Types of Pinto Markings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse_apples

Reaction score
I get confused about the different types of Pinto markings. Can anyone set me straight?
You have to click the pictures to see them bigger, sorry!

Here is Sassafrass (She looks thin in these pics but the vet has her on a different feed and she's gained a bit back!)

Here is her daughter Teaspoon

Also, I am curious about the white hairs interspersed throughout their spots.

What should I call their offical colors?

From the photos you've posted it looks like Teaspoon is a dark Bay Roan Tobiano. Sassy is at least Tobiano and may be something else as well. It is often hard to tell even with excellent photos. Sassy also looks roan(that's the white hairs mixed in the colored hairs) but whether she is a chestnut roan or bay roan I can't see from these pictures.

Thanks for your input. I wondered if they were roan! I though they had to have a base color legs and muzzle to be considered roan, (for example, my blue roans have black legs and black faces) but Im just learning about the vastly diverse world of coat colors. I'd be super excited to find they were both roan because my other two girls are beautiful (IMO) blue roans.

Oh BTW - Sassy's way more red than Tea. I wish I could get good pics of thier tails. They both have multi colored tails - white with red and black and with natural spiral curls at the bottom.

They are so pretty they won first place ion the mother-foal competition at the county fair with their original owner.

Oh Lord help me. This little herd of mine has completely over taken my life and heart - in a good way
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they are true roan, which is as you describe with base color head and lower legs; but rather, Sabino roan, sabino is in the pinto patterning family and causes many of the usual facial markings (blazes, snips, strips and stars) and lower leg markings and also all-over roaning or just patches of roaning.

Like I said it is hard to tell from the photos you posted. But I think for now I will stand by them being a true Roan. It is true that in a non-patterned horse a real Roan will have no roaning on the head and legs making them solid other than socks and blaze. Tobiano often masks the leg area with white markings to above the knee. When you have enough Sabino to make the amount of roaning in your 2 girls it most often also gives you LOTS of white on the head, neck, and chest. I can't see most of the front half of Sassy who probably does have some Sabino markings as I said in the first post. Teaspoon may have very minimal Sabino not nearly enough to produce the roaning you see.

This is my current APHA stallion. He is not a Roan even with all the roaning you can clearly see. Cowboy is Homozygous Tobiano. He also tests Negative for the SB1 Sabino gene. He is one of the other "Sabinos". Notice his facial markings.

[/url]">http://

This is my daughter's mare soon after we rescued her. It shows her roaning the best. She is not Roan but rather is Positive for the SB1 Sabino. Not nearly as much roaning and again look at her face and head. Very different from Cowboy.

And last but not least one of our Bay Roan Tobiano mares. No other genes but Tobiano and Roan. You can just barely make out where her black points on one of her legs would be.

Pinto horse genetics is a fascinating thing. I am constantly learning something new. Especially since not all of the patterns are fully identified. When you add 2 or more patterns together it is easy to get lost and confused. Sometimes it is much easier to find out what they are NOT as opposed to what they ARE. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of horses are labeled as roan, but are in reality heavy sabino... I have a mare who's papers say she is a red roan dun... She is neither dun nor roan. She is a heavy sabino sorrel. A true roan has a dark head and legs... My mare has white hairs throughout her coat.

Another instance... I don't believe "Roan Ranger" was a roan. I believe he was heavy sabino, as well.

Kari

Since I have a black mare with a lot of white hairs in her coat....sabino white...and absolutely no white on her head or legs--I disagree that a horse must have face white to have sabino roaning on the body. I would say that Sassy and Teaspoon are sabino and not true roan.

Latest posts

Back