Patty is starting to get big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont worry Kim, you are not alone - no matter how many mares we have foaled, we still get nervous every single time a new baby is expected! Glad that you have been reading the pinned threads, but the most important thing that you can do for Patty is to be calm and to BE THERE when she foals - not going out to check every hour, half hour or even every 15 minutes, but to be watching very closely all day and sitting up with her all night. However if you can keep the pictures coming plus any information on the changes you are seeing, we will try to get you as close as possible to within a few days of her foaling to prevent you becoming too exhausted from a lack of sleep!! So keep watching for those changes, not only in her udder development but also with her general behaviour.

Good luck!

And, if it's any comfort, I'm always here on my phone, and can do Facetime with you if you need. 863-990-3210.

I've "delivered" several babies by phone at all hours of the night and day, so as Anna said, we're here to help in any way we can, and I'm glad you've read the post. The more you read, the better prepared you will be and you will surprise yourself by being prepared. I know some have printed out the topic and keep it in the barn for reference.

We're here to help all we can, but it sounds like a great comfort to have 2 vets so close!

Thanks so much you guys! It does help my nerves. Oh Diane thanks so much for your number. I will try not to call you but can't make any promises. Just knowing you are there to FaceTime makes me feel so good! I just put your number in my phone so I am ready. I will put it in my iPad too!

Stump dipping solution-alcohol I assume.

Enema-I have to give her an enema? So what a summers eve vinegar and water?

Vet wrap-what is that?

Foal blanket- I will go look for for one. I don't think we have any here or at tractor supply. Not for minis anyway.

Okay I am starting this

Betadine (povidone iodine), or chlorhexidine (not sure of spelling) for dipping navel.

Most use Fleets brand baby or child's enema (it's not the same as a douche, the Summer's Eve stuff).

Vet wrap is self-sticking stretchy bandage material that most tack shops (TSC also) should carry.

Dog coats work pretty good for mini foal blankets. A child's sweatshirt cut to fit will work in a pinch, just harder to get on and off.

Your vet can give you a small bottle of whatever they recommend for naval dipping/swabbing. Care should always be taken with vet wrap not to apply too tight and not to leave on the tail for more than a couple of hours, ordinary tail bandages work just as well but again the "not tight/couple of hours" is important - we never wrap our mare's tails as we are always there at foaling time and simply move tails out of the way, anyway our girls are not used to tail wrapping and would probably freak out if we tried it just at a time when we want them as calm and relaxed as possible! Enemas should not be necessary except in the case of emergencyand then your vet should do it unless you are experienced in giving one - make sure the vet knows it is for a mini foal. Yes dog blankets/coats can work well for mini foals - judging on the size of your mare I think you might need the largest size and will probably need three of them - one for indoor use and two waterproof ones for outside in case baby gets caught out in the rain and you need to dry out the rug before using it again.

Remember that the new baby belongs to it's Momma (not to you) and will need those first few hours to bond with her - new babies bond by smell and need to register the scent of its dam and not that of a human being if all is well and human intervention unecessary. New babies can easily go 6 hours without drinking (even up to 12) and as long as it is 'searching' for the mare's udder regularly then leave well alone and give them both time. Once the birth is over and all seems well then get out of the stall, get someone to bring you that welcomed cup of coffee and watch from a distance to keep an eye on their progress - I love this special time! About an hour later you can offer your girl the first of her warm mushy feeds and mae sure she has plenty of soft leafy hay to eat.. Plenty of bedding will keep baby warm for these first few hours even if you need to rug a bit later on (some mares can freak at the signt of their baby wearing a rug and reject them), I use straw for bedding as it can also be well banked up around the sides of the stall to keep any draughts away.

Remember that however friendly a mare is, she is still a new mum and like any other animal she will feel protective towards her new baby - some mares can get very overprotectve for several days, so be aware that this might happen and do not take any chances. If you are in the stall with them never put yourself between the mare and her foal even if it means you movng around/away, and if you do have a 'protective' mare then if you need to do anything to her or the baby, have someone halter her and hold her, talking quietly to her to keep her calm, while you do any necessary chores/handle the foal (for rugs etc). It normally only takes a few days for most mares to relax with their new babies and return to their sweet selves!

Quite honestly, all this is just common sense so I'm sure you will be fine!
default_yes.gif

Well it really sounds like all I need to do is watch for anything bad and as long as it is good just let her handle it. I take it the kit is just for emergencies really. I don't think Patty has ever had her tail wrapped. Thank God I am not supposed to give Her an enema! I have to give Patty warm mushy food? I guess I need to buy her some Timothy grass. Why does she need mushy food? Thanks for the advice. I really hope that she goes until February. Do you think the baby will really need a coat? It does not really get that cold here. Thanks again for all the advice I am getting.

Patty is looking great!

Had to go back a bit to see what was going on - so out of the loop while moving, temporary qtrs, closing on new farm...

You'll do fine with her, Kim.

Mushy foods - because her body will be dehydrated from fluid loss (not dangerously dehydrated). It helps with getting everything restarted again. Actually, all of our ponies are fed wet all the time here in NC - so feeding "mushy" is not any different after foaling. Also, mushy feeding is good for the foal -who often will stick their noses into their dam's buckets (if she lets the foal do that).

As to a "coat" - well, most probably not. BUT always good to have something on hand. Since you have toddler sized grandchildren (or small grandchildren?) - a sweatshirt "stolen" and kept for the foal works. We have had one foal born that couldn't regulate her own temp at first - she wore toddler sweatshirts for quite sometime... Because we were swapping them out so fast - we didn't get the bottom(s) tied up (or elasticized). Pinning it up snug - didn't always work - but a large head diaper safety pin would work...

Here's "Stuffy" as a foal in MT - wearing our daughters' sweatshirts. She was a yearling in 1997 when we moved from MT to NC. To this day - she still doesn't have a "proper" blanket.

2169.jpg
b7ea.jpg

496d.jpg

and Stuffy in 2013 - with her 4th foal for us (her 3rd colt)...

13apr17rio370.jpg

Our horses and ponies are used to us grooming them and handling their tails. We often braid up a tail and can/do leave it hanging down like in the photo above OR we've tucked the length in side of itself such as in the photo below

13apr9to096.jpg

AND this pic above - of Tory - was taken literally about 12 hours before she foaled!! Here she is at 2 am w/ her colt -

13apr10tColt175.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Such cute pictures!!!!

About the soft, mushy food. Many times JUST prior to foaling, the mama will begin having what we call "cow patties" -- or very loose manure. This is nature's way of cleaning out her system, and giving maximum room for the delivery of the foal.

This leave a greatly empty system, and giving soft, mushy feeds to the new momma, helps her get her system back moving again, and the "extra" water in the food helps to keep her hydrated, and the food moving through the gut. Just a couple of days will help stimulate her gut into working normally again. And if she is normally allowed to graze, then some grazing is good for her too. If not, just some soft mushy food, and some quality hay (like alfalfa) will give her some roughage and protein, and help get the gut moving properly again.

We all look for the babies to poop after birth, but don't be alarmed, if it takes momma a bit longer. Remember, she has a long gut system to refill, and it can take a little bit of time to "fill her up" again.

I'm sure she'll do fine, but if you see something you're not sure about, let us know, and remember we're here to help get this precious one on the ground safely, and keep momma safe and healthy too.

Forgive me if I have missed it somewhere but have you given us an update on the state/size of her udder? Regular info about any changes can help us to know or make a reasonable guess as to when she might foal.

I will get you another soon. I have to delete some pics first,so I have to get to printing!

Hi Kim, I just sat and read yalls entire Patty topic
default_smile.png
i have a mare due in your same time frame. ( Kate) I love how the Ladies help new (& veteran) mare owners learn. This is such a great place to be supported as well as learn, and be reminded of foaling.

Patty is a super cute miss and i hope she throws you a beautiful lil pinto
default_smile.png

One good way ( if possible) to watch your mare if you dont have a barn cam is to get a baby moniter. Most are very reasonably priced and the new ones have much better range of veiwing service. you can set it up in her area, and take the inside unit with you where you go, so you can watch her as much as needed with out running to the barn. Most baby moniters also have sound....so you can always listen too. A good friend of mine just got one and loves it!

Looking forward to more pictures of Patty!

Hey guys! Sorry for the absence of info on my little Patty. She is doing good still. We have been so busy lately. Also sick. Weather has been just awful. I will try to get some new pics up tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back