Abbie is overdue (and on our barncam!) 342 days on 3/16/14! pix inside!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontworrybeappy

Reaction score
Abbie is at 370 days today!

FAQs:

I have been breeding horses for over 35 years, and have been a professional "mini mare midwife" for the past 15 years, foaling as many as 30 mares per year. (this ain't my first rodeo!
default_whistling.gif
)

Yes, breeding date is certain, she was brought home from stallion owner just days from going out of heat, and we have had no escapes, no possible stallion/mare contact here.

She has an annoying mixture of ready/not ready signs, is in no obvious distress, sleeps a lot!

Young mare (6 years old), 2nd foal. (first was born at 330 days, also with mix of ready/not ready signs... ) 1st foal sired by same stallion.

Live foal palpated by vet at 343 days. Has been in foaling stall and on camera since then, no chance we "lost" the foal anywhere. Foal motion (slow, not kicking) seen & felt this morning (370 days)

We usually turn her out and make her move once a day. She doesn't want to move but will when pressed. Pulls hard to get back in her stall, though!

My own personal longest gestation in the past was 372 days, an Arabian mare. Abbie herself was my shortest gestation, at 292 days with no major complications (aside from needing plasma...!) My vet claims she's carrying this one longer to make up for the time she missed.
default_frusty.gif

http://webcam.kpmcornerstone.com:8080/multi.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have a small pony that is 406 days! Truth! Vets been out, foal is active, date is acurate as well 100%.. I guess it's not all that uncommon I'm noticing, however unlike you I have no real foaling experience until now
default_smile.png
good luck!

Hi and welcome! Abbie standing quietly at her stall door. Such a pretty girl.

The days don't surprise me....I've had a mare who foaled at 365 days each and every year like clockwork. Sometimes these ladies just have a mind of their own, and if you're as fortunate as I was, each baby was just fine and healthy and a good delivery -- although they was definitely 'cooked' as not the tinier, frail little ones that you sometimes get!

Welcome!

Well, she's enjoying her meal, and being quite attentive to what's in her feed bowl! Gotta love these girls.....they just LOVE to eat and nothing gets in the way of eating! LOL

Forgot to add to FAQ - no chance of fescue either - we are in Southern California, there is no pasture, only dry lots, we feed alfalfa pellets.

​She's munching on a 3-way "forage hay" - oat/wheat/barley. We also use it to "top dress" the wood-pellet bedding in the stalls once the foals are born.

gallery_1934_28_106466.jpg

View attachment 6635

That was Abbie when she was born at 292 days!

Thanks! Well, here we are at 371 and nothing big has changed... her bag is about the same size, however the nipples are now pointing down instead of towards each other.... I am so tired I just want to hang her from the barn beams and bat her like a pinata until the baby falls out!
default_whistling.gif

A friend says maybe she's waiting for the lunar eclipse that is supposed to happen tonight between 2 and 4am... I'd be thrilled to not have to wait longer than that!
default_frusty.gif

Thanks! Well, here we are at 371 and nothing big has changed... her bag is about the same size, however the nipples are now pointing down instead of towards each other.... I am so tired I just want to hang her from the barn beams and bat her like a pinata until the baby falls out!
default_whistling.gif

A friend says maybe she's waiting for the lunar eclipse that is supposed to happen tonight between 2 and 4am... I'd be thrilled to not have to wait longer than that!
default_frusty.gif
Ahahahahahaha!!! Just about died laughing at the piñata deal, that was great!!! Made my day!!!

Well, the nipple change is a positive change, as you know.

And the piñata is an idea I don't think anyone has mentioned before! I think it's a grand idea!!
default_worshippy.gif

Just swing gently!

Last edited:
Back