Redrock Miniature Horse Farm - Dream - maiden appaloosa mare *FOALED* 5/16 *New picture 7/23*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
As many of you know, I breed pinto patterned miniature horses, but the opportunity came along to purchase this pretty, silver dapple appaloosa mare and I couldn't resist!

Indian Dreams New Moon is a 32" AMHA Jr Champion Mare and AMHA Central Regional Champion Solid Color Mare (before her spots started to show!) Dream now has increasing mottling and snowflakes starting to develop on her body.

I brought Dream home on March 30 and detected the slightest hint of udder that day at 284 days gestation.

Within 2 days, she had substantial udder development which concerned me that far before 300 days gestation. So, I decided to start her on Regumate and SMZ's to see if I could slow her down.

Udder pics in the next post.

Dream5_zpsd544b986.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is Dream's udder yesterday at day 296. She is progressing, but not too rapidly at this point. The medication seems to have slowed her down. It appears that she will at least make 300 days and beyond.

Dream296days1_zps10c9de66.jpg

Dream296days2_zpsc698307f.jpg

I will take more pictures and post as she makes noticeable changes. Dream is bred to a leopard appy, so I am hopefully for a baby with lots of spots!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Becky and Welcome to the Nutty Nursery
default_smile.png
WoW Dream is just gorgeous and I can't wait to see this little spotty baby
default_yes.gif
I am looking forward to some body pics too
default_smile.png

This thead was started over an hour ago, and Diane hasn't seen the spot alert!

Can't wait to the foal Becky, lovely mare; good luck.

Chanda, I think Diane maybe at work where her possible 'glimpses' at a computer are pretty limited!!

Hi Becky and welcome to the Nutty Nursery. Lovely mare you have there, I'm sure she's going to give you a beautiful baby - with spots too hopefully! Are the folks you got her from absolutely sure of her dates - as I'm sure you know, many mares will still stand for a stallion even when already pregnant. Did you by any chance have her scanned before starting the regumate just in case they had her dates wrong?

Looking forward to more pics of her, she certainly a very lovely lady.
default_yes.gif

Hi Becky - LOVELY mare - is she on Mare Stare? Just as easy to watch 2 as one. Our maiden is also due soon and on MS. As a pinto "purist" I will try to refrain from any comments about her "other kind of spots" LOL!

Anna, mares can foal while still on Regumate so that should not be an issue if the dates are wrong.

Anna, very good point you brought up. Dream was actually bred through two cycles. However, the vet ultrasound dates last summer coincided with the second set of breeding dates, so I can only assume she is the gestation length I have posted.

As Mary pointed out, Regumate won't keep her from foaling at a normal time frame or developing a full udder even if the dates are wrong. I will continue on with it until she foals even if she happens to be further along than the information I have.

Mary, Dream isn't online, unfortunately. My camera system it too old to go online. Have tried and failed many times. It simply won't work! So, everybody will have to enjoy her progress through pictures and updates. At 4 yrs of age and heavy in foal, she definitely doesn't have her girlish figure she had at two when the picture above was taken!

I will take some body shots of her this weekend and post.

Gorgeous, I am looking forward to seeing the foal it should be beautiful.

Welcome to the world of appaloosas! Your mare is beautiful, and I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of her progress............and her spotted foal! LOL My mares aren't 'on line' either. I need to get some pictures posted of them. I have three mares due, all bred to our appy stallion, and all three just at, or past their 300-day mark.

Dream didn't make any major changes last night. Her udder had gone down yesterday during the day. Maybe caused by moving her to a different paddock. Closer to the barn. Udder came back up some overnight.

I will take some body shots of her today.

Here are some new pictures of Dream from today. One side shot and a couple more udder pics.

Dream298days-1_zpsdb413d92.jpg

Dream298days-2_zps4ed348f0.jpg

Dream298days-3_zps848c9be3.jpg

I obviously need a steadier hand when taking pics from underneath! LOL

SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been away all weekend with NO computer access, and was SOOOOO upset about missing things here, but I never expected to have a new appaloosa join our little Nursery!! GREAT!!!

I don't think you should be too concerned about the udder development at 284 days. Starting her udder and getting it full can take several weeks, so I think she was well within the "margin" of a safe delivery time. My earliest foal was at 297 days, but I know someone here had one at like 287 days, and had no problems. But the regumate won't hurt her, but it won't stop her foaling at her "appointed" time!

Looking forward to seeing more and more of her -- especially the spots!!!!!

Can you say who the sire is? I'm wondering what we can expect -- so I wanted to look up HIS sire and dam to see what patterning genes he might be carrying!

Can't wait!

I wish my maiden mare's udder looked like that. Dancer is at 321 days and you have to stand on your head to see any udder development, although it does feel pretty firm. She can take as long as she wants, as long as everything goes well. .

Thanks Mary and Becky for explaining the Regumate thing - never having used it, and only having read about it, I was a little concerned as to the effect it would have if given at the 'wrong' time. Glad to hear that it doesn't cause any problems.

Love the pictures - she's such a pretty girl.
default_yes.gif

Beautiful mare, very excited to see what she produces!

Mary, keep a close watch on your mare. I've been fooled by maidens in the past that didn't have what most would consider a normal udder. It can be small and even stay in two halves, but if it starts to get firm, they can and will foal.

Anna, Regumate won't cause any problem using it even if not actually needed. The mares will carry to term and develop an udder normally while on it. I expect some mares to start a little udder development around day 280, but in Dreams' case she went from just a hint, to almost half a bag in two days. That was too fast for my liking, hence the decision to put her on Regumate and give her a round of SMZ's. If it's Placentitis, you can't take the 'wait and see' approach. Any abnormal udder development can be cause for concern and without knowing whether it's truly abnormal or not, I'd rather start treatment, than come out and find an aborted baby.

Dream is progressing quite normally to me, at this point. Although, I don't think she is going to go a lot past 300 days.

Diane, the sire is 4 Zs Midnight Galaxy, a chestnut leopard appaloosa. He has sired nearly 100% colored foals. I've put in a request for a blanket or leopard silver or black filly.
default_yes.gif

But, I will take whatever I get as long as it's alive and healthy!

Thanks Becky - That is exactly why the Auntie's on this board have been so valuable. They have been helping us watch so we can get some sleep. She is also wearing an Equipage that was going off constantly for several nights because she was lying flat out, but that stopped abruptly 2 nights ago. No one saw her flat out so I don't think the alarm is the issue. She has been rubbing her butt a lot today too. Watcher's welcome - see the cam link thread for cam & IPad links. Love the IPad link because that is set up right next to the bed so I don't even have to get up to see what is going on!

Latest posts

Back