Redrock Miniature Horse Farm - Dream - maiden appaloosa mare *FOALED* 5/16 *New picture 7/23*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, only 1 solid bay and 1 black pinto out of 12 foals -- some out of solid dams ! LOVE when they throw those spots!!!!

Yep, Diane, Galaxy has a pretty good record for throwing color. He's already sired a black, blanket colt this year.
default_thumbup.gif

Mary, I have your cam up and will watch it as much as I can. The not laying down flat out is a good sign she's getting close. Such a pretty mare! Can't wait to see her foal!

My mare isn't online either. I gave up trying. She also went from no udder to a lot of udder in two days, but that was over a month ago and she's hardly developed any more. However your mare has got a great udder going! She's beautiful! I really look forward to seeing that baby!

No big changes in Dream yesterday or today so far. I'll update as she does something interesting.

An update today. Dream has a little more udder development this morning. First time noticeable in several days. I will take my camera to the barn and take some new udder pics before I turn her out.

Here's Dream today at 303 days gestation. These pics don't look a lot different than the last ones, but I can feel more filling today.

Dream303days1_zps4c07144a.jpg

Dream303days2_zpsf79daaf7.jpg

I'd really like for her to foal before I leave for a horse show a week from today! I told her she could progress now.
default_yes.gif

WOW! She has a LOT more udder than my mare for only 303 days! My girl is a maiden as well and she's at 330 days. What can I say, I have "Udder" envy!
default_new_rofl.gif

Diane, I've given her a pep talk. Since she's past 300 days now, it's ok to start really progressing!

Viola, you just never know what any given mare is going to do. Some go early and some go late and some go anywhere in between. I wish I had the magic to predict when mares would foal. I could make a fortune!

Couldn't we ALL !!!!!!

But some just surprise us, while others move ahead steadily and we can "predict" a bit better. You just never know! The one thing we DO KNOW -- is that maidens DON'T follow the rules at ALL !

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Busy last week getting horses ready for a show over the weekend and doing the same this week heading to another show.

Dream is still on hold. I thought she was getting pretty serious this past Thursday night as her udder tightened up some during the day and when I checked her milk, it was thick and sticky. So I put the Equipage on her and she beeped all night. Ugh. I was leaving Friday, so I took her to Charlotte's to watch while I was gone, Her udder went down during that time and was smaller last night when I picked her up. So, now, she is still waiting.

Has anybody used a refractometer to check colostrum quality? I tested Dream today and she is testing 24% which is in the good range. I'm thinking she shouldn't be too far off. Would like to hear any body elses results and how long til foaling and in what range.

Becky, I have a refractometer and have used it some. But usually by the time my test strips test 'ready,' the colostrum is way up there. Sorry not much help. I might try using it on my maiden and see what kind of time frame it ends up. She has a small udder, and it was a bit sticky tonight.

Glad you posted. I was wondering how Dream was doing.

Glad to hear somebody else uses one occasionally. I virtually never use this, but just curious what Dream would test. I don't use test strips as I can usually tell when a mare is close to foaling by milk thickness and stickiness, but when a mare feels that way for a number of days, it makes you wonder what's going on!

I haven't ever used a Refractometer but I know Heather and a few others do, one of her mares this year was testing ready on it for ages and ages so I don't think I will ever bother trying it.

Can we have some uder and hooha pics please
default_smile.png

I've never used one -- guess it was to "high tech" back when I started. But the last couple of years I used the Foal Time strips and found them extremely "on task" for what they were designed for. And I like that only 1 drop of milk gives an adequate reading -- so I tore the strips into 3rds or 4ths. It will be interesting to see how it works though if someone can keep records and share.

Back