What color harness?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whirled

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to minis and driving (been in hunter/jumpers forever). I am in the angonizing throes of buying my first harness. I have been digging through all the back psts about harnesses. I would like to do CDE type events in the future. I am debating between the Comfy Fit harness and the Bibeta harness from Country Carriages. I want to do the Super V breast collars and the sliding back saddles. What color do I choose? Is it all personal choice, or are some colors (black, brown, black and brown) more acceptable than others? Shiny? Matte? Which are considered fancy and why would you want fancy or not? I do not have a cart yet.

My pony is a liver chestnut, if that means anything. Also, what should I be looking at purchasing clothing wise for me?

Thank you so much for any help!

You can never go wrong with a classic black harness. It will be acceptable with nearly anything you choose to do. I am hoping to purchase a new harness this year (I hate adjusting the fit for different horses so want one for the new guy) and altho I have always preferred leather I am looking at the comfy fit this time around. Pretty enough for showing in the ADT type shows and local breed shows , tough enough for CDE and easy to keep clean.
default_yes.gif
IMO, shiny is for hilights not the whole harness, harnesses that are entirely shiny look at best rather tacky and at worst cheap to me, of course that is MO and others may feel differently, but consider that driving turnouts should be understated and there should be nothing garish or too flashy in your horse's or your attire. Try to make sure your metals match (stainless or brass) and the brass is much more work to keep up. The only other thing that comes to mind is be sure you have a good helmet .

I will second the Comfy Fit. I have several (four in hand, pair and 2 singles). i use them in both breed shows and CDE's. Betathane is strong, durable and easy to clean. Just hose them down and wipe them off with Armor All. I also have several more formal leather harnesses that I use in Pleasure Shows and more formal breed driving shows. They have to be cleaned, oiled and the brass polished every time you use them. IMHO stay away from Biothane. Also, go with black.

When I posted about color of harness and was set on russett with brass, an expert said that russett will stain sometimes with the sweat and you have to polish the brass. I got black with steel fittings. It looks real nice and I am not sorry. My harness maker does custom work and he had a nice soft black leather that felt more like the russett and was not stiff. I looks and feels nice. Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back