maiden mare, unknown due date

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh by the way, she never showed me any signs that she was ready. Last night at last check she was still tight everywhere, still a light pink color,her bag was still same as last pictures, baby was still sideways and she was acting perfectly normal. I thought I still had about two weeks. Lol

Congratulations on the arrival of a gorgeous little filly
default_smile.png

Oh by the way, she never showed me any signs that she was ready. Last night at last check she was still tight everywhere, still a light pink color,her bag was still same as last pictures, baby was still sideways and she was acting perfectly normal. I thought I still had about two weeks. Lol
Interesting. Now I feel like I need to keep a closer eye on mine. Well I'm off to go Check on them now
default_smile.png
..lol I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a new baby though.

Nice filly - congrats!! Is she a minimal Tobiano (looks like white in her tail?)? Might just be part of her foal coloring - I have had several Arab bays and know that one was born w/ lighter coloring in her tail on both sides that grew in later as solid black (not a rabicano or a sabino).

Montana is worth the visit, but I'm partial and I miss that state (deep snow, bitter cold and all). I spent 5 months in Wolf Point and 2 years between Cut Bank and Shelby (short but very sweet!). Liked going thru Glacier National Park! My sister lived in MT for years and attended school in Missoula. Mom still lives about 9 miles out of Shelby and makes the 96 mile one way drive to Great Falls for major shopping/Dr visits on the Air Force base.

I've never been on the west coast nor up in the New England states (at all)... A part of me would love to do a run up the Eastern Seaboard, though I'm not a "sea person" either. Mostly in or thru the mid-western states & lower southern states. Loved living between Denver and Colorado Springs (different areas - 10 years).

Liked Germany not so into Asian countries/culture. Doesn't look like I will make it to Oz (is that a correct nickname, Ryan?) or NZ either... May have the chance in the next few years to make it to Scotland/Ireland as middle daughter, Madira, is applying for graduate school in Scotland. Larry and I married in Roskilde, Denmark and I'd love to go back! Missed the opportunity to go to the Welsh show in Wales - was disappointing not to be able to take leave when it occurred. Would like to visit the Isle of Skye (part of why we named our 1st daughter - Skye). Have never wanted to visit Africa... LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
HA!!!! I just love these sneaky mares!! This was a fabulous find -- so pretty and just perfect!! Now your job is to keep us filled with pictures as this precious little one grows!!!

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!

Thank you everyone.
default_smile.png

Her sire is a silver bay roan who's out of a pinto ( I forget but I think he was a bay pinto) his dam is a chestnut roan. On his dams side she is a silver bay,I am not sure what she is out of. I will have to get her papers out tomorrow and see what I can find. Guessing only time will tell what her true color is gonna be. Doesn't the roan show up later?? That's what I was thinking anyway

I've learned this year that the roan shows up after the first foal coat is shed. Not sure why or how that works, but it was interesting learning, LOL.

I do see that in our ONE roan mares' foals (however - there is also a grey gene involved in those foals' sires, so...it's REALLY confusing!). If she is not pregnant, will be breeding her when she comes into heat - want a bay roan pinto foal.

Too funny story about Cooper! LOVE it.

I have two ponies that are blind in their left eye. One went that way with fibroid development with age (talking with a vet now to see if it's tied into silver dapple coloring - but seems would have happened a lot earlier if that was the case. She's 24 this year), the gelding had an eye injury when he was a yearling and the eye slowly lost fluid until his eyesight is now gone and eye is flat. Bit rides and drives and seems to do ok since losing full sight in that eye. Ranger has been spooky since our move here, but will be working with him more and starting to drive him this summer. He'd make a nice riding "mini", too, as he's a pretty stout 38" tall boy... when muscled/conditioned, I expect he'll be pretty close to 400 #s.

From what I understand, she lost her eye due to an accident when she was 1 or 1 1/2 years of age. It doesn't affect her driving abilities but baby is giving her a hard time by hiding on that side. It's funny and yet not funny when mom has to circle to find her. Lol

I will find those papers later to see what colors are all involved.

So papers don't tell you much but here is what I have. On sires side he is a silver bay roan out of a black pinto and a red roan. The black pinto is out of a black pinto and a sorrel pinto. The red roan doesn't list the parents colors but she is out of Little Kings Cisco Supreme. That should be easy enough to find. Lol

On baby's bottom side (dam) she is a silver bay out of a bay roan and a sorrel. The bay roan is out of a grey pinto and a dark grey. The sorrel is out of a sorrel pinto and a chestnut. Anyway that's the colors listed on the registration papers. Of cocourse I am sure these are not DNA tested colors listed. LOL

I have terrible news. We lost the little filly last night. I think Ally stepped on her. I had noticed at night Ally tended to bump into things and with only one eye, I am sure it's hard for her to see at night.

Now I am debating on if I should ever breed her again. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Oh, my barn has no electric so I can't just leave a light on.

Rats, that's really a shame; so sorry for your loss. I was going to mention it yesterday, but didn't since she has sight in one eye; like with totally blind mares, bell the foal so she can keep track of it by sound. [i know of a couple foals born blind, and the mare was belled so the foal could find the mare.]

Thank you Chanda and Rebecca. Now I am trying to decide if I want to do this again next year. I might be able to fix up a stall close to the house and run electric to it so I can leave a night light on or I can leave them out in the pasture instead of stalling or I can just not breed her. I have a lot to think about and would love to hear everyone's opinions. Thank you

Oh, I'm so sorry to read this. I don't know what to advise. If you can fix up something close where she could see during the night time, it might work for you, and she did have a little beauty. But whatever you decide, we're here to support you!

Thank you Diane.

I am feeling so cheated right now, first I miss the birth then I only had two days with her. Two days to fall madly deeply in love. Well that only took a few minutes actually. I will survive this and life goes on. But right now I just want to cry and yell why why why. I will be okay and have better attitude after a good night's sleep. Thank you all for caring.

Latest posts

Back