dangling gelding...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
Kind of a strange question but since our little guy has been gelded I noticed that I find his sheath more noticeable and I figured it was because he was shaved for his gelding. (He was a partial criptorchid) but also on walks he has been dropping and since we are walking he only drops a little and just leaves it kinda dangling there. I figured if they are walking usually they would keep everything up. I want to solve this issue as he has been dropping a LOT and my daughter hopes to show him but also wants to take him to see kids at the library and schools. I know sometimes they are just going to do it but he doesn't seem to want to fully retract. I am hoping it's not something wrong. The vet did a sheath cleaning for me during his gelding so I wouldn't think it's a comfort issue... Any ideas? Thanks.

Is he able to retract fully or is the penis always at 'half mast'?

Dr. Taylor

If he has the ability to retract and chooses not to, then I am pretty pessimistic about a solution. I have seen this before and I have not been able to fix it. Good news is that it's only unsightly and not a real problem.

Dr. Taylor

I know of trainers that will not tolerate this from a stud and , well, reprimand them for it. I have seen people even give it a light smack with their boot since it is not an attractive behavior to have in the show ring ( from a stud or gelding). Unless it is due to issues from the surgery, I would do my best to let him know he is a little too relaxed and should not be doing it while on a lead. Just me, sorry if others do not agree, I do not tolerate it from my 11 month old gypsy vanner colt (soon to be gelded on 4/9)and would do my best to stop a mini from from doing it too.

How long ago was he gelded? Could he have just a smidge of internal swelling still that makes it uncomfortable to put it away? I'm with the others, a light swat does the trick when on lead. I usually growl "put it away" too to make it clear its not tolerated, but I own a stud, and "thinking with the right head" is a topic we practice constantly.

So if I tap it with a whip or something maybe, would that be enough? I looked into it and most suggest to make them run or trot and they should pull it back up but that didn't seem to help. I think we will try both.

NO, do NOT tap it with anything, please- how would you like it??

Make the horse walk backwards every time he does it (if you wish to actually "cure" the behaviour it will take patience and time) I would use a clicker and a reward and, as soon as he is fully retracted, click, praise and reward. After a few times, if you think he has caught on, tell him sharply "no" when you pull him up, then be sweet, back him up, click, praise and reward. After a while you can cut out the food, then the backing and get the same results, but it does take time. Whacking him will not only not work it will make him shy of you (as I said, how would you like it??) Backing does work and will have lasting effects as you can do it anywhere, and you can click with your tongue- a click in the ring will go unnoticed, and even backing a step or two will also not be a problem. Train him for this as you would for anything else.

NO whacking, not even gentle whacks, please.
default_pray.gif

I was worried about doing something that would cause him to not want me to touch under him or make future sheath cleaning difficult. We are in the beginnings of clicker training so we can just add it in
default_smile.png
we have plenty of time for him to learn. Him nor my daughter will be ready to start showing any time soon. Although, she has a real desire to get in that ring! She has been helping Little America with a demo and says she DEFINITELY wants to show.

Latest posts

Back