Angel, maiden mare's highly anticipated pregnancy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww your baby sounds so sweet!

Yeah the weight thing is an issue with Napoleon which is awful because my horses stay at my moms 20 acre pasture in the summer but not the minis they would eat themselves to death I'm afraid so they just get small grazing opportunities
default_smile.png

Oh the pictures are fabulous!!! Just love each and every one!!

As to being a buckskin -- the inside of those ears still has me wondering. Personally, I would test her and see what they say! Either way, she will carry a cream gene -- so you can get some dilute colors.

And just so you don't think I'm crazy.....she could still very well be a buckskin with the sooty gene. We all know that buckskins can come in a variety of different shades -- look at all the Buckeroo lines -- but this horse below is a color TESTED BUCKSKIN with the sooty gene -- and most would call him a black or even a smokey black -- but he is NOT black -- he's a sooty buckskin!

sooty_buckskin.jpg

Thank you Diane
default_smile.png
. I definitely don't think you're crazy one bit I really thought she was buckskin too and then she started shedding out almost black!

I got an account with the ucdavis and looked at the color testing but I'm so confused on what I'm testing for there are so many things!

I also have a question about mares cycling. I have been watching both Angel and Nova to see if they are in heat so I can bring them to Banner and I can't figure them out! I talked to the previous owner and she said that they both are soft cyclers and can be very difficult to figure out and that she just put them in the pasture with the stud for a month... Is there any better way to tell? I definitely don't want to send them to Banners for a month- I can't be away from them that long!

Thanks and I sure hope you had a great trip with your family
default_smile.png

Hi there
default_smile.png

Some mares can be really hard to tell so you have to look for subtle changes in behaviour as well as a dirty tail. I know you have just bathed them so that will help to see if they get dirty.
default_yes.gif
Check under their tails daily as their urine will smell stronger and they can wink a lot when they pee. Mood swings and over friendly behaviour between mares can happen too.

oh thats good advice for me also thanks Renee
default_smile.png

your baby clipped up wonderfully
default_smile.png
gorgeous little ones. hope you figure the girls cycles out soon. one of my girls is going to a stallion named Banner later this year
default_smile.png
I'm sure your Banner is gorgeous!

Thanks Renee I will try and pay closer attention to those signs
default_smile.png

Cassie- thank you and that is so funny that we both are breeding to a Banner, here are some pictures of the Banner I'm breeding to (if I can figure out when they are in their cycle)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back