What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night, I cooked a pork tenderloin that was mesquite marinated. The flavor was good (it came pre-packaged in the marinade), but I think I cooked it too long. My mom makes pork tenderloin sometimes and hers is always so good, but she has a medical procedure yesterday so I didn't bend her ear as to how she cooks it. I have another one, and will before I make it. Had it with mashed potatoes, peas & carrots, and a big salad.

We've been sending food over to a friend and it's been a lot more fun really now that there's someone else to share the food with and it's not easy to cook for only two people, so it's a help, too, that she is eating from our kitchen
default_smile.png

Today, I want to make this "Lazy Egg" thing I saw on the internet that you make in muffin cups. It looks pretty neat, and I hear it's pretty good, too!

LAZY EGGS

1. Spray each muffin well with nonstick spray.
  2. Place a slice of ham in the bottom of each muffin well....
  3. Place about a teaspoon or so of diced tomatoes on top of the ham.
  4. Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over the tomatoes.
  5. Break one egg into each spot.Sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper on each.
  6. Bake at 180/350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until the yolks are as firm as you desire and the whites are cooked through.
lazy-eggs-.jpg

Tonight is slocooker Waldorf Astoria Stew. I don't where I got this recipe and I have had it awhile and it is absolutely delicious!!! We even serve it to company. You all have got to try it at least once!

SloCooker WALDORF ASTORIA STEW

3# stewing beef, cubed

1 medium onion, chopped

1 cup celery, sliced

2 cups carrots, sliced

4 medium potatoes, cubed

3 Tablespoons of Minute Tapioca

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 Tablespoon salt (I cut it to 1/2)

1/2 teaspoon pepper

10 3/4 oz. tomato juice

1/3 cup water

Layer the beef (browned if desired), onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes in the slocooker. Sprinkle with seasonings and tapioca. Add the tomato juice and water. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours.

We serve it with homemade baking powder biscuits and tossed salad. Or artisan french rolls.

^ that sounds so good!!!

Here tonight, it's going to be turkey chili, tossed salad, and beer bread
default_eat.gif

Easy lasagna for dinner tonight. Found a recipe and I almost have all the ingredients. Just hamburger, jar of spaghetti sauce, lasagna noodles, water, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. The only cheese I have is a mix, but I'm going to make it any way. It'll be something different to make with hamburger, and I need to use up the lasagna noodles.

I have used that Lasagna recipe. I like it cuz it's quicker and easier than the original recipes. I have used different cheeses in it too.

Tonight we had chicken breasts over angel hair and marinara sauce with mozzarella cheese melted on top and french style green beans.

It wasn't bad, and he had seconds so must have been pretty good. Just glad to have a different recipe for hamburger; I'm so sick of hamburger, but we have lots of it, so must find things to do with it (especially just browned, crumbled hamburger).

It sounds good, because pot pie always sounds good!!! I'm looking now................. Does this look about right? I'm ready to eat it anytime
default_biggrin.png

Easy Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 2/3 cups frozen vegetables, thawed
  • 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (I use low sodium)
  • 1 cup Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix (regular Bisquick will work too)
  • 1/2 cup nonfat milk or 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg
DIRECTIONS:

• Preheat oven to 400°F.
  • Mix chicken, veggies and cream of chicken soup together and spread into bottom of non greased 9-inch round glass pie pan.
  • Mix remaining ingredients (Bisquick, milk and egg) and pour on top of chicken mixture.
  • Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until top turns golden brown.
Trying this tonight!
default_smile.png

Just a small update... I am making the chicken in the crock pot now, and think I will have 2 thighs left over... would like to think of something to do with them, but if I can't... a bigger potpie, figuring the dogs will get some leftovers (??? ideas ???).

The other day on TV, I saw this "Pepperoni Casserole" that sounded very good and used zucchini along with those cork screw pasta noodles. I don't ever crave zucchini, but love how it cut the carbs in the casserole. It had tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, onions, garlic, etc. in it and looked easy to make. I plan to make it soon and if it turns out good, I will post all the details
default_eat.gif

Last night, I cooked a pork tenderloin that was mesquite marinated. The flavor was good (it came pre-packaged in the marinade), but I think I cooked it too long. My mom makes pork tenderloin sometimes and hers is always so good, but she has a medical procedure yesterday so I didn't bend her ear as to how she cooks it. I have another one, and will before I make it. Had it with mashed potatoes, peas & carrots, and a big salad.

We've been sending food over to a friend and it's been a lot more fun really now that there's someone else to share the food with and it's not easy to cook for only two people, so it's a help, too, that she is eating from our kitchen
default_smile.png

Today, I want to make this "Lazy Egg" thing I saw on the internet that you make in muffin cups. It looks pretty neat, and I hear it's pretty good, too!

LAZY EGGS

1. Spray each muffin well with nonstick spray.
  2. Place a slice of ham in the bottom of each muffin well....
  3. Place about a teaspoon or so of diced tomatoes on top of the ham.
  4. Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over the tomatoes.
  5. Break one egg into each spot.Sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper on each.
  6. Bake at 180/350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until the yolks are as firm as you desire and the whites are cooked through.
lazy-eggs-.jpg
We had this over the weekend, and it was good, but I do think it would be better w/o the tomatoes (canned / diced when I made it) and H agreed. Will be trying it again, breaking his yokes and leaving mine runny. When I made it the first time, I slightly scrambled each egg before putting it in the cup with the canadian bacon, tomatoes and cheese.

Tonight we are having steak, baked potatoes, and fried green tomatoes.

I spent most of today in town, it was mammo time! Then I went shopping since it is raining.

I'm sure most of you already know how to make fried green tomatoes, but here is my way.

I take several good sized green tomatoes, slice, dip into beat egg wash then dip into equal parts of flour and corn meal, with added salt, pepper and peprika. I frie till golden brown and serve with ranch dressing. really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, man, that sounds GOOD!!!

We are having a quiche my mom made, potato pancakes that my mom made, and a tossed salad I slapped together. Easy night, but my mom's sooooo good a cook
default_eat.gif

Tonight we are having steak, baked potatoes, and fried green tomatoes.
I spent most of today in town, it was mammo time! Then I went shopping since it is raining.
I'm sure most of you already know how to make fried green tomatoes, but here is my way.
I take several good sized green tomatoes, slice, dip into beat egg wash then dip into equal parts of flour and corn meal, with added salt, pepper and peprika. I frie till golden brown and serve with ranch dressing. really good.

I keep meaning to try fried green tomatoes and just never get around to it! They sound good. I remember reading the Little House on the Prairie books and Ma made a green tomato pie that tasted like apple. I think she made it like it was apples. Want to try that too.

Tonight I made BBQ Meatballs in the oven with mashed potatoes and green beans. I actually had a little Lemon Pepper chicken tenderloin with a meatball.

Last night I cooked a chicken whole in the oven, and surrounded it with quarted potatoes, and sliced carrots. So I have some of it left over, so, tonight I'm makeing chicken stew in the slow cooker. I already started it. I took all the remaining meat cut into chunks, pototoes cut smaller, added some of the fat from the drippings from last night, added chopped onion, and two cups of hot water and a bullion cube. I'll let that cook all day on low, then add a can of mixed veggies, take out some of the liquid and make a gravy with milk, add that back in. Now that I think of it, I think I'll also make some buscuits to have with. Poor mans meal, but good and filling.

Last night I cooked a chicken whole in the oven, and surrounded it with quarted potatoes, and sliced carrots. So I have some of it left over, so, tonight I'm makeing chicken stew in the slow cooker. I already started it. I took all the remaining meat cut into chunks, pototoes cut smaller, added some of the fat from the drippings from last night, added chopped onion, and two cups of hot water and a bullion cube. I'll let that cook all day on low, then add a can of mixed veggies, take out some of the liquid and make a gravy with milk, add that back in. Now that I think of it, I think I'll also make some buscuits to have with. Poor mans meal, but good and filling.
All of this sounds very yummy.

I have hamburger in the fridge, but have no idea what to make with it. Might just make plain ole hamburgers and call it good.

Just can't seem to get motivated to cook much anymore. Tonight I made baked mosstocoli (can't spell it!) with mozzerella on top. And sourdough bread and "butter" (SmartBalance). Need to dig out the recipe box and favorite cookbooks and start making weekly menus again I guess!

Here tonight, it's Pepperoni and Cheese Casserole (first time I've made it), green beans or peas & carrots, and a tossed salad.

Hopefully this will turn out well, and I like that it has zucchini in it, which will go a good ways toward cutting the carbs in the pasta, and get more fiber and veggies in it. My sister has been trying to get her kids to eat more kinds of food and slipping in new veggies, so if this is good, they may like it as well.

Apparently, you can make this with sausage instead of pepperoni, or whatever kind of meat you like.

Pepperoni and Cheese Casserole

Ingredients:

• Canola oil
  • Kosher salt
  • One 1-pound box rotini pasta
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • One 6-ounce package sliced pepperoni, roughly chopped
  • One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes (I first saw this recipe on TV "Sandra's Money Saving Meals" on the Food Channel, and when I watched her do it just now again, she does not drain the tomatoes)
  • 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped (I am going to use some from my spice jar)
  • Freshly ground black pepper (I hate pepper, so will omit)
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella (I'm using part skim and grating it myself)
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (planning to omit)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 teaspoon oil.Bring a large pasta pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add a big pinch of salt and the pasta. Cover and return the water to a boil. Remove the cover and cook for 5 minutes. The pasta will not be completely cooked through.Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When it is hot, add the onions and zucchini and cook until they are softened and brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and pepperoni and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and basil and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Reserve 1 cup of the tomato sauce for another use, such as Round 2 Recipe Garlic Bread Pizza.Stir in the pasta and cheese into the skillet. Pour into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top and drizzle with the 1 tablespoon oil. Bake until the top is browned and the casserole is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.

I think I am going to add one diced green pepper because I need to use some of those up, and will put that in when I sauté the onions and zucchini. Also, I think I will sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top of it before baking.

This is a picture of what I hope it will look like
default_biggrin.png

SM0509H_Pepperoni-and-Cheese-Casserole_s4x3_lg.jpg

FYI, this stuff was really good!!!
default_yes.gif

I'm excited to "cut the pasta carbs" in other dishes, too, with zucchini (and / or squash -- unsure if they would work the same but zucchini sure seems to with a red based dish).

Wanting to do a ham or bacon white sauce pasta dish (using ziti tube pasta), and planning to use my two remaining zucchinis to see if that turns out.

If so, a great way to cut carbs, reduce calories, and add fiber.
default_eat.gif

Here tonight, it's Pepperoni and Cheese Casserole (first time I've made it), green beans or peas & carrots, and a tossed salad.

Hopefully this will turn out well, and I like that it has zucchini in it, which will go a good ways toward cutting the carbs in the pasta, and get more fiber and veggies in it. My sister has been trying to get her kids to eat more kinds of food and slipping in new veggies, so if this is good, they may like it as well.

Apparently, you can make this with sausage instead of pepperoni, or whatever kind of meat you like.

Pepperoni and Cheese Casserole

Ingredients:

• Canola oil
  • Kosher salt
  • One 1-pound box rotini pasta
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • One 6-ounce package sliced pepperoni, roughly chopped
  • One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes (I first saw this recipe on TV "Sandra's Money Saving Meals" on the Food Channel, and when I watched her do it just now again, she does not drain the tomatoes)
  • 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped (I am going to use some from my spice jar)
  • Freshly ground black pepper (I hate pepper, so will omit)
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella (I'm using part skim and grating it myself)
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (planning to omit)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 teaspoon oil.Bring a large pasta pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add a big pinch of salt and the pasta. Cover and return the water to a boil. Remove the cover and cook for 5 minutes. The pasta will not be completely cooked through.Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When it is hot, add the onions and zucchini and cook until they are softened and brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and pepperoni and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and basil and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Reserve 1 cup of the tomato sauce for another use, such as Round 2 Recipe Garlic Bread Pizza.Stir in the pasta and cheese into the skillet. Pour into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top and drizzle with the 1 tablespoon oil. Bake until the top is browned and the casserole is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.

I think I am going to add one diced green pepper because I need to use some of those up, and will put that in when I sauté the onions and zucchini. Also, I think I will sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top of it before baking.

This is a picture of what I hope it will look like
default_biggrin.png

SM0509H_Pepperoni-and-Cheese-Casserole_s4x3_lg.jpg
I will have to try this one but with sausage. My husband loves sausage. Since we are on a health kick the pasta will have to be wheat pasta but I know we would enjoy this dish.

For me fresh basil leaves spice up a pasta dish like nothing else will. I skipped planting herbs this year, although I do have rosemary that never stops growing. Anyway, I bought a pack of fresh basil yesterday. I have been making a pasta sauce in the processor that has tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, basil, sun dried tomatoes, and if you can believe this dates! It is sweet, aromatic, fresh, and simply yummy.

A couple of nights ago I cooked us a PORTERHOUSE STEAK to share. It has been literally too hot here to grill on the outdoor grill...lately it is 106 degrees in the shade. So this weekend before buying this pretty steak I first went to K Mart and purchased a cast iron stovetop grill with a flat iron and came home and cooked it on the stove in the comfort of the kitchen. I seasoned it with Montreal steak seasoning and cooked it 8 minutes on each side with the flat iron pressing it down. It was better than what you get at a steak restaurant. The pan costs just under $17 so I feel it was a good purchase. It will be perfect for cooking Panini sandwiches or even grilling asparagus and other veggies.

That sounds delicious! Tonight we had what I labeled "Scout's Looks Like Slop, but Tastes Better" (ughh, huh?). I peeled and diced potatoes and cooked them. Steamed some mixed veggies. Browned up some ground beef, added butter, flour, thyme, basil, pepper, and garlic. Stirred in some chicken broth and simmered and stirred to make a little sauce and added in the veggies and potatoes. Not too bad! Made cornbread to go with it. The guy's actually cleaned it up! Must have been the name, as they were both scouts!

Tomorrow I am going to throw some pork chops in the crockpot to slocook. Not sure what else I am going to do yet to go with them though.

Latest posts

Back