescue in the area, but don't worry as mares can deliver with little or no udder, and be full within hours of foaling. Or you're concerned, you can let your vet know you may need momma to be given a shot if she's dry after delivery, but usually all is well.

With baby riding so wide, she has time to build that udder in the next few weeks, so I believe all will be well.

Latest posts

Back