LPPaintedPonys - Cherry FOALED 31 AUG - PICS pg 12; Stuffy FOALED pg 6,Tory FOALED pics pg5, Koalah

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a handsome little (or not so little!) chap. Many congratulations!!

Thanx ladies!

For the first time since I purchased her, Cheri is not a pocket pony! She's not "mean" or aggressive towards us, but more "I'm keeping him away and safe". Then h turns and walks right up to us and she has the most exasperated look on her face (as if ponies can do that!)...

I think this colt will grow on us quickly!! He's a "DanD" little boyo!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Here's a pic of his afternoon nap and one of his teeny forelock and charcoal colored ears that make me think Silver Bay...

13aug31danD097.jpg

13aug31danD096.jpg

I'm standing over him during his nap and that's feed that Cheri has dropped on him while checking between bites.

well, I was trying to update w/ a couple of pics... Not szure if it's the computer or if it's this forum.

Wow, no matter which way I try to upload photos, it's not letting me. That's a first...

The babies are now 8 months old and 4 months old. Doing great - 2 will never measure in as minis and look like they will go well over the limit. The 3rd will measure in as a 3 yr old. The 4th colt will also be over the limit, but not by much...

Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas and nice Holidays.

OK, trying again to post some updated pics. Not clipped or even recently groomed.

Here's a group shot taken thru the fence. Bunny (filly #1 from left, largest), Rio (smallest colt, #3) and Dandy (colt, # 4) are all sired by 40" Iggy (All That Style N Class). Their birthdates are April 2nd (Bunny is out of Koalah - 43" mare and looks to mature close to or even taller than her dam. Almost 40" at 8 months of age), April 17th (Rio is our 3rd foal out of Stuffy & like the 1st colt, will be small like his dam) and August 31st(Dandy is a first foal for Cheri - 44" tall. I'm not sure how big he will mature yet...).

The black spot colt is out of our 40" chestnut pinto mare and is the last colt by AJ, our 45" stallion. He's not that close to Bunny in height anymore - I'm not sure where this boy will mature either! He was born April 10th.

13dec21mix002v.jpg

Cheri is 43/44" (bay spot furthest to left in the back), GG was last measured 41" - but not sure that she was "done" when she was measured, Bit has been officially measured at 40" and Bunny at 8 months of age is pretty close to 40" now....

13dec28mix709.jpg

And Rio, the little boy, is going to stay SMALL (to me! I know he's not that small to a lot of you...) and Bunny just seems HUGE, LOL...

13dec28mix711.jpg

Here's "Dandy" - he was born on 31 August,so he'll be 4 months old in a couple of days.

13dec28dand717.jpg

13dec28dand721.jpg

Great pics Paula - thanks for the update, they are all looking great!
default_yes.gif

Been a while since I updated!!

Here are some pics of the 2013 kids.

Rio and DanD went up to State for vet students to get come practice on the little guys! The great thing - no charge to us. The not so great thing - a different student did each testicle! We took 4 equine up - 1 mature mini stallion (boarder); 1 mature shetland stallion (now owned by friend I got into ponies in 2009), DanD (owned by boarder now - 18 months old) and Rio (MINE - will be 2 on 17 April).

15mar9geld193.jpg

15mar9geld154.jpg

Echo - I don't have any good photos of him here at the new place. But here's his pic from December 2014 @ temporary qtrs...

14dec5ec1105a.jpg

and the first born and the largest of the group is Bunny. She'll be 2 yrs old in 2 weeks.

15feb19bun112.jpg

and just because I can - a side shot that's a bit blurry.

15feb19bun118.jpg

They are all so pretty. Bunny would never be that color if I had her. I really like Echos coloring too. Poor little Dandy had no idea what was in store. He looks so sweet. Just a question. Did they give pain medicine to them?

Hi Kim -

On the castration - they received pain & anti-inflammatory meds plus one shot of penicillin after castration. Unlike dogs/cats - nothing came home with us. The two youngsters and the 4 yr old shetland are doing OK - very little swelling, nice amount of drainage and "holes" still open. The mini guy - not so much. Sent pics to reg vet clinic today for advice and they want me to work him pretty hard, cold hose him "hard" and try to re-open his incisions which are already closing/closed & causing the severe swelling (the vets were tied up and couldn't come out today) and see where we are after that. Vet may be able to make it out later this eve or tomorrow - but we'll hope we won't need them.... We shall see.

Bunny - too funny. Yes, I've been on clay too. I'm looking forward to seeing what shade she is this summer - at one point in her foal coat she was almost "pure" white. Last summer she was darker in her yearling coat, but no where near as dark as her two sisters are. What is interesting is how much larger she is than her two full sisters. She is one I am hoping to drive with her dam (one of my larger mares) and with another mare or two that are much larger, while her two sisters not so much (Bunny, now almost 2 yrs old is 4" taller than both of her older sisters). Getting ready to send in hair samples - know that Bunny is homozygous black (would never produce a "red" foal) but want to know if she is also homozygous for silver (hope so!) and/or for Tobiano. Her two full sisters are only single gened Tobianos and Silvers...

Dandy, Rio and Bunny are sired by the same stallion (our 2nd stallion). Echo is the last son of our first stallion.

Unlike his sire, Echo is heterozygous for black (he can sire "red" foals) and his hair goes in as well to be tested for Tobiano. I really like Echo, so in the end it doesn't matter, but I'd love it if he was homozygous for Tobi like his daddy was! Right now, Echo is remaining our Jr stallion. He has VERY BIG HOOF PRINTS to fill - as his daddy was a rather spectacular fellow. Most folks, when we were "using" AJ all the time, never realized he was a stallion. He was very well behaved and trained. He could keep up with the Tennessee walking horses as well as with QH or stock type breeds out on trail rides, he was a riding pony for all 3 of our daughters (they couldn't show him due to him being a stallion - which is fine as I knew the rules), a lesson pony for two different instructors besides myself, my driving pony AND a sire. He produced a number of 1/2 shetlands that went on to become either great show horses OR awesome riding mounts for families and sired a total of 12 purebred shetlands. Echo is the last and possibly one of the best...

I've really enjoyed tracking the colors of our breeding stock - but have found that color doesn't matter if there are physical or "mental" problems that the horse can pass along. I have gelded, sold, given away or euthanized ponies/horses over passing on genetics that I don't feel should be in the gene pool or rather don't want in MY gene pool.

It is - we only have 4 chestnuts (1 solid boarder & 2 spots & 1 roan solid) and they are all in separate pastures - not next to each other.

In each group we have silvers - both solid and spots - of different shades! It's hilarious when you realize that... One group has 2 solids that are really dark w/ almost white manes, the 2nd group has 2 solids that are really light (look palomino - both homozygous silver), the 3rd group has a solid that is ...medium - he has a cream gene as well as a silver gene. And in a large paddock I have a representative of each color - chestnut spot, bay solid & cream/silver solid (silver buckskin), hehehehehe....

This group has been split now (again) - the 3 to the right are in the SR mares group (2 lite silver solids, 2 bay spots, 1 dark silver spot, 1 red spot, 1 red roan) -

15feb19mix121.jpg

Flashi & Bunny are full sisters - Flashi almost black when kept in and Bunny very light (in winter coat - almost white). These 4 are still in the same pasture together. The Jr mare pasture now has 1 silver bay spot, 2 dark silver solids, 1 lite silver spot, 1 dark silver spot, 3 in-between silver spots...(when I had the cremello filly she was in the Jr mare group).

14sep19mix810.jpg

This group has now been split into Jr mares and Sr mares pastures. There are also a few not in this photo (2 bay spots, chestnut spot & red roan solid...

15feb19mix091.jpg

This is almost all of the boys - the bay spot 1/2 arab gelding isn't in this photo (he was in different pasture at the time) or the solid chestnut now gelding... the white tailed now gelding on the left closest to us is actually a silver bay - not a chestnut.

14sep14mix691.jpg

Also have a bay in each group - 3 have spots and 1 is solid.

Only 1 black/white at this time. It's always surprised me that we never had other black/white foals with our silver dapples - both sire and dams were all single gened silvers and black/white was always a possibility.

When I sold our cremello filly, I lost the opportunity to have other cream foals at that time - but that may be changing. I still have the cream w/ the silver buckskin mare and we are going to be breeding her eventually. She did have a palomino colt right after I purchased him but he didn't make it (dummy foal - hard to treat w/ wild mare)... Not in a hurry to breed her just yet, still working with her as she's a "wild child" and her papers are still not in order either.

Here is the last "group" - actually I'd like to get the two larger mares out of this pen - meant for the "wild-child" shetland mare - but until our fencing is done, they stay together. The red spot is being treated for heaves/copd and cancer - she may stay penned w/ Taff as she is easier to catch and medically treat that way...
default_sad.png

15feb19pen130.jpg

YEP, a rainbow of colors!! Don't have some pictured in these groupings
default_worshippy.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

AH I guess I could make it a little less confusing. 4 pastures/paddocks currently.

In the boys pasture - there are also 2 stud pens w/ gates into the pasture. Sami is a bay spot 1/2 arab & over the years he's been one of our biggest "floaters" - moving from group to group/pasture to pasture depending on who was out w/ who... Right now he's out w/ the boys - when the boarder mini (newly gelded) goes out w/ the boys - he is penned separately as the two constantly fought over the fence and neither I nor boarder want Spanky hurt (or Sami!!). Wizard is a bay spot stallion that is penned - but I am able to turn him out w/ the boys (or have in the past) but right now we have mares running outside this paddock and I don't trust fencing yet, so he doesn't get out much at this time... Cupid - silver spot, Dandy - silver bay spot, Echo - blk spot, Ranger - smokey silver, Rio - silver spot, Sami - bay spot (1/2 shet), Spanky - red and Wizard - bay spot.

Sr mares - Bell - lite silver solid, Bell - lite silver solid, Cheri - bay spot, 'Clipse - bay spot, K-La - red roan, Koalah - dk silver spot, Tory - red spot.

Jr mares - Ami - dk silver solid, Bunny - lt silver spot, Classy - silver spot, Flashi - dk silver spot, Flower - silver bay spot (1/2 shet), GG - silver spot, KoKo - dk silver solid, Shamrock - silver spot.

Corral paddock - Ellona - bay arab, Jazzy - red spot NSH, Taff - silver buckskin.

An update!

Echo - he's now 2 yrs old and growing out VERY WELL. At the moment, yes, he is still being considered as a stallion. I will get some more pics of him this weekend - he's not quite shed out here in this one taken 3 weeks ago, but he's pretty sleek right now and not faded/sunburnt yet for the summer!

15may8ec100626.jpg

Rio - typical for our silvers - is REALLY hanging onto his baby winter woolies. I've groomed him several times since this photo taken and while he is shedding - he still has a lot of woolies left. I swear he's growing it back in as fast as I curry it off of him... Nice personality on this little gelding!!

15may8rio103132.jpg

Bunny - may have appeared "white" as a foal, but she's shedding out incredibly dark this year. Quite the surprise as I wasn't expecting that! She, too, has shed a lot since these taken. Have 3 days off from work - will get some taken after grooming her, too.

15may7bu1949.jpg
15may7bu584.jpg

Julie now owns DanD and I don't have any good shots of him since gelding party in early March...

Back