Normal birth after breech birth?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLM

Reaction score
Well hello all,

Its been a while since I have been here, I even forgot my password and had to re-set it.

My question of the day...

My mare last year lost her foal to a breech birth. She was at a foaling barn, under cameras and help was present the entire time. The vet was of course on an emergency call elsewhere and so was the back up vet. The foaling attendant was unable to get the foal turned, he was pressed up too tight to the pelvis. Finally after some time to save my mare she pulled the foal out by the tail, knowing he would be dead due to the amount of time and lack of oxygen.

The good news was my mare was saved with minimal tearing and accepted the loss of her foal. She was a total hussy a week later and i made her wait another month before breeding her back.

So here I sit... a year later. All year long I have stressed over the upcoming foal. She has had one foal previously, a normal textbook delivery.

What causes the foal not to present normally. If a mare has a breech foal once is she likely to do it again? Or is this just "one of those things" that occasionally happen?

bailey1.htmlbailey2.htmlbailey4.html

bailey3.html

Attachments

• bailey1.html
    571.4 KB · Views: 340
  • bailey2.html
    571.7 KB · Views: 133
  • bailey3.html
    571.9 KB · Views: 60
  • bailey4.html
    571.9 KB · Views: 228
From what I have heard/read, no she should not be prone to another breech. At least not anymore than she was prior to her breech foaling. I have heard that if there were substantial tearing and damages done that there could be complications. But they normally have to do with being susceptible to bacteria and infection, that may lead to slipping a foal.

Here is a link that is helpful on how deal with a breech. There are others I'll be looking for. http://www.scottcreek.com/breach-foal.html

Thank you!

The tearing was minimal. She was treated with antibiotics for 10 days after foaling, examined and cleared for breeding by the veterinarian.

I am hoping since her prior foaling was "textbook" we have no complications.

I forgot to say WELCOME BACK!!!! Also if the vet says its an all go then I say double thumbs up
default_smile.png
looking forward to some future babies. Hope you will keep us updated.

She is no more likely to have a breech birth than any other mare. Each pregnancy is "unique" so she is not "prone" to another breech. Just make sure she has lots of access to being outside and normal exercise so she can roll that new baby into position for you.

How about a few pictures of the new momma to be and we're very glad you're back!!!

And good job having her vet checked for this pregnancy. We'll pray for a completely uneventful delivery of a healthy little one for you this year!!!

Thank you! So nerve wracking!!!

I tried to add pics from my work computer and had no luck... Trying again!

Here are a few from 2 nights ago...

The last two are Bailey and her last filly (year before last)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So pretty. Adorable baby can't wait to see what she has this time
default_smile.png
. Is she a pintaloosa? Looks like mottling on her muzzle? Maybe the lighting. Very pretty girl

Yup, Pintaloosa.

Bailey, AKA- Bar B Supreme Attitude. By Brewers Classic Supreme X Cherryville Rios Elegant Attitude.

She is in foal to my avatar picture Sierras Dance Duster. A Buckskin pinto.

Hoping for color... happy with healthy!

How far along would she be? Her vulva does look quite loose, but that can happen if you catch them when they are relaxing.

Tonight's progress photos:

She is loose... Jello butt and loose poop.

Bag is a little fuller

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm going on two and a half days..? Till foaling. Unless her bag gets smaller. Its interesting to see how close you can get to the exact date.

Rebecca... Are we gonna race?
default_smile.png

Bailey had an off and on uncomfortable night, down several times, but nada
default_sad.png

Kandiimage.jpg

We shall see :} lol. Too bad there's no smiley face grining and rubbing its hands together. I am limited on my tablet. She looks adorable, making the tight ear pulled back nostril face. My littlest girl does that when she eats. Its her moment of being content.

Looks very promising... baby looks forward of center, udder looks good, she's nicely elongated. Is baby lined up... momma looking slab-sided? Let her have good room to roll, and we should be reading an announcement soon!

Latest posts

Back