What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonite it'll be squash soup and cheese toast. The weather suddenly turned to fall over the weekend, so I made a big pot of Butternut squash soup.

I'll probably start a pork roast in the crock pot tomorrow, maybe the next day. Fall brings on the cooking!

LOL! It's the easiest thing ever, sadly I don't really have a 'recipe' for it. Here's what I usually make up:

Squash Soup

1 large Butternut squash, peeled and seeded and cut into 1" chunks

1 medium yellow onion diced small

3 large Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1" chunks

1/4 C butter

Half N Half to taste

48z chicken stock

Saute onions on medium low heat until carmelized slightly- turned a little brown. Add chicken stock, squash, and potatoes and bring to a low boil. Turn heat down and simmer until squash and potatoes are tender. You can leave the soup chunky, or I usually use a stick blender and make it pretty smooth. Add enough half and half to make creamy, and heat back through. I usually use a pint of half and half. Makes a huge batch- and can be frozen too.

Can be served with shredded swiss cheese and bacon bits for extra yummy...

Oh my goodness that sounds so yummy, do you think I could substitute condensed milk for half and half? I'm one of those cooks that hardly ever measures anything, just add a little of this and a little of that. I really need to make this soup, sounds so wonderful!

Not sure what I'm going to make to go with, but I just made up a batch of meatballs to have for supper. We have tons of hamburger, and I really like the meatballs, so they are probably going to become my go to hamburger dish. I'll probably end up making my hubby's favorites sides to go with hamburger; mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans. I don't like gravy, but now that I'm making meatballs I like this meal much better than when it was just with browned ground hamburger.

I think I'm going to start to improve my lunches when I'm here by myself, and eat some meatballs with a veggie for a side. I have yummy assortments of frozen veggies to heat to go with, so just need to do it. Lunch is usually just a sandwich, or maybe mac and cheese, or something else equally quick to make.

Chandab-we are on a similar roll! We had spaghetti and meatballs tonight and are having hamburgers, potato wedges and veggie tomorrow night! I think Friday night I will make Chicken Parmesan with angel hair spaghetti.

Terry, I hope you are feeling better this morning!!!

For this chicken veggie soup I'm making, I'm putting peas, carrots, maybe 1/2 a cup of corn (need to use it), some fresh celery, and possibly some sliced fresh mushrooms in it. Of course, chicken and chicken stock, and seasoning. Would Vidalia onions go okay in it? I have some that could be used... I thought I'd ask my mom, too, but you guys would also know if it's a yes or a no for chicken veggie soup.

I don't see why you couldn't put your valdalia onion in-but I am not sure how much; since we are not big onion users and I am not real sure on the taste and potency of a valdalia.

I got a little creative with my hamburgers tonight. I added some katsup, mustard, pepper and shredded cheddar cheese and mixed it in well. Well-guess I could have left the mustard out, or at least cut the amount. You could definitely taste it. I didn't think it was too bad; but my son didn't especially like it (he at it though)-but he doesn't use mustard on his burgers anyway. They sure were nice and moist though! Had the baked potato wedges, some summer squash and made the guys Bush brand baked beans (original and added "Secret Six BBQ sauce).

Tomorrow night's going to be Potato Soup and Cornbread.

I'm feeling much better, thanks for asking. We had pork chops, hoppen john and spinich last night. Hoppen john is just rice smothered in black eyed peas, love it.

Tonight I fixing a roast mashed taters, gravy and a veggie, think I may make peas. Then tomorrow I'll use the left overs and make vegtable beef soup in the slow cooker.

I swear, I want to come to some of your houses for dinner
default_eat.gif
!!!

Yeah! Who wants to cook when it sounds like visiting around to other homes could provide some of the tastiest meals ever!!!

(tonight's Chicken Parmegian and Angel Hair spaghetti and bakery potato rolls).

OMG! What is your recipe for chicken Parm? And, do you have one for eggplant parm, we have lots of egg plant.

I do live close enough to Jill to have her for dinner, but dang, the rest of you are pretty far away!

Actually I don't have a "real" recipe for the Chicken Parm. I just do my Grandmother's a pinch and this and a pinch of that method.

I usually take boneless skinless chicken breasts. Pound them thin. Dip them in some beaten egg and milk (or you could use buttermilk) and then in either a fine breadcrumb or panko or a flour/cornmeal mixture with salt and pepper. Cook in about 1-2 T. oil (I am usually only cooking for 2) until done and crispy browned. I cook angel hair pasta and make my own spaghetti sauce. Then I take the chicken out on a plate and sprinkle real shredded parmesan and "nuke" a few seconds to slightly melt OR I use a slice of Mozzerella or Havarti cheese and do the same. Put pasta on the side and cover it all with the sauce!

I'm making something "similar" (at least by name) tonight... Parmesan Crusted Chicken (see below), peas / carrots / mushrooms, some kind of fettuccine, probably a tossed salad and an apple dump cake w/ no sugar added apple pie filling
default_eat.gif

Parmesan Crusted Chicken

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I am using GREEK YOGURT instead of mayo -- saves a ton in fat and calories)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lbs.)
  • 4 tsp. Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Combine mayonnaise (or GREEK YOGURT) with cheese in medium bowl. Arrange chicken on baking sheet. Evenly top with Mayonnaise mixture, then sprinkle with bread crumbs.
  3. Bake until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 20 minutes.

That would be even better for me (IBS) with the yogurt (though mayo is ok on me) and the baking is a plus too! yummm!

Tonight we are going the easy route with grilled cheese, baked french fries and a veggie.

Tonight we are having beef stew, as I had some beef left over. I'm cooking it in the slow cooker.

Last night we were naughty! We trimmed hooves yesterday, plus all the usual horse stuff and everyone was sore and tired. So hubby went to town and picked up some fried chicken wings and shrimp fried rice. So not good for us, but oh so good.

I didn't make the grilled cheese last night as I felt "icky". Made chicken noodle soup (just broth, noodles and a mini can of chicken breast) and bakery rolls.

Tonight I am going to make Hot Ham and Cheese Buns with a veggie and salads. (Slices of Deli Ham on a Hamburger bun or Kaiser Roll with a few strips of Bacon -regular or turkey-and a slice of cheddar cheese or two; wrap in foil and bake 350 for about 15 minutes til warm and cheese is all melty gooey. Yummmmmmmm!).

RiverRose: I DO have a recipe for Eggplant Parm

Baked Eggplant Parmesan with Linguini

1 c. flour

1 t. salt

1 t. pepper

2 eggs

1/4 c. water

1 t. dried oregano

3 c. panko breadcrumbs

2 medium eggplants

1/2 a lemon

1/4 c. olive oil

4 ounces fresh mozzerella

1 pound linguini

4 c. Marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 400. combine flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk together the eggs and water in another bowl. Combine the panko and oregano in a third bowl. Remove the stem and bottom of the eggplant and cut 1/2-inch thick slices lengthwise. Rub the cut portions of the eggplant with the lemon wedge to stop browning. Dip the eggplant in the flour and dust off the excess; dip the floured eggplant into the egg mixture and then the panko. Set aside on a large plate and repeat with the remaining eggplant. Meanwhile, heat 1 T. of the olive oil in a heavy cast iron dutch oven or skillet on medium heat. Working in batches, brown the breaded eggplants for about 3 minutes on each side, being careful not to crowd the pan. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, using 1 T. of olive oil for each batch. Top each eggplant with a thin slice of fresh mozzerella and bake for 15 minutes. Bring 3 qts. of water to a boil. Cook the linguini according to package instructions. Drain. Divide the linguini evenly on 8 warm serving plates, cover with 1/2 c. heated sauce and top with the eggplant parm. serve.

Also:

Meaty Eggplant Casserole

2 eggplants, sliced diagonally

2 t. salt

1/4 c. plus 1 T. olive oil

1 pound ground beef

2 large onions, thinly sliced

3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or one 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes)

2 T. tomato paste

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 t. allspice

1 t. sugar

salt to taste

Nonstick cooking spray

1/2 c. feta cheese (or mozzerella as my H. doesn't like feta)

Sprinke both sides of the eggplant slices with the salt. Pile the slices in a colander, cover them with a small plate and weight. Leave for 20 minutes. Rinse with water and press dry with a towel. Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of each eggplant slice with olive oil and cook for about 4 minutes per side. In a nonstick skillet cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. Drain off excess fat. Set aside. Cook the onions in remaining olive oil until soft and pale yellow, about 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes, paste, and garlic; season with the allspice and sugar and salt to taste. Cook the sauce for 5 minutes. Return the ground beef to pan and stir. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a large glass casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer the eggplant and sauce mixture in the casserole dish, starting with the eggplant and finishing with sauce. Bake for 20 minutes. Crumble cheese on top and bake 5 minutes more. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.

I'm going to send these eggplant recipes to my mom! She loves eggplant... And believe it or not, my first "going steady" boyfriend was nicknamed / known by all as Eggplant!

Tonight here it will be some left over lemon-herb pork loin (it was delicious the other day!), that mixture of mashed potatoes / mashed cauliflower (to cut the carbs way down), chicken gravy unless I find a can of pork gravy in the pantry, buttered baby carrots, and tossed salad.

Back