911 help!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
At a friends house with her pregnant mini mare. Shes been in labor for sometime going on over an hour. Went in to check things out and the foals nose is tucked and the hooves cant be found. I have tried for about 30 mins. The foal is stuck!!! Can anyone call me and help us? Vet is to far away to get here in time!!! Help 911

When I had one like that I used my wrist to push against the forehead while hooking my fingers under the jaw to bring the nose up. Then if the foal is still alive you will have to be FAST to find at least one leg and get it forward as the foal starts moving quickly once the head is in position. You can deliver the foal with only one leg forward as long as you can find the second knee to guide with it, that is how I had to deliver mine as once she got moving there was no more room for repositioning and i didnt feel there would be room to get the head in position with the legs in the way.

To find the front legs, feel the head and follow the neck back to the shoulder and then down the legs..... Also CALM DOWN if you are getting panicked as you can not help the mare if you dont focus on helping rather than worrying!

Cant even find the lower part of its face its so tucked in there.

Do you have KY or any other kind of lubricant to help you get in there further. If you can find the eye, feel back to the cheekbone, if it is tucked tight you may have to push your fingers down along it to get under the chin. Can you get enough people to help keep the mare standing while you work, it is a LOT easier to reposition with the mare standing!

If she has been foaling for that long, it is hard to say if the foal is still alive, I have heard of miraculous deliveries that took that long and managed to have a live foal so dont totally give up on it yet but as of now your priority has to simply be to save the mare.

I have lubricant the whole time. I just cant get my hand in far enough to get to anything to bring the nose up, still trying.... just wanted to see if there was some secret, but I just cant seem to get far enough in. The mare is real small, like 28 inchs.

The small ones can be really tough especially if a larger foal. .... like I said keep her standing as much as possible and you might have to put a bit more force into reaching in to get far enough. ....it is really hard tp give perfect advice on the situation when I'm not actually there so sorry that I can't do more to help! I just know that the mare standing has helped us the most for repositioning....you just have to keep trying and focus. ..if you need to calm down take a couple minutes to relax as those couple minutes won't hurt as much as trying to hurry too much. You are doing all you can and just keep trying until the vet gets there

Last edited by a moderator:
legs are out, head is in the right place, we think, but the foal still wont come out. No one around?

So sorry to read this - it sounds as though the mare is too small in the hips/the foal is too big. You have done an amazing job to get this far. Hopefully a vet has arrived by now to help out. Saying prayers for the little mare.

I don't usually check in in the AM before going to work, but decided to check. Was saddened to see this.

Did the vet make it out? Were you able to help her produce the foal? How is your friends' mare?

Take care. Sending <<<cyber hugs>>> for you and your friend.

I'm so sad to have missed this emergency. Hoping the vet made it out in time, and saved both mom and baby.

I'm always available for this by phone, and my number is: 863-990-3210. I've posted it here several times, and always willing to help no matter what the time.

So sorry. ~~Diane

Very sorry to hear. Please let us know how they are doing.

Sadly neither mom nor baby made it. Thank you all for your kind words.

I will give everyone a crystal update soon. Now im super nervous about her foaling.

Latest posts

Back