New to minis, and mini pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepeppylass

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here and so happy to have found this forum! I recently (like 9 days ago) bought my first mini mare, and I was told she did not settle. Her last cover was late May, and I've been taking progress pictures since she moved home. I am used to full size horses, and have a lot of experience with them, but I hear minis are different? Anyway, I've been scratching my head wondering if we do in fact have a baby on the way or not? Opinions and advice welcome! Thanks everyone!

These pics were taken yesterday:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

And this is her teats in the morning, vs the evening (post haircut so I can see better) also taken yesterday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the nutty nursery. If she was last bred in May and didn't take then the owners would have seen her come into season again I'm assuming? If that is the case, I doubt she's pregnant and 330 days would put you sometime within the next 2 weeks or so depending on what part of May she was bred. But it doesn't hurt to keep watching closely and other people might have a different opinion. Lots of experience on this board. Glad you are with us.

Thank you! The last owner believed her to be bred up until January of this year, but then decided she must not be. This was taken this morning, in our rainstorm. I shaved down some guard hair so I could see belly shape better. I feel like I have so much to learn about minis but I'm already in love with this little mare! (Her name is lass, but I've been calling her little mama.) image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She was not as big in the belly as their other mares, they were bred at the same time (last half of may) and they said they saw no movement, they said 330 should be around april 16th? I'm currently almost 7 months pregnant myself and can't get out there as much as I would like to sit and watch her. I had a friend come over and feel her all over, and she says she saw movement, and my mother believes she felt movement on Saturday. Her belly has changed since I brought her home, so has her bag. At this point I'm going forward as if she is, and reading/researching everything I can, and I may just be made a fool but at least I will be prepared? I'm so appreciative that I've found this forum!

Welcome Lepeppylass, its great you have joined us at the nutty Nursery
default_smile.png

If she didn't take in may last year but she has been bred up till Jan this year , then she may very well be Pregnant , just in an earlier stage of Pregnancy to the initial/first breeding.

A BIG thumbs up to you for going forward as if she is pregnant. being prepared as much as you can will only help getting this little one safely on the ground if she is indeed pregnant.

There are so many wonderful people on here, so you have definitely come to the right place for all your questions. No question is seen to be a silly question here , so ask away
default_smile.png

Welcome again
default_smile.png

Aww congrats on your baby!! And I'm hopping we will be able to congrats you on a foal also!!! You are doing great getting prepared!!! I'm doing the same just in case : D

And welcome!!! Glad you found this board too! The ladies here are a lot of help!

Sounds like me and you are on the same boat with our girls : )

Welcome Lepeppylass, its great you have joined us at the nutty Nursery
default_smile.png

If she didn't take in may last year but she has been bred up till Jan this year , then she may very well be Pregnant , just in an earlier stage of Pregnancy to the initial/first breeding.

A BIG thumbs up to you for going forward as if she is pregnant. being prepared as much as you can will only help getting this little one safely on the ground if she is indeed pregnant.

There are so many wonderful people on here, so you have definitely come to the right place for all your questions. No question is seen to be a silly question here , so ask away
default_smile.png

Welcome again
default_smile.png
Thank you! I feel silly getting a vet out here now, its kind of at the point where she will progress or she won't. I'd rather pay the vet to come help with real problems, so we proceed as if there is a baby!

As far as feeding, she is getting non-fescue grass hay and 1 cup of mare and foal grain, I don't want to overfeed, but just support her if she is carrying a foal. anything else I should be doing feed wise? She also gets about 15 minutes a day of grazing on the pasture. I keep her in a stall at night bedded with pellets, then pine shavings, and a layer of straw on top- just in case.

I'll change my opinion then if the owners just said they didn't think she was bred because of her shape. Minis can carry all kinds of different ways - some tucked up high until the end. I think I'd watch her carefully. If you really want to know you can do a Wee Foal 120 test or have the vet out to do a blood test. Here's a miniature horse gestation chart.

Miniature Horse Gestation Chart

Yes I agree with mountain woman, I would say if she was bred and now just looked different then the other mares that is not good enought to say she is not pregnant. She very well maybe!

That's a silly way to decide if she's pregnant, in my opinion, because mares carry very differently, and some hold babies up high and tight -- especially if they are maiden mares.

Try to get a picture standing behind her, squat down so you're at belly level, and shoot a picture from the back towards her head. We're looking for some lopsidedness in her belly because babies seldom lay perfectly with 50/50 poking out both sides. Then, one picture as a side shot but squatting down right at her level. Those will give is a starting point.

And you are VERY wise to treat her as if she's pregnant. Next time she's eating her grain, feel right in front of her udder and you may feel baby movement. Crossing my fingers for you. And welcome to our Nutty Nursery! We're here to answer any and all questions -- nothing will be ignored, as we want you to have a fun experience getting the baby safely to the ground....healthy and strong!

Would a weefoal 120 be accurate after 300 days? I never gave them much credit in the past, but I've only dealt with big horses! Minis are a fun new adventure.

That's a silly way to decide if she's pregnant, in my opinion, because mares carry very differently, and some hold babies up high and tight -- especially if they are maiden mares.

Try to get a picture standing behind her, squat down so you're at belly level, and shoot a picture from the back towards her head. We're looking for some lopsidedness in her belly because babies seldom lay perfectly with 50/50 poking out both sides. Then, one picture as a side shot but squatting down right at her level. Those will give is a starting point.

And you are VERY wise to treat her as if she's pregnant. Next time she's eating her grain, feel right in front of her udder and you may feel baby movement. Crossing my fingers for you. And welcome to our Nutty Nursery! We're here to answer any and all questions -- nothing will be ignored, as we want you to have a fun experience getting the baby safely to the ground....healthy and strong!
I'm headed out to take more pics now
default_smile.png

congrats on your new adventure. And welcome. I will not say yes or no to pregnant just that as already stated they do carry different. But her udder does look like she has had previous babies. So I do believe that if she were pregnant her belly would be a lot bigger. if she is indeed as far along as she should be. hope you get some answers soon
default_smile.png

Her last foal was 4-6 years ago, previous owner couldn't remember. If she is pregnant she isn't carrying low, but has gotten wider. When I try and feel for movement while she eats her grain she threatens to kick, stomps her foot at me for feeling up her bag. Where as when I first got her she didn't mind me at all. Taken just now: image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well, since Diane likes this picture pair, I'll share for you to see. This is almost 3 years ago now. I bred the mare once cycle the previous year, and was hopeful she was pregnant. Maiden year.

First thing in the morning:

Tana - june 23, 2012 - 2.jpg

Tana - June 23, 2012 - with Dolly.jpg

And, shortly after lunch:

Tana and foal - June 23, 2012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh what a beautiful pair! I know little mama isn't a maiden, but I just have a feeling that one of these days I'll go turn her out of the stall and there will be two because she's hiding her pregnancy!

Back