Normal birth after breech birth?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for your positive thoughts! I am praying for a safe and uneventful foaling. My horsey nurse midwife who foaled her out the last 3 times told me I have a couple of days... Up to a week left. What??????

Regardless, I will be up AGAIN with her tonight.

Today's glamour shot...

image.jpg

Thank you Magic Marker... I don't know that "I" can go another week!!!

I'm new to this world of mini foaling, but she looks ready to POP! Fingers crossed we see a beautiful baby soon, after a wonderfully smooth and hassle free foaling of course!

I know what you mean. First foal born for us was over 350 days, second mare was close to on time. Babies two weeks apart. Third mare will go tonight, maybe tomorrow (don't see that happening). Last mare is then due in four to six weeks. That does not include the half Arab that has us totally confused. Penned next to house. Breeding we saw should of had the mare foal no later than March 10. She is only half bagged up and just starting to get relaxed around tailhead. If she took with the breeding we saw, she is over 365 days (yes, a year). Thinking there was some sneaky nighttime business and she is a cycle later, making her on time.

Maybe a couple of days.... but I'm not thinking a week..... of course it's up to her, but hopefully she'll take pity on all of us! Good choice in watching her like a hawk!!

Well we are STILL pregnant. But more changes. I can remove her wide load sign... She is flat sided and sunk in the flanks. She was really bitc... Cranky this morning. Her vulva was a bit puckered, but I thnk that had to do with her crankiness... She didn't want me bothering her.

Pics attached.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ooooohhh, she looks like a can of biscuits! A question about the tail. I was watching Patty. The day before she foaled. She was doing some running in the yard and she would stand swishing her tail. You say resistance. Explain. I was assuming she would not be able to swish her tail when it was time. Which I was gone when she foaled so I did not get to see if her tail was moving.

They can swish there tail. Tail resistance is when you hold there tail and lift it. Normally the horse will clamp their tail against there rump. When they have no resistance, you can lift their tail.

She is swishing her tail big time. Does not clamp her tail down but is cranky about me messing with her tail and who ha!

She looks closer
default_smile.png

Better get out your catcher's mitt...... won't be long now. Don't turn your back!

Last edited:
Ugh! Still no baby. But my sleep deprivation has caught up to me. I fell asleep last night at 1:30 and missed my alarm and slept until 4:30. When I woke up I rushed out to the barn to find a sleepy mare blinking her eyes at me... and thankfully no baby or labor problems!

Now for the funny part. I was dreaming just before I woke up. My dream was the same thing. I had slept through my alarm and rushed out to the barn to find all my other mares had foaled (they aren't pregnant) and Bailey was still pregnant. I think this is my mind being jealous that everyone elses mares are having foals and not mine!

So... As a distraction to my mare NOT foaling for me, let's play "does this mare look pregnant to you?" If she is, the stallion got her through the pipe panels last summer. My heart says "please no" then my eyes say "look pregnant to me!"

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stallions can be sneaky. When I purchased my miniature stallion, the breeder knew she was expecting onr foal from him. Saw him get out and cover her. Three years later she goes to do the paperwork on two other colts that where born that following year. Did DNA on all the stallions she had. None matched, so she contacted me. Sent the stallions DNA in and he matched. She has no idea how he got to those mares becaise he never escaped the pen again.

I had this mare, Bailey and another in the pasture next to the stallion paddock. The reason was to see if they came into heat. Bailey did, bred her and she took... obviously! This mare, Babe, never showed interest in the stallion or signs of heat. The other mare hated him and wouldn't let him near her. I hand breed everything, so I know when babies are due!

When I filled out my stallion report, I only listed Bailey. Curious if I am going to amend a stallion report and add another mare!

The one picture is a bit suspicious to me as she appears a bit lopsided, which is a good sign of pregnancy... depending on how far along she is. But could you take a picture of her from the back and looking 'down' her sides to her head please. And squat down right at her level. This will more accurately show how (or if) a baby could be riding in there. Looks like a possibility, and can't wait to see better angle picture.

Latest posts

Back