911 help!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no
default_sad.png
that's upsetting to hear
default_sad.png
so sorry xxoo

I'm so very sorry to hear the outcome- please give my sympathies to the mare's owners.

Sending you ((((HUGS)))) and dont worry - Crystal will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear this... Hugs to the owner...

As for Crystal... Just be very aware of everything going on with her... Make sure you have EVERYTHING handy... including vet number, someone's number here, and all your supplies...

When it comes to dystocia in Minis... There seems to be two common problems (there are probably others, but these two seem to be the most prevalent)... Either the baby gets hiplocked and/or stuck some way, or the baby is born and cannot get out of the sack... Someone on here can tell you how to 'dislodge' a hiplock (Toni just told me that there is information on dystocias at the top of Marestare Forum).

We've lost three foals to redbag in three years because we weren't present at the time of birth. We missed the foaling between checks with all three (1 mare had two redbags, the other mare just the one). Our conclusion: Be there at all times!!!! Even if you have to sleep next to the stall, with a string around your big toe and the other end around the mare's neck!!!

We have one mare due end of June/first of July. She's one of the mares that redbagged on us last year... Toni and I both will be out there in shifts all night and day... Especially for this mare as she is blind in one eye (pasture accident) and has trouble seeing out of the other eye (it's blue).

Kari

Yes, there is an informative thread pinned at the top of this forum, which should help in many cases, but each one is unique, and a vet should be called when a problem first is found. Much better to tell the vet you got baby safely to the ground BEFORE they arrived, rather than wait too late for a vet to save the little one.

Keep good watch for sure!

So sorry to hear this sad news, I saw the post last night but I have no foaling experience to have helped. Please give your friend my symphathies and a big hug for you too, I am sure it was hard on you as well. You are a good friend to have helped as much as you did.

I am soo sorry. It is sad to have read this. It is a reminder to me to get dianes number in my phone..and have my vet on speed dial.

My number is: 863-990-3210 and I'm here for everyone if you need me, no matter what the hour!

Back