Sign in to follow this  
horsehug

Miniature Horse dwarfism - Test Now Available!

Well, I certainly hope that AMHA will step up to the plate and do the same thing(put the dwarf testing results on the papers(and amy fee SHOULD be small, IMO!)

Edited by Margo_C-T

It was announced on FB yesterday that AMHR will put results on the papers for a small fee.

This will change the miniature horse industry and I hope many will do this. I'm hoping to start breeding again in the near future so I already sent in for one of 2 of my mares this morning.

I'm curious. Say I have a mare who tests as a full blown dwarf and send in her test results because she IS registered, will they strip the papers? How would that affect offspring that are registered or are going to be, if they are not dwarves but are carriers?

(Just thinking here)

It was announced on FB yesterday that AMHR will put results on the papers for a small fee.

This will change the miniature horse industry and I hope many will do this. I'm hoping to start breeding again in the near future so I already sent in for one of 2 of my mares this morning.

Do you have a link to that post? I couldn't find it?

Tremor, I don't think I'm supposed to put a link to FB on here but if you go to FB and type in
ASPC/AMHR/ASPR in the search bar you will get the page that Lewella posted it in. Just scroll down til you see her post, not very far down.

Susan O.

• Like 1

I'm in the 'no longer breed' group but I think this is very good news. How wonderful to be able to tell ahead of time what you are dealing with and what the risks are! Thank you to those who have spent so many long hours deciphering this genetic puzzle and making this test available.

• Like 1

This is amazing. I thought it was years off!

• Like 1

The ASPC/AMHR Board of Directors voted at Convention in November that once available, members would be able to record Dwarf test results on their horse's registration papers. Having the results recorded will incur a registration paper update fee just like adding color test results (which AMHR will also do).

Tremor - the ASPC/AMHR Board of Directors has not yet addressed the possible issues with test results that indicated the horse that was tested was itself a dwarf.

• Like 1

Thank you! Cannot wait to here updates!

This is great news. Just will take me a while to be able to afford to test all of our horses at that price. I am unemployed so dont have tons of extra cash laying around LOL! I would assume AMHA would have no problem with adding the testing results to the papers since they already allow the color testing results to be added. Would be interesting to call and ask and find out :)

I don't see how the registries can take away registration papers to those who tested positive. Possibly if they make it into effect on future registrations where they make every foal tested before registration and you have to test negative for all panels then yes I can see them deny registration. But I think the registries will loose money on registrations that way.

It's important unfortunately it's going to be costly but who know how widespread these horses will test positive for the dwarf gene.

Sign in to follow this