Unexpected breeding : /

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope she feels better. I cant be of help either as the only experience I have had with this was as above being only one injection.

Saying that..............before my vet administered the shot she explained to me there could be side effects. These being the ones your little mare has had, sweating, running around , rolling ect.

The shot that was given to my mare , if I remember correctly was a PG injection and what it did was to start her cycling within a few days. Unfortunately if a mare is pregnant it will abort the foetus.

Hope she is feeling better
default_smile.png

Thank you everyone, she felt better rather quickly after the Banimine but the reaction to the shot was way to scary for me to have the courage to give her the 3rd injection. I appreciate your knowledge of how many injections you all had experience with and I too saw online when I tried googling that one shot had been a dose for many people with their horses. I hope I did the right thing! I never noticed her go into heat after which I thought was suppose to happen
default_sad.png
(( ugh I'm so nervous I feel like I'm going to throw up!

Aww I'm so sorry, I bet that is a really hard thing to do : ( from what I hear if they have that reaction I think that means it worked. We are all here for you and your sweet little girls.

Keep watching for her to come into heat, I think it takes a few days after the shot for them to cycle; but not certain.

As Chandra said, this will bring them into cycling, but it takes a few days. All good that you were such a caring and loving 'momma' for them!

the side effects of the shot(sweating and cramping for a short time) are very minimal when compared to having a foal that is too large for the mare to deliver and having to cut the baby apart to get it out or having to put the mare down because you and the vet can't get the baby out.Been there done both of those horrible things.I am glad I am no longer breeding.I just enjoy babies here on the Forum and visit other farms where people are still gutsy enough to have foals.I bred Minis for over 20 years and never had 1 year when I didn't lose at least 1 foal or even a mare.My mares were on monitors and I even slept in the stalls with them and still lost babies.Breeding is not for the faint of heart.I do hope things work out for the best for you.Keep us posted

Sounds scary having to watch her go through all that but at least you know that she will be okay.

I never saw them go into heat after the injections, Is that bad?! I have a mini stallion that lives in the pasture next to my mares and they usually show heat, it's noticeable, should I be worried?

I don't know anything about the shot, but maybe they just got thrown off of their regular cycle a little bit? I would keep up with how many days it's been and watch to see if they come back in. I wouldn't be worried just yet ?

I don't know anything about the shot, but maybe they just got thrown off of their regular cycle a little bit? I would keep up with how many days it's been and watch to see if they come back in. I wouldn't be worried just yet
I'll do that! Thank you! I was stressing a bit because the vet said I should notice a heat in 3-5 days after the injection

If you didn't follow thru w/ the 3rd injection (the dose prescribed for your mare), then she may not have aborted a possible fetus and she wouldn't come back into heat.

Yes, they should have come back in w/i 3-5 days - at least they always did when I worked with a vet AND did my own. I hated messing w/ hormone shots - painful to the horse, painful to watch the reactions to the symptoms. But "short cycling" is still considered normal and is still done according to my regular vet now.

When my DR changed up mine - I thought I was dying w/ from the pain!

I suggest you also talk to your vet again. To find out what the next step is...

Cute mares - hope you get this resolved soon!

Some mares come into quiet heats, do you think this could be the case with your girls? Maybe it was just not a strong heat? I'm so sorry that your going through this and it's worrisome.

I wonder if you should ask your vet about it and then maybe get another vets second opinion? Just to ease your mind...

I'm wondering about these shots. I just got a mini mare a month ago, previous owner gave her one shot to abort last summer. Not sure if it worked because now she is looking pregnant. I would also ask the vet. Maybe they could do an US, but I would think if she had the bad reaction that it may have worked. Never know about these things tho. You are doing great in taking care of your girls!

I JUST WANT TO SCREAM!!! Hi everyone! Hope all has been positive around here
default_smile.png
) I made it very clear I didn't want to breed my younger girl, the one who I gave the "morning after" injections to, she turned two years old on May 23rd. I moved our mini stallion to a pasture next to my mini mares just for a couple days while my husband put up some new fencing at his usual pasture. Someone left the adjoining gate to the mares open yesterday, probably the kids because they are use to the mares being able to go back and forth in both pastures. So here I am again with a similar issue seeing that my two year old was in heat the day before. This time though if he bred her he's only about 28 inches tall and she's about 34 inches. Do I leave this alone? I literally cried! This filly is my bottle baby, I practically feel like I gave birth to her myself lol, I never ever planned on breeding her but why crap happens just makes me crazy! Ugh

Dose her again. That's what I would do. Or even talk to your vet about keeping some doses on hand if more of these instances happen.

I'd certainly discuss it with your vet. So sorry this happened to you, but these things do happen and where there is a will, there is always a way!! Don't beat yourself up -- these "boys and girls" have minds of their own.

Oh No
default_smile.png
Yeah I agree Id be talking to your vet. Don't beat yourself up, boys will be boys and even a fence wont stop them from getting what they want at times.

I agree with tremor in getting the vet to give her a shot , 2yo is a little too young for breeding but that's just my opinion
default_smile.png

Ugh I really don't want to give her the shots again
default_sad.png
(( was awful!!! But I also never wanted her having a baby! I'm not sure they even bred...btw I've never noticed my other mare go back into heat since she & my two year old snuck out with the Haflinger stallion, so a vet visit is in order anyway I guess

Appreciate everyone who stopped by and gave their thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I'm so sorry! 2 is young but she would be 3 by the time of foaling. Some others posted to give the shot, but imo I wouldn't. I would not be so quick to end a "possible" life. She may not even be bred. : ) best wishes for you an her!

If you decide not to give her the shot, don't fret. I've bred many a 2 year old -- especially the girls who were tall with nice hips, and were more "mare-like" and less "baby-like". You have to judge her maturity, and I think you said she's around 34" -- so with good care and nutrition, she may do just fine. But you have to decide for yourself (and your vet) how to proceed, and we're here to support whatever you choose.

~~Diane

Latest posts

Back